Surviving Vulcan Elders.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by T'Girl, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Spock has learned a thing or two about meddling in time, though. COTEOF and Yesteryear ended on some sour notes. After setting Kirk and Spock on the right path he may be content to let things flow as they will. Pulling resources to stop the Space Amoeba or the Doomsday Machine might do more harm than good.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sheer percentages would indicate more than 10,000 people were off planet at the time. Take... America today. Boom, blow it up. I guarantee there are more than 10,000 Americans alone outside of the country right now. Tourists, military personnel, businesses, foreign embassies, etc. And we're just 300 million as opposed to the 6 billion figure offered.

I think the 10,000 number was just survivors off Vulcan and that there had to be people off world, especially given it's part of the Federation. Especially when Enterprise establishes they have outposts and temples on other worlds. They probably have full fledged colonies too.

3. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And we come full circle and fall into a PD discussion....zzzz

Well, how about a what would you do discussion?

If it were me AT THE LEAST...I would tell Starfleet all I know about the TOS threats we've discussed and let them deal with it.

If the Feds are the benevolent society we're supposed to think they are (despite Section 31) **** the balance of power. I'm telling them *everything*, consequences be damned.

If they're like the U.S.? Hell no. I wouldn't trust our government with a cure for the common cold.

4. Dale Sams

If they have colonies, why do they need to establish a colony? Also Vulcan is a member of the Federation. Why would Vulcan have its own embassy on Qo'nos? And since places like Andor are fellow members, why would they have an embassy there also? Throw in some Vulcan xenophobia too.

Also remember Spock was supposed to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet (wasn't he?)

But for fanwank purposes, I can see your position being right also.

5. Nerys Myk

No, he was never said to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet.

Does Vulcan have an Embassy on Qo'nos?

6. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

They might have off-world bases set up for various scientific purposes, but no actual colony where they could bring their families and settle.

7. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

He intervened in Earth's past, either completing a closed causal loop, or altering the timeline slightly and subtly changing the future. If it is the latter, then they returned to a slightly alternate timeline (they overwrote the original). What reason do we have to suspect this happened? They didn't just locate whales. They brought bought a 20th century woman, took on a whaling vessel, stole fuel from another ship, and left behind the formula for transparent aluminum.

The sequence of time in STIV did need to be fixed, not because anyone actively changed the past through temporal hijinks, but because the human race passively stood by and allowed whales to go extinct.

And we need look no further than City on the Edge of Forever to see Spock actively working to fix temporal damage. He does so in other episodes too. He only grudgingly concedes that an F104 pilot, for example, should be returned home when he finds that his future child will be a colonist on Mars. Spock is willing to go to rather extreme measures to fix and/or preserve timelines. Edith Keeler Must Die!

8. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Was willing. In his younger days. Seems to have gotten over the compulsion as of late. Past actions no guarantee of future behaviour. Etc.

9. Nerys Myk

But he was't going there because the timeline was altered. That wasn't the reason for the trip. ST VI didn't fix anything though. The whales will still go extinct.

Yeah there are a few ripples caused by ST IV. The whales would have died if not for Kirk and Co. So that's a wash, the whales are gone either way.

Spock and Kirk had some pretty good motivations in COTEOF. They needed to rescue McCoy and give them their present back. Still it ended badly for Kirk, who had to watch Edith die. And Spock who had to witness his friends pain. Like I said, Spock has learned from his time travels and by the time of ST09 he's less inclined to meddle.

10. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Anything is possible, but we must ask what is more likely given the motivation and justification we've seen in the past. Presumption is on the side of Spock acting to save future lives. Spock's behavior in the new film is part of that which is at issue (i.e., does this make sense?) so we cannot simply point to what Spock does in the movie. Past action is no guarantee, but it does form the presumptive basis of character.

And it's not about playing God. It's about knowing a little bit more than your peers and being able to act on that knowledge to save lives. I don't see why Spock or anyone else wouldn't. It's not a TPD violation. There are no obvious "defeaters" in the cases I have discussed, aside the bare possibility of butter fly wing disadvantages. He has positive knowledge of how to prevent the countless deaths using mundane means which would not upset the balance of power or deprive the Federation of its many other problems and challenges (e.g., the Klingons).

I've already noted that they could hang a lantern on this as on opportunity (i.e., this is a perfect justification for them not to have to retell every TOS story - not only is this a different timeline, but Old Spock can steer them away from old problems so that they may have new adventures).

Ah well, it's no big deal, but I do think it is an interesting question. As of now, there is a big question mark hanging out with the surviving Vulcan elders.

11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Again, Spock can inform them of each and every example you mention and it need not alter what we see going forward one iota. As long as there is no attempt to specifically revisit any story from TOS onscreen, Spock's actions (or lack thereof) are moot.

What I do NOT want is screen time devoted to discussions about things Spock said or didn't say about any of these things. Let it be entirely offscreen where either interpretation remains valid.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, that cuts into my latte budget.

Anyway, quadrupling nothing is...nothing. There have never been any serious plans for establishing an independent, viable human culture anywhere other than Earth. There's really nowhere liveable to go that we have any idea how to reach - and the economics of getting to and building on the few less-than-deadly worlds we know of are ridiculous. Putting down a few dozen or a hundred human beings to live extraordinarily limited lives in sealed environments is not exactly establishing a beachhead for species survival.

13. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

We only went to the Moon because the Russians said that they were and we wanted to beat them. Since they decided they didn't want to go, the space race ended.

But if China says they're putting a base on the Moon or Mars, we'll probably go back to beat them.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Going someplace and coming back - or even going there and digging a hole where you can live for a while - isn't "getting off this rock" as a way of protecting the human race from nuclear war, et al.

The reasoning seems to be that since we arguably aren't making a go of surviving in a lush, welcoming and completely livable environment with every kind of resource that we need, the best solution is for a few people to flee to some wasteland somewhere that maintaining breathable air requires a highly technical ongoing effort and seeing if we can start over better there.

Huh?

Just because imaginative and romantic images of space exploration appealed to children for a couple of generations doesn't make those stories a basis for real future planning any more than having a radioactive spider bite some high school kid constitutes a solution to New York street crime.

15. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Is this romanticism a flip side of an even deeper pessimism? Giving up on the hope of fixing the seemingly intractable problems we face on this planet?

16. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Who is to say the Abramsverse will have the same wars and catastrophies as the mainverse?!?
    The Mirrorverse is a good example of that, as does "Yesterday's Enterprise"...

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The reasoning is that the Abramsverse split from Prime when Nero appeared in 2233, they share a common past. 25 years of change in local space probably wouldn't account for events like V'Ger or the Whale Probe, whose cogs have been turning for centuries.

18. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

That begs the question of how 10,000 people got off Vulcan. Nero destroyed the fleet that arrived from Earth. I can't imagine him allowing Vulcans to escape seeing as he wanted to kill them all. There's no indication in the movie that there's any other surviving ships in orbit of Vulcan. The NuEnterprise may be big bit I can't imagine it was ab;e to beam up 10,000 people especially given the problems they had beaming up Kirk and Sulu to say nothing of Amanda. NuChekov may be good but he's not THAT good.

Assuming 10,000 people beamed up six at a time would require 1,666 transporter cycles. Even with 10 transporters (a guess, we don't know how many transporters the ship has) operating you're looking at each of them performing 166 beam up cycles.

And then there's the question of where you put them.

It's clear that the original intention was that there were only 10,000 Vulcans left in total.

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

And there's no indication that there isn't. There. Problem solved.

20. Dale Sams

It's a big planet. The Narada can't be on both sides at once tethered as it is....