AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

@Trekker...Ang Lee's attempt at "Hulk" was to do an art house type comic book film, while it accomplished this, I disagree that it was too "full of it's self". It really focused on a lot of the psychological issues that the characters had among themselves (and if you know anything about the Hulk and his supporting cast, this is a theme that continually gets explored). I think the main problem fans have with it...is that for the first attempt at a Hulk film we all had expectations and certain things we were looking for and wanted to see (for instance an action based film with Hulk smashing a lot of stuff) and people were turned off by the serious introspective nature of the film. I have to admit that I didn't like it at first, but after watching it a couple more times since that first viewing, I've come to enjoy it. Louis Leterrier's was far more balanced in it's approach to the character and the things fans wanted to see, despite still containing a lot of flaws.

2. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

About Ang Lee's Hulk... I always go back to reading the Agony Booth's recap of it, as I find it enjoyable and points out a lot of issues I have with the movie, and its internal logic (or lack of it).

3. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the Ang Lee film because of its focus on characters (the father-son thing always works for me). I also thought he nicely grasped the essence of the Hulk as a character in his own right: he desires to be free and left alone. The expression on his face when he's leaping before the army starts attacking him captures this nicely.

The action scenes had a kinetic quality which I think is pretty rare in cinema and though more of them would have been nice what is there is sufficiently good to make up for the scarcity. I was surprised to see Ang Lee's name attached to something so Hollywood and I was surprised at how well it turned out.

4. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

The only real problems I had with the Ang Lee Hulk movie were that I didn't find the father a terribly effective or interesting character... though I do not fault Nick Nolte for this... and I find the climactic battle scene almost impossible to watch because of how darkly lit it is. In fact, in the theater, I had to do a lot of guesswork as to what was actually going on. I find that while I ultimately favor the story presented in 2008's The Incredible Hulk, I love the "art house" method of direction by Ang Lee and I prefer Jennifer Connelly as Betty Ross.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So over the last few days I've been watching each of the MCU movies in my preferred viewing order (IM1>IM2>TIH>Thor>Cap). I just watched Thor last night, and while doing so I found out that I'm a total moron. I got the Blu-ray back in October, for my birthday, and it also came with a DVD copy. Well, they put the DVD copy on the side of the case that you see right away when you open it up, and hid the Blu-way behind some advertisements on the other side, which I never took out. I've watched the movie three times since I got it in October (including last night), and I only just realized last night that all this time I've been watching the DVD version, not the Blu-ray. I'd been wondering why the picture looked so off! :lol: :ouch:

7. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

So I was watching TV with my daughter (age 11), and a spot for the Avengers comes up. She knows of the big hero characters (and she saw "Thor"), but her interest piques up drastically when she see the 'Black Widow':

Daughter: Oooh, there's a girl hero in the Avengers?

Me: Yep

Daughter: So.. What is her special power?

Me: ... eh... She can spy?

Daughter: [confused look on her face]

She's very much into strong girl characters, and I think she was hoping for something more equivalent of the big male characters.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Show her Natasha kicking ass in IM2 and then say Widow doesn't need super-powers to be as good as the boys.

9. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Natasha Romanova can make any of her fellow Avengers look like complete idiots in about 0.2 seconds if she bothers to put any effort into it.

Plus: She looks pretty good for being 84.

10. Skywalker

Maybe they'll introduce Carol Danvers and turn her into Ms. Marvel sometime during "Phase Two" of the MCU, or whatever they're calling it. A female hero who can go toe-to-toe with the heavy hitters would be cool.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I think that recap does a very good job of pointing out the many, many, flaws in the movie. (The 0 body count being chief among them.) The actions scene(s) near the end were good but it was preceded by a lot of bullshit.

12. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

That means that you haven't watched the Coulson short in the Thor bluray? Go watch that and the one in the Cap bluray! ;)

13. Skywalker

Yeah, I never saw The Consultant until last night, when I finally realized my error. :alienblush:

It was pretty cool, but I liked A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer on the Cap Blu-ray a lot more. The Consultant felt more like a retcon to explain a change in direction after IM1 and TIH were released.

14. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

Agreed, I liked more "A Funny Thing" also.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Natasha not being able to handle her own with the boys was brought up again? Didn't we already cover this a few weeks ago? Also it appears that 'Tasha will be apart of the "Iron Man 3" cast according to this:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/25/another-of-the-avengers-is-set-for-iron-man-3-appearance/

Not surprised by this since she was introduced in "Iron Man 2" of course. Looks like she'll be an integral part of the film if this is true.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Looks like The Avengers soundtrack will have the first new track from Soundgarden in a decade and a half.

Personally, I love the Nine Inch Nails song used in the trailers myself.

17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Granted, it's only a snippet, but I like. I'm a big Soundgarden fan.

18. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

So, Soundgarden in the soundtrack for The Avengers, and Black Widow coming back for Iron Man 3?

SOLD! :cool:

19. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I cannot wait...

...for the first new Soundgarden track in 15 years. Yet another superhero movie, I can take or leave.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I see what you did there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.