Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movies

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Overlord, Dec 10, 2012.

1. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

I certainly don't think they should have based the film around her but I was always surprised they didn't have Selar cameo in Nemesis to get all the main cast TNG actors in there. She could easily have been one of the Romulans killed at the start.

I suppose she could even have taken the rather thankless "Romulan who changes sides and turns up at the battle to contribute nothing" role.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It would have explained why people couldn't just have gone to the opposite side of the planet from the Baku, and stayed at a health resort.

:)

3. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

I kind of wish they had brought back the villian from "Space Seed" - what was his name again? I bet they could have built a pretty decent movie about him.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Who, John Harrison?

I vote Sela, even if just to be one of the Rommies killed in NEM (it would have been a nice way of getting all the original TNG cast back onscreen for their last outing), while Tomalak could have been on Donatra's ship.

I don't particularly care for Lore but he might have made more sense in NEM than B/4.

Kang, Koloth or Kor ought to have been in TUC and/ or TSFS.

5. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, this. I feel rather strongly that Q would've been best left alone in his appearances in TNG (ie. ditch "Q-Less" and the Voyager episodes). There was a certain epic poem-quality to his arc in TNG. His last appearance in "All Good Things" should have been his last appearance, period. (Just as the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie should have been the last one, period.) After that, it would've felt cheap.

And "All Good Things" definitely should count as a TNG film for these purposes.

That's exactly what they should've done with Sela. Brief cameo, nothing crazy. But would've allowed a full reunion of the cast and made for a nice little continuity Easter egg.

I see your point about Lore, but I feel B-4 was a stronger character for the story. Data already went through the trauma of finding Lore, discovering that he's evil, and then eventually being forced to deactivate (kill) him. That was a great character arc, and it would've been cheapened by bringing him back in NEM. Also, keeping B-4 allowed an implicit parallel with the Lore arc: Data finds a brother and is eventually forced to deactivate him, but for different reasons. Also, knowing Soong made more than two functioning androids increasing the mystery, and I like that.

6. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Please tell me you meant Sela and not Selar! I don't want Dr. Selar to turn out to be a Romulan or to get killed! :eek:

Well, they did this ripoff of "Nemesis" with Judson Scott in it... :p

Personally I'm still trying to decide whether Bob Picardo's scene in "First Contact" counts as a character appearance. :borg:

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Kang was retrofitted into TUC via "Flashback" (VOY).

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was disappointed they didn't take a rather obvious move and have O'brien on the Defiant with Worf during First Contact. As long as he was with the TNG crew, he deserved being in at least one of the movies.

9. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's the twist no one would have seen coming! Or my cock up.

Agreed on an O'Brien cameo somewhere would have been nice. Having a whisky at Riker's wedding would have been cool.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would've dropped Denise Crosby into the background of one of the Enterprise scenes in a Starfleet uniform with the Tasha Yar haircut. No lines.

Fandom would've imploded.

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The biggest problem with using established side characters from the show (Dukat, Garak) is the need to explain them. There will always be people going to a Trek movie just for shits and giggles, people who have never seen TNG for example. When you then do a movie about Q, they're going to wonder just who that is, without using half the movie to 'explain' Q to non-Trekkies.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The audience isn't stupid. There's nothing about the characters you mentioned that can't be explained in a very short exposition. Actually, all you need to understand is what they are (Dukat: Cardassian leader, Garak: former spy, now tailor, Q: omnipotent being) and that they have a history with the main characters. You don't even need to know what history. If it's relevant to the story, it will explain itself during the unfolding of the plot. If it's irrelevant anyway, nobody needs to know it. Seriously, it's not that hard, it happens in every single film you watch.

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i dont buy that argument. TNG's series finale "All Good Things" proved how you could use Q in an antagonistic way, but keep the focus on Picard and the crew. And, to me, "All Good Things" was a far superior story to Generations.

14. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I do think it would have been nice to have had Sela in NEM, so they could get all of the old gang back together--even done a Wesley in have her scene cut from the final film but have her appear on screen at some point. Would have been a nice tip of the hat to S1 TNG.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish Katsulas would have still been alive because Tomalak in Nemesis would have made that movie so much better. I would have also wanted to see Sela in that movie. Hell, instead of what we got, I was always hoping Nemesis could have tied up the lose ends from "The Defector" and "Unification".

16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And still, there will be people that are put off by it. That's one of the reasons that Trek movies didn't do all that well compared to other movies. Some non-Trekkies go see them, sure. But most people think 'damn, I probably need to see the shows a lot to get the movies'. So yeah, I stand by my statement, using 'villians' from the show that need explaining won't work. Even with a few short scenes, since you can't help but wonder if you would have enjoyed the movie more if you had seen the show.

17. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you mean what was HER name, and it's Lt. Marla McGivers. That traiterous bitch turned on the crew and allowed some Mexican/Indian guy to put Kirk in a giant clothes dryer. Frankly I'm glad they never followed up on that horrible episode.

18. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. I found it especially annoying that he didn't at least cameo at Riker and Troi's wedding in Nemesis.

19. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Andreas Katsulas died in 2006 and Nemesis was released in 2002, so Tomalak could have been in Nemesis. They just didn't use him.

20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Genius idea!!!!!! :bolian: