Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It was definitely better than the nature episode, I truly hated that one. The Scooby and Joe ones were alright. Didn't care for the Smurfs one. I remember liking the first one with the 80s arcade graphics and anime style.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's interesting that everyone sees the middle segment as a Smurfs riff when it really drew more on Strawberry Shortcake, a show that was based on a toy line for young girls. But then, that was apparently a series of annual specials rather than a full series, so maybe that's why it's less well remembered. Or maybe it's just that a lot of male viewers never saw the show. I was aware of the franchise from the commercials, but I can't say I ever watched it.

I suppose there were a few Smurf-based elements to it, like everyone being the same color. The Professor did have a Gargamel-like quality, though I think he was based on the Strawberry Shortcake villain, who lived in a large hilltop residence made of metal cookware, according to Wikipedia; the rendering here of the Planet Express building seemed to fit that description somewhat.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

you guys are crazy. last nights ep was great. i was laughing the entire time, and its been awhile since i thoroughly enjoyed an episode that much.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I wasn't to thrilled with this one either. The only one of the shows I watched was Scooby-Doo, so I that one was OK. But I've never seen either of the other two, so they really didn't do anything for me. I did find the blatant product placement in the Strawberry Shortcake one, pretty funny, but that was about it.
    I ended falling asleep about 5 or 10 minutes into the reairing of last week's, so I still haven't gotten to see that one. Hopefully I'll get to watch it when it pops up on Netflix.

5. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The show was bad, and you should feel bad!

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I never saw either show; I was going by the fact that everything was the same color and they were using made-up words derived from purple.

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I thought that was the best one of this season so far.

8. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I'm with you guys, haven't laugehd that much during any other episode this season!

9. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Scooby Doo was Ok, Strawberry Smurfcake kinda sucked, and I laughed my ass off at Nixon censoring GI Joe.

10. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the Scooby-Doo riff.

Having the Harlem Globetrotters appear was perfect, considering they've been on both Futurama and Scooby-Doo.

I always enjoy George Takei whenever he makes a guest appearance somewhere.

I love how during the chase scene they appeared to start that classic Scooby-Doo bit where they all randomly go in and out of the multiple doors in the hallway, only to have them realistically go through just one door, and that's it!

“I would never have gotten away with it regardless of you meddling kids.”

Me too. The bits that got the biggest laughs out of me were the reversing of the school blowing up with “*patriotic peacekeepers who rebuild schools with their bullet-sucking vacuum tanks*”, and "That'll blow them straight to h-*church*!” Oh, and "*I landed the plane safely next to this naturally occurring fireball!*" :lol:

ETA: Here's the Futurama Comic-Con panel, where the cast does a table read of the entire first act of the series finale. Spoilers of course.

11. Christopher

I saw what they were going for there, but it didn't make me laugh. Just staring at a motionless scene for many seconds isn't much of a punch line, not without some further payoff.

Also, given that the plot involved a cloning machine, there was a perfect setup for a gag where we see the usual running-through-many-doors gag and then it turns out that it was a bunch of different copies of the characters running through different doors and finally running into one another. That seemed like a missed opportunity.

12. Christopher

"Calculon 2.0" was awesome. It more than makes up for the disaster that was last week's show, and has supplanted "The Inhuman Torch" as the funniest, most moving episode of the season. The Professor's "science" to resurrect Calculon was hilarious. The story of Calculon's comeback was solidly funny and a good character story, and I loved the arcs Calculon and Leela went through. The climax was great, and though the outcome for Calculon was a bit disappointing, the Robot Devil's final punchline was magnificent.

Most of all, in the parts where Calculon lost his bluster and became truly humble, it gave Maurice LaMarche a chance to show what a really superb actor he can be. That was really moving.

My one disappointment was that the invasion by Morbo's people was just a throwaway gag at the start. I've been wishing for years that they'd do an episode about Morbo, something that required him to put his money where his mouth is -- either reveal that his bluster about destroying us all is a cover for his insecurities or something, or have the invasion actually happen and have everyone surprised that his threats were genuine all along. So to see it treated as an afterthought was disappointing.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Forgot again. Lucky for me they always repeat the episode the following week. :rommie:

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Futurama may be ending, but Planet Express and her crew will be seen again afterward... on The Simpsons.

15. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Ahhhh.. Now that was damned funny. Calculon's resurrection was great. I thought thay would just flip his on/off switch to on... lol, love Profs 666 ... very scientific! ;)

16. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved that bit with his crappy HAL9000 play. :lol:

17. Christopher

Which was a parody of Hal Holbrook's famous one-man show about Mark Twain. Layers!

18. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

DAISY!!! MY MIND IS GOING!!!

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That was fantastic! From Robot Devil's torture, Calculon's genuine acting and the HAL 9000 play to the science/magic and Hollywood gags and the heartfelt story that killed Calculon all over again and actually kept him dead, this was not only the best episode of the season, but I'd argue it's the best episode since "The Late Philip J. Fry."

I agree it's a little disappointing to see that opportunity missed out on, but I never expected to see it be more than a throwaway gag.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was the best episode in a very long time. I completely forgot that they had killed Calculon.