More Star Wars films announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Feb 6, 2013.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    "Awww, man....I shot Jar Jar in the face!"

2. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Now that I think about it, "Galactic Basic" would have been the better joke. Ah, hindsight.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Nah. Huttese was better.

But if you really wanted to impress, you would've chosen Geonosian.

4. cooleddie74

Nah, it's all about the astro droid beeps, boops and whistles.

"Say BOOP again, motherf**cker! I dare you, say BOOP again!!"

5. tighr

You're right. I should have concentrated on the moment. Feel, not think. Trust my instincts.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

"Fett? who's Fett?"
    "Fetts dead baby, Fetts dead"

7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Fett was just a punk who got hit by a blind man

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was pretty ridiculous.

Except—

According to the serial film tropes that that "demise" had all the earmarks of being drawn from, Boba getting eaten by the sarlacc was just a setback.

I expect Boba to be back, "madder than ever," perhaps still dripping with sarlacc juice.

9. cooleddie74

I'd never call Boba Fett a "punk," but yeah his supposed demise at the hands of a half-blind man holding a long metal pole was probably the least satisfying death in all of modern sci-fi/fantasy, and that includes Tasha Yar being whacked by a talking oil slick and James T. Kirk being flattened and croaking under a metal bridge.

I used to not care for the post-ROTJ stories that chronicled Boba's escape from the Sarlaac and return to action but I've grown to appreciate them a little more as the years have passed. One of the most skilled and notorious bounty hunters of that galaxy getting eaten by a huge sand vagina that burps isn't the appropriate end for the badass who hauled Han Solo away in carbonite.

10. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh, for me it's called irony when a bad ass dies in a humiliating and expected way.

Sames goes for Palpy being hurled over a guard rail into a reaction chamber by his own protege.

11. cooleddie74

Palpatine's death was remarkably satisfying. Dying at the hands of your own apprentice, the man he repeatedly lied to about his wife's death? The guy he manipulated and twisted ever since he was a boy and helped turn into one of the galaxy's great monsters?

All things considered Palpatine was lucky he didn't get worse. Anakin was merciful.

12. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always felt Fett survived the fall into the Sarlaac pit. Nobody else thrown in there had body armor full of weaponry.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He wasn't there for her death ( neither was Anakin :techman: ). As far as he knew, what he was saying about it was true.

14. cooleddie74

True. From a certain point of view. :techman:

Sure, that's possible and I've definitely entertained it in the past, but a couple of the novels written after Episode III was in theaters seem to strongly hint at the Emperor knowing through the Dark Side that Anakin/Vader hadn't actually killed Padmé when he Force choked her on Mustafar and that she had indeed survived for a short time after the incident. He might have told Vader that he killed her as the straw to break the apprentice's back....the moment that truly shattered his spirit and ensured his conversion to the Dark Side of the Force and to the Emperor himself.

Palpatine had to destroy the last connection Vader had to his former life even if that meant making him think he had killed his own wife. He had led Anakin down the dark path of temptation by telling him he could save Padmé from dying....having failed to do so (and making him think that he actually killed her himself) would render him a complete shell of a man that Sidious could then mold into the kind of apprentice and henchman that he needed to help rule his new Empire.

Again, these are the impressions left by a couple of the books and it all depends on if you give the novels much if any canonical weight in your view of the Star Wars universe. I pick and choose myself but Palpatine knowing the truth but deliberately lying to Vader in order to crush his heart and spirit seems like something the Emperor would do....and gladly.

15. tighr

That's all well and good, but do the books explain why this super-smart Emperor guy decided to let Luke and Leia live? If he knows Padme wasn't dead, then surely he could use the same superpowers to figure out the two kids are alive. Doesn't make sense that he'd let them grow up unsupervised.

Also, he seems genuinely unaware that Luke was alive in Empire Strikes Back. But he does make the prudent decision to decide to supplant Vader with his son. The Emperor never seems to know that Leia is also Vader's child, either.

16. cooleddie74

What can I say? The Star Wars universe can be an inconsistent and frustrating mess when it wants. Something's always conflicting with another thing.

A lot of it seems to be up to personal interpretation. Lucas and other writers seem to revel in Obi-Wan's own words to Luke in Jedi.

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Hubris. It always works.

18. cooleddie74

And it's always possible (hell, we're talking the Lucas universe here) that the Emperor knew Padmé survived her husband's attack but never that she gave birth to twins. He might have believed that her baby (singular) died with her. The Dark Side's a very powerful thing, but come on. Vader was standing just a few inches from his own daughter on multiple occasions and never realized it.

It and its practicioners obviously have their flaws and limitations.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Fett probably deserved better, but his death was still part of a very fun and exciting action sequence so I've always been kinda okay with it.

And we at least DID get to see him use some of his cool weaponry, so it's not like he didn't put up any kind of fight at all.

I always USED to think so, but now, after all the screentime he got in the prequels, and after that huge, epic battle he had with Yoda in ROTS where he was throwing giant podiums around with the Force, his death in ROTJ now seems kind of... quick and anticlimactic to me.

I realize this is many years later, but you'd still think he'd be able to put up more of a fight against Vader than THAT, considering what we've seen him do with the Force before.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might think so, if Episode VI had been made after Episode III was in the can. But it wasn't.

There are many ways that the PT doesn't match up with the OT. I found the Emperor's death satisfying in 1983, and I still find it that way today, even after seeing all the whiz-bang of the PT.

Sometimes "less" is more. ROTJ still manages to be better than at least 2 of the 3 PT films, and it's a toss-up comparing it to ROTS. On the other hand, ANH and TESB are hands-down better than all of them.