The Case Against Kirk

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by YARN, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

You have really hit the nail on the head. It bothers me that Kirk became known merely as the arrogant, rule-breaking, won't accept the no-win-scenario womanizer. I don't care if that's what people like about him, but it's not an accurate characterization of the man written and acted in the original series. Kirk was a no-nonsense guy who always cut to the point. He wasn't arrogant nor smug nor foolish. He was confident because he was doing what was his purpose to do. Kirk was not the exception to every rule, he had to control himself and be a model of personal discipline to his crew. He loved his ship and being Captain. He once said he had trained his whole life for the kind of split second decisions and crisis that a starship commander faced. He was responsible for hundreds of lives and the seriousness of that responsibility weighed on him. He had a sense of humor, he enjoyed the company and counsel of his officers, and he happened to establish frequent romantic relationships on his travels.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The "all orion women look ther same" deleted scene? Yeah, that certainly painted Kirk in a good light.

:)

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh God. It's pretty clear why that whole plot thread was excised.

Not that it wasn't funny, but they'd already made Kirk a douchebag--I suppose someone decided it wasn't necessary to make him a misogynist, racist douchebag.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The pure fact that the scenes were written and filmed, showed how little they actually understood the character of James T. Kirk.

5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not quite. We do know that Kirk is from Iowa ("The Voyage Home") and sometime in his teens he was on Tarsus-4 and lucky to have not been selected for the mass execution ordered by Governor Kodos. That story is brought up in "The Conscience of the King". In "The Apple", Kirk tells us that one of his crewman's father (Mallory) helped him get into the academy. "Operation: Annihilate" tells us he has a brother named Sam.

I don't recall anything mentioned about his dad or mom though.

NuKirk's upbringing differs in a couple of spots. He's born in space and Pike helps him into the academy. Because of the time gap between the corvette ride and the bar fight, Tarsus-4 still might have happened. Also, since we don't know anything about TOS Kirk's parents, his dad could have also died early on as well but we'll never know, IMO.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Well, we know from the new movie that Kirk Prime's dad was the reason he joined Starfleet, and that he lived to see Jim become captain of the Enterprise.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm assuming that Kirk was nowhere near Tarsus-4 in this timeline. That would be a major, traumatic, turning point in his life. I can't imagine they would leave it out of his origin story--or that it simply never came up when he was talking to Pike or McCoy. We can probably forget about the cloud monster in "Obsession," too.

The old Kirk's past was assembled in bits and pieces, according to the needs of that week's episode. There was never any overall plan or story arc involved. This time around, Kirk seems to be more of a Prince Hal type: the seemingly callow, wastrel son who surprises everyone by becoming a leader of men.

Hey, it worked for Shakespeare . . . .

8. blssdwlf

I dunno. In Spock Prime's universe, Kirk Prime supposedly talked about his dad often. TOS Kirk speak of his dad? Not a word, AFAIK.

ST:XI -
    KIRK: Wait. Where you came from, did I know my father?
    SPOCK PRIME: Yes. You often spoke of him as being your inspiration for joining Starfleet. He proudly lived to see you become Captain of the Enterprise.

@Greg Cox - yeah. I think Tarsus-4 was very unlikely. The "Obsession" incident on the Farragut technically hasn't happened for nuKirk as that was post-academy for TOS-Kirk. NuKirk could still run into the creature though on the Enterprise. NuKirk is much more closer to Luke Skywalker's story from "A New Hope". :)

9. F. King Daniel

TOS Kirk also had a son who we never heard about during the series. In TNG, the Federation was supposedly at war with the Cardassians during the first few seasons but it was just "never mentioned" until later on, in retrospect. Absence of evidence is not evidence.

Besides, Kirk's mentioned his dad plenty of times in Trek novels dating back to the 70's and 80's.

10. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Kirk's encounter with the cloud creature happened in 2257 in the prime universe. Unless he was near Tycho VI it's unlikely NuKirk encountered it. Or he did encounter it while he was at the academy and destroyed it in his first encounter with it.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Starfleet has an imperial attitude. They assume they have the right to "explore" everywhere (which from another perspective is called "trespassing") and their underlying agenda for their so-called peaceful exploration is to assimilate new worlds into the Federation, to expand their power and reach. It's unfair to single out Kirk for something that is a characteristic of the organization he works for. At least he wasn't a hypocrite about it like Picard.

Kirk is a cowboy by temperament and a womanizer by virtue of being a good-looking guy who finds it easy to get laid (as long as Spock wasn't around distracting all the ladies). :D

12. blssdwlf

"The Wrath of Khan" implied Kirk might not have known about David until sometime during the movie.

KIRK: I did what you wanted. ...I stayed away. ...Why didn't you tell me?
    CAROL: How can you ask me that? Were we together? Were we going to be? You had your world and I had mine. And I wanted him in mine, not chasing through the universe with his father. ... Actually, he's a lot like you. In many ways.

As to TNG, and the novels - that's not even the same ;-)

13. Greg Cox

Of course, nowadays if Kirk ran into a cloud monster, people would just think Abrams was doing LOST again . . . :)

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

We know that of nuKirk, not of TOS Kirk.

15. Greg Cox

No. Spock Prime was speaking of the old timeline when he told nuKirk that. He was telling the new Kirk about the original Kirk and his father.

16. blssdwlf

About Spock Prime's Kirk, yes. Original Kirk? Depends on which one :)

• The one where all the Klingons don't have forehead ridges (TOS) or
    • the Klingons that do have forehead ridges (Movies) or
    • DS9 Kirk where they mix both the Klingons together or
    • the one where Kirk dies on the Enterprise-B ("Generations") or
    • the one where Kirk was still alive when Scotty locks himself in a transporter loop on the Jenolan ("Relics") ?
    I wonder though that in Spock Prime's universe that Kirk Prime took command of the Enterprise right out of the academy (unlike TOS Kirk). When Spock Prime first runs into nuKirk he thinks Kirk should already be in command despite being more than a decade younger than when TOS-Kirk first took command.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I am NOT having this discussion again. :rolleyes:

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It's possible that the Farragut still encountered the cloud creature, just with a different young officer in Kirk's billet.

Wiliam Shatner looked pretty much the same at twenty-five as he did at thirty-five, both Kirk and nuKirk should have possessed the same appearance at age twenty-five. Now unless Nero made a point of telling him, it is possible that Spock didn't know exactly what year he was in, he was captured (it seems) immediately after emerging from the lightning storm. Not much time to figure the year from the position of the stars.

19. F. King Daniel

Spock Prime didn't know the current date until he'd started his mind meld with Kirk.

Also, we don't know when Kirk Prime became a captain. All we know is that he was the Enterprise captain age 34, and briefly had the middle initial "R":p. The rest is fan speculation.

20. blssdwlf

Spock Prime did know that Nero waited 25 years for him to come out of the black hole. He might not know the date, but you'd think that nuKirk saying Pike was taken prisoner would've flagged the time being "different" :p

You are correct that we don't know when Kirk Prime became a captain but we do know when TOS Kirk did not become captain. Eleven years prior in "Obsession" as a Lieutenant his first commander was Captain Garrovick.

Also, his middle initial is "R" according to his frenemy Mitchell. That's the same guy who almost derailed Kirk's career with a blond lab technician and consumed with power. A bad guy that calls the hero a dirty name doesn't make him correct (most of the time :D)