What do people want for the 50th?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Captain Jed R., Oct 27, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My biggest fear is that they'll take the episodes and "up-rezz" them and release them that way.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Given that they're "newer", they might just do that. Some of the work on TNG-R looks cheap and rushed.

3. BillJ

They did it with "Trials and Tribble-ations" on the TOS season two Blu-ray set. The result was rather shitty. :eek:

4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they wait too long we'll be asking about the 4K versions. LOL! But I'm going to keep my optimism about DS9 on Bluray at least. I'm hoping for an announcement sometime next year. I heard it somewhere on the internets, so it must be true! :biggrin:

5. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Guys, Blu-ray sales are not the only measure CBS Digital is using to decide to move forward with HD DS9. And they will not take a break--I expect that they will announce DS9 on Blu-ray during the work on the S7 TNG set. If they don't, then yeah, DS9 on Blu-ray is probably not happening. But it makes no sense to take a break, they are ramped up now.

6. BillJ

According to people supposedly "in the know", TrekCore.com has reported on its site and mentioned it here more than once that DS9-HD is entirely tied to the performance of TNG's Blu-ray sales (I've disagreed but have been told I'm wrong).

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=8063110&postcount=223

For them to keep up the release schedule, they would have to start working on DS9 season one here in the next few months to make an October 2014 release date for season one.

7. dub

I take Michael Okuda at his word. He tends to know things. :)

[​IMG]

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder how long after that tweet did he cash the check from CBS for saying that? :p

9. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Note he said "sales of TNG in HD", rather than sales of TNG on BD. TNG's sales need to show proof that money can be made for converting DS9, but it doesn't have to all come from BD sales. If SyFy, Spike, or BBCA comes in and offers a large chunk of money for HD rights for DS9 that would be sales. Similarly Netflix, Amazon, iTunes can have a large impact. If no one is interested in buying TNG in HD then DS9 will never be done, but if TNG has good sales(across all mediums) then CBS will be much more likely to greenlight DS9.

10. dub

he also said "continue to support," suggesting the trend was positive at the time of the tweet (back in January). So that gives me hope!