AFT NACELLE (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by draderman, May 28, 2013.

1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    No, it's not. It's only silly if you cling to the "secondary hull" thing. I'm perfectly comfortable with the explanation that "aft nacelle" is the secondary hull. I know it doesn't mesh with previous Trek, but in the worst case scenario, it was a simple mistake.

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

How can anyone confuse a hull with a nacelle? I don't buy it. By this logic, the Enterprise is nothing but nacelles.

3. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ummmm......yeah......

Historically speaking and back in the old days (you know the 60's and 70's) the star ship nomenclature always referred to the main sections of the Enterprise as being Primary and Secondary Hull.
    However that being said it would seem that JJ's writing engineers have changed ships nomenclature to fit within their changed universe.
    I guess.....

4. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Also, from someone (me) that has worked construction on Navy vessels for 22 years you would be surprised as to where they put things.

5. Belz...

Yeah, except that primary hull thingy we keep mentioning. :rolleyes:

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So in your scenario...the life support is located out in space, trailing behind the Enterprise?

The "secondary hull is a nacelle" thing doesn't even fix the goofed line, so why bother?

7. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

Poe's Law is strong on the TrekBBS.

8. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  9. Belz...

Q

Belz...'s First Law of Non Sequiturs: when a post begins with "so" you can bet that what follows bears no resemblance to the post being replied to.

Yeah, that's right. I meant that the life support is in space. :rolleyes: I was talking about the engineering section. Did you even read what I wrote ?

Why bother ? Why bother even talking about it since it's such an unimportant line ? If people are going to nitpick it, then I'm going to try to make it fit. Yes, it's probably a slip-up, but since the engineering section could be interpreted as a nacelle anyway, I don't see the problem.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Re: Q

[Edited] I did read what you wrote, and I apologize for wording my initial reply in a sarcastic tone.

You posited that the engineering hull can be referred to as a nacelle. The line in ST12 is "behind the aft nacelle" My point was that if the engineering/secondary hull were the nacelle in question, then behind it would be in space.

If I've misunderstood your point, then I will offer a second apology.

11. Belz...

Re: Q

Ah. Sorry, then.

Well there's no completely satisfactory way to explain that line, anyway. We're just doing what fans do best, after all.

12. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The whole point is that Khan is supposed to be a super-genius, Wily Coyote-style. If he's so smart, why would he say something as stupid as "behind the aft nacelle"? Why doesn't Spock react to his blunder? And, for that matter, if he knew where the life support system was, why didn't he destroy it with his opening salvo?

Answer: Because the film makers don't care about any of that.

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Referred to as such in episode dialogue, or in material not presented on-screen?

14. Belz...

In-universe possible answer: Khan doesn't care about Federation terminology. ;)

15. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

What opening salvo? Khan fired on the Enterprise only after he got his people back.

He clearly wanted to avoid shooting at her for fear of putting his crew at risk when targeting the life support system.

16. draderman

draderman Lieutenant Red Shirt

[​IMG]

I took this pic from "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise". I don't care if you disagree with me, but surely you're not suggesting we ignore the terminology of the Miracle Worker ?!?

(also: note what they call the "pylon" between the two hulls)

17. draderman

I don't know why; because im bored i guess...

[​IMG]

18. Belz...

I'll assume you're joking, here. ;)

Beautiful. I'll call Paramount.

19. draderman

Assumption correct.

After spending 10 minutes utilizing my web browsers find function on Chrissie's transcript site (http://www.chakoteya.net/), I can confirm that the term "Secondary Hull" is not spoken on-screen in any of the original, animated or first 6 TOS movies :(

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Yeah, that's the same result I was coming up with. "Secondary hull" appears in dialogue once in TNG, but doesn't seem to have become a regular part of the jargon until Voyager, where it turns up quite a few times. I think that portion of the ship was mostly referred to as the "Engineering section" in TOS (also in several TNG eps.)

Speaking of Chrissie's/Chakoteya's site for a moment: has anyone had trouble accessing that site lately - say, over the last three months or so? Other than the odd temporary downtime, I've been using the site for years without issue, but since February or early March, my browser has crashed immediately every time I click on a link or bookmark to go there. Kinda frustrating, as it's been a very useful resource.