the Wolverine trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by captcalhoun, Dec 12, 2008.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know either, but it is a trailer. Got to get the people to go see it I guess.

2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

No, I'm saying I find it hard to believe that pulling a trailer from the Internet affects the box office very much.

The type of person who would pay the price of a full movie just to see a trailer is probably going to do so anyway, regardless of whether it's on the Internet. As you said, to "see it on the big screen."

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh. That I agree with.

Absolutely.

4. porthos_the_powerful

porthos_the_powerful Captain Captain

You're operating under the false assumption that movie executives are rational people.;)

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I'm not sure if this is kosher or not, but since one link to the bootleg trailer was already posted in the thread without a problem:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/xmen-origins-wolverine/bootleg-trailer

There were no SF&F mods online at the time to ask, but if you guys want to remove the link go ahead.

It looks great. Next May is going to be an awesome month for movies.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The trailer was awesome...and I think I read an article last week or several weeks ago where Hugh was talking about wanting to go to Japan to be Patch in a sequel. Gambit did seem to be in it quite a bit, he must have a really big part in the movie and did everyone catch little Ororo? Deadpool better indeed have his full costume on...

7. Looks pretty decent. Liev was a good choice for Sabretooth.

8. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

In my local newspaper, the ad for The Day The Earth Stood Still had a little splash ad addition that took up the bottom corner saying; "The only place you can catch the world premiere of the trailer for X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE!"

So yeah, they think it helps.

I used to go see movies I wasn't completely interested in to catch trailers in the days before the internet, but nowadays, I can wait until Sunday or Monday to see it on the nets.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

looks good, but i'll definitely watch it again on the official site so i can hear it properly...

looked Emma Frost was in it...

10. ria 75

ria 75 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My garden, on the other side of the frog pond
    I just watched it and I wish I hadn't. It feels rather spoiler-y.
    Fortunately, the release is months away. I may forget. I don't like to know too much about a movie beforehand, beyond what makes me want to see it. In Wolverine's case, knowing the character and its interpreter is enough incentive for me.

Thanks for sharing the link, though. ;)

About Liev Schreiber: too familiar face. Can't imagine him as a furry mutant. Or perhaps with more fur, as was suggested, so he'd look less like himself. The role suits him, but still.

If I understand it right, that trailer hype (with any trailer from an eagerly expected movie) comes from the spoilery aspects. Feel free to educate me otherwise.
    But in my book, a trailer's job is to make you want to see the movie by showing you the least possible from it and exciting your curiosity.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw "Quantum Of Solace" on opening day in order to see the "Star Trek" trailer.

I would have seen the movie within three or four days, anyway, and I doubt that any film increases its overall box office by featuring or advertising a trailer - but it may pump up its opening day or opening weekend count a little, which means something to them.

12. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Trailer is going to be officially up on line tomorrow. Seeing it on the big screen before 'The Day The Earth Stood' Still (2008) was so awesome, same for Terminator 4 trailer

13. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

They filmed much of Wolverine here in Dunedin. I got to meet Liev when he came into our building to record a voice over. People kept freaking out cos Hugh was training in the gym next door to us.

The gym got lots of new customers that month!

Trailer looks good. A few places in New Zealand that I recognise in there.

14. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Wow, Wolverine was filmed in Canada, New Zeeland and Australia?

15. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Needs more Deadpool (hopefully the glimpse we got was pre-scarring.) Needs a lot more Deadpool. In fact, just screw this Wolverine crap and give me a Deadpool movie.

16. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Already a spin off movie with the character is being developed

17. Hennessy Badger

Hennessy Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. Locutus of Bored

^^^ No problem. :)

Definitely. He was always one of my favorites for the role of Wolverine before we knew Jackman had it, so I guess him playing Sabretooth is the next best thing.

Did you guys see the Comic-Con trailer? It has a lot of the same footage as this trailer, but there's a fair amount of new footage as well.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1kgHjmmHeOI&NR=1

Love the firing squad scene at the beginning. "It tickled."

No, you're right, I just think in this case they figure that a fairly large chunk of their audience is going to know at least the broad strokes of Wolverine's origin story, so they want to touch on that to let people know that, yes, we will be showing you the things you would expect and more.

19. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know which trailer I like more. The Comic-Con one or the new one.

20. Locutus of Bored

I'm kind of partial to the Comic-Con trailer because of the firing squad scene and the uncensored "I'm gonna cut your goddamn head off, see if that works" line when Sabretooth asks if he even knows how to kill him.