Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Allyn Gibson, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They mentioned the White Hot Room in a recent issue... I believe the Secret Avengers tie-in?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ You're correct. Secret Avengers #26 it appears to be.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

We learned the identity of Hope's biological mother (killed in the Cooperstown massacre) and met her maternal grandmother in Uncanny X-Men 526. The identity of her biological father is still unknown. Perhaps the father was a Grey?

4. Admiral_Young

I didn't know they revealed the mother. To be honest I only started reading regularly again a few months before Schism happened. I've continued to catch up on Fraction's Uncanny run prior to that.

Uncanny X-Men #11: This was a very solid issue, perhaps my favourite of the book so far. I love when the writers decide to get into the heads of the characters and explain their motivations for their actions or agendas. My opinion hasn't been swayed on anything yet. Interesting move by Scott at the end of the issue to unleash Kildare, ahhh Scott ever the strategist. The letter was interesting indeed. I don't know though if the mainstream human population will ever support mutantkind given their increased hysteria and prejudiced attitude towards Utopia at the moment, no matter what the government attempts to do to them. There is no one on Utopia that the humans can relate to in this matter, except perhaps Hope. I loved Namor's little comment about Emma. He really has no tact or care for wanting other people's women, a good example of his arrogance and ego as a King. It does support my statement that the only reason that Namor is there is because he admires Scott so much. I believe the same to be true for Erik. Nice homage to the end of Morrison's New X-Men run where Hope laments that she and Logan talked and she asked her to kill her (and Peter's attempt to stop Logan), exactly what Jean told him to do when they were trapped on Asteroid M and she went full blown Phoenix mode. I know that Greg Land has a negative reputation among fans, but I really have enjoyed his art work...oh and I absolutely love this "Unit" person. He's a very interesting new villain. A wildcard player in this conflict if you will. So far this is the best issue of the event and it's a tie-in issue, that's rare.

Spider-Man is an interesting character in this conflict since he has obvious long connections with both groups. Marvel has stated that he will not be a player in this conflict and were having meetings to discuss the fallout of the battle and how it would effect the rest of the Marvel Universe outside the two main groups. Peter's recent motto that no one will die says to me that he will bow out of this battle. This is going to be a slug fest and as I stated in the Marvel thread, there will be deaths IMO...I can't see Peter being a willing part of this battle, especially given his side swapping during the Civil War.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mothers are generally a few feet away from their new born for the first few weeks, months years, even if they're working in rice paddies or crack whores...

"No, please stay, if the baby cries, 20 percent off."

There was a culling on the site of her birth.

The town was destroyed.

I thought it was because the purifiers were trying to make a point to god.

"NO!

No!

Bad god!

Bad!

BAAAA-AAD!"

But taking out the town to eliminate an unknown father actually makes sense.

i mean herod kept his throne after doing the same thing.

Greys and Summers on the loose...

Hyperstorm

X-Man

Cable

Corsair

Vulcan

Havok...

You know how Mary and Joseph had more kids, don't you think it's more than possible that if John and Elaine, if John didn't outright cheat on the miussus or have a second family, that being a professor himself in the 70s that they didn't go to a LOT of key parties that John could have fathered other children, or John might not be jeans father?

The 70s.

Fuck,yeah.

6. Admiral_Young

Doesn't Jean have a sister named Sarah or something who had kids? For some reason I recall Jean having a niece and nephew.

Preview for issue three...things finally start to heat up and Logan's loyalty is questioned by Captain America, and Steve finally addresses the point i've been making all along, except he directs it at Logan. It should be "No One is Listening!!" This is usually what happens during superhero conflicts though. No one listens to each other...so what is the inevitable? FIGHT!!!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=12195

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Is everyone under the influence of Landru? I mean, jeez, what the heck was Captain America's thought process there? That was as stupid a maneuver as Cyclops' blast at the end of AVX #1. That's just dumb. *facepalm*

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

You have never read Civil War have you?

Her entire family aside from her mom was murdered by Shiar Death Commandos. The same ones that also helped murder Lilandra. Which boggles the mind that Gladiator even would use them in WatM.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Civil War started 6 years ago.

I have a 5 year old nephew.

10. Hound of UIster

Talk about missing the point.

11. Turtletrekker

As I said earlier in the thread, this whole event has been built upon out of character behavior and contrived circumstances. The characters are just placeholders to move the story forward and behave as such. It reminds me of Star Trek: Voyager. This example is particularly egregious as it was written by Cap's regular writer, Ed Brubaker.

12. Allyn Gibson

No, I haven't. I'm very much a Marvel virgin.

13. Hound of UIster

That explains a lot.

Well usually in events where Bendis or Marvel editorial has a hand, they have the characters acting out of character usually more aggressive and idiotic than usual to justify the ensuring conflict such Cap vs IM in Civil War or Avengers vs X-Men.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What's with the colors of Mar-Vell's uniform? It's the second uniform colored like the first.

15. Admiral_Young

^ Maybe because of Carol taking his colours pretty soon as shown in my avatar?

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Could be, but it looks weird/wrong.

17. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

For anyone who needs it (like me, if I start picking up these issues as I'm considering), Newsarama published a preparation article last month that claims to be able to bring people up to speed on what they need to know for the event.

18. Allyn Gibson

I've been quite upfront with my lack of Marvel knowledge. :)

I don't regularly buy any Marvel titles these days. I read Simonson's Thor, I read Jurgens' Thor, I read JMS's Thor and Gillan's Thor. I tried Fraction's Thor and gave up on it with Mighty Thor #2 because earthworms have more narrative momentum than Matt Fraction's writing on Thor.

In other words, I've read a lot of Thor. :)

I read "Spider-Island" (and just "Spider-Island"). I read "One More Day." I read the Obama Inauguration issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

The last Avengers comic I read was JLA/Avengers #4. The last X-Men comic I read was a couple of months before "Age of Apocalypse."

Yes, it's probably insane to jump into Marvel's ultimate event like this, but I'm giving it the old college try anyway! :)

I'm not buying any of the tie-in issues in the regular titles, just the main AVX title and AVX Vs.

19. Admiral_Young

Marvel has stated it's not necessary for people to buy the tie-in issues, but then, both companies normally state that about their crossovers. I've been getting the tie-in issues because they're books that I normally read anyway. The fight book is pointless.

20. Turtletrekker

Allyn, if you are a fan of Thor, and enjoyed Kieron Gillen's run, then I can't recommend Gillen's Journey into Mystery highly enough. I wouldn't have bothered with a book focusing on pre-Siege Loki, but the adventures of the reborn Loki are extremely fun and enjoyable. It's not a super-hero book. It reads more like fantasy with a Loki, now without magical powers, who must depend upon his mastery of mischief to accomplish his goals. He has no memory of his past incarnation and is trying to be good, but all of Asgard remembers old Loki and are waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It was nominated for Best New Series of 2011 at CBR, as voted by the readers. It didn't stand a chance as not enough people read it (Batman won), but the nomination was well-deserved.