Dollhouse: "Ghost" 2/13 - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Feb 13, 2009.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Above average

27 vote(s)
    25.2%
  3. Average

45 vote(s)
    42.1%
  4. Below average

25 vote(s)
    23.4%
  5. Poor

7 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Echo (Eliza Dushku) is one of the "Actives" in the elite and illegal Dollhouse. Through different personality downloads, she plays the role of a lovestruck girl on a romantic weekend, and then a ruthlessly efficient kidnapping negotiator. Meanwhile, FBI Agent Paul Ballard (Tahmoh Penikett) is struggling with his assignment to uncover information on the Dollhouse. The chase has destroyed his marriage and is wrecking his career, and it doesn't seem that he'll stop until he uncovers the truth.

[​IMG]

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

So will Faith be appearing in this? :)

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Alot is riding on this show's success. Some have little faith it will survive.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a snoozefest.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I have to agree so far. Nice that they mentioned EJO though.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

And a rough looking Fred.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's convoluted and boring, but I got to see Eliza Dushku in a towel.

8. FALCONX0N

FALCONX0N Captain Captain

I'm not too impressed so far. And a little preturbed about the premise to be honest. Especially factoring in that it was, according to rumor, borne out of a conversation that Eliza Dushku had with Joss Whedon (supposedly, they're very close, in a kind of mentor-way).

It's neat enough that I'll watch it next week, and I can tell it's got style. Acting is spotty, but hey, it's a pilot, they're never perfect acting wise. Eliza is good, I say, considering her character is 'I do not have a character.' Sleepy-time Echo is just annoying, though.

I do honestly want to see what Helo there gets up to, but the premise is just...too weird for me. Well, no...I can buy the premise, and it is intreaguing, I'm just not sure I can stomach it for the entire series run as the protagonists. My gut says that we're following the bad guys...and my gut says that Whedon knows this and will pull the rug out from under us mid-season. Coming from Whedon, it just seems kind of antithesisical (is that a word?) to some of his previous work which prided itself on the feminism and female empowerment--here, the main lead is essentially, a helpless, brainwashed slave. Like I said, my gut says it'll change and the real story is about Echo bringing DOWN this organization--if Fox lets the show get that far. Which they wont. Otherwise, I fear if I'm wrong, this is going to be a case of misaimed fandom--like all those fans which honestly see Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion as an ideal girlfriend. Those fans, I fear most of all. And if that's the case, that's actually the message that Whedon's trying to get across, then I can just picture the pitch for this show in my head:

Whedon: "Alright, yes, here's my new idea: Girls. Right? Hot girls."

Producer: "You've got my interest now, Mister Whedon, but, you've done that. Buffy. 7 years, changed television forever. Remember?"

"Right. Okay. Hot girls that bend to your every whim. They're programable, see? They can be lovers, or assassins, and--"

"Wasn't that an anime?"

"So was Firefly, nobody called me on that."

"Point. Continue. *Steeples fingers.*"

"Okay. So like I said, programmable. They bend to your every whim--if you're rich enough. That's the hook! These girls have no personality--except the one that you gave her! So it's, um, existential! And it's starring my friend Eliza..."

"Alright Whedon, enough. You want to do Eliza Dushku. That's fine, that's normal. The programable stuff, um....kinda weird. Go get some help, man. You need some therapy!"

"Right, exactly! And this is Hollywood, sooooo..."

"Good point! Here's several million dollars and a prime time slot!"

But I'll give it a few more eps before I make any real judgement on Dollhouse, aside from my snarky comments...

9. ancientone51

ancientone51 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was not impressed with it.

I'm sorry, Dushku really doesn't do much in this but be obvious and telegraph her 'brilliant and important acting" in this. She doesn't get lost in the role, any of them. She seems to think it is a chance to play/be so many parts and she isn't really any of them.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm in the wrong time zone to be watching live, plus I'm not at home, but is it touched upon that if you could tell someone that looks like Eliza Dushku to do whatever you want her to do, would naughty intent ensue? Sort of like with Anne Hathaway in Ella Enchanted.

11. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I found it intriguing enough. Not much of a "hook" anywhere, but better than most procedurals which might tell similar stories.

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

One of the clients certainly approached her that way, but the professionals at the Dollhouse itself didn't seem too interested.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I have a feeling this show will do well on DVD.......after it's cancelled

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'm going to give it another shot, but I'm not anticipating much success for it.

15. FALCONX0N

FALCONX0N Captain Captain

Not really a spoiler, but if you're talking about what I THINK you're talking about--wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more--then that's a question that is answered right in the pre-credit sequence.

In short, following the credits, a little voice in the center of my mind jumped on a table and shouted:

"JOSS WHEDON HAS FINALLY MADE A SHOW ABOUT THE INCREDIBLE LIVES OF BRAINWASHED CYBER-PROSTITUTES!"

...that voice was quickly silenced.

16. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Here's what I posted at Whedonesque:

I just get the feeling watching this, that past Whedon comments about loving his characters and getting into their heads, just was barely here at all; it's like he just didn't care about the vast majority of the main characters.

17. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I had high hopes going in, but tonight's episode was really average. And surprisingly humorless for a Joss Whedon series. I'll tune in next week, of course, but as for tonight.... Meh.

18. species5618

species5618 Commodore Commodore

This sums it up right here. Apart from Dushku and Amy Acker's presence, it didn't 'feel' like a Joss Whedon show to me in the least, if that makes any sense.

I'll give it a few more episodes, but I'm not exactly fired up about this series.

Average.

Also, did the production designer steal the cast off sets from Wolfram and Hart's season 5 offices for the Dollhouse facility? Other than being slightly more organic looking, it looks fairly similar.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

And a white dress that showed off her sexiness as she danced the night away. Oh man! Those legs and that long flowing hair... I think this is as good as I've ever seen her.

Beyond that, I found the concept pretty intriguing. A young woman who looks to have had some ambition in life finds herself "hooking" for this "Dollhouse". How did she end up there? And what's up with this Dollhouse organization itself with its shady madam (it's nice to see Olivia Williams again) and its sometimes good/often questionable activities? Throw in Helo the FBI guy as the "antagonist" who's on to them, and you have a good thing going here.

It looks like the consensus here is that this is a bad show. I don't share that view, but I won't argue with it either. I'll keep watching as long as I'm interested and mildly entertained.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I pretty much have to echo (sorry, pun) the thoughts here so far. It's missing that spark that made me a fan of Whedon's previous shows. There's really nobody to care about yet. Buffy, Angel, Mal, etc. these characters hooked you right from the start and made you care about what happened to them. I really don't feel that way so far. In fact, I can't even remember any character other than Echo's name. Not so in the other shows. I has Buffy, Xander, Willow, Giles down pat in one episode. There's nothing to excite, and I honestly can't see this premise holding an entire series. I'll still tune in next week in hopes that Whedon will give me some reason to stay, but right now I wouldn't shed any tears if it got cancelled very early.