Welcome new Voyager fans!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Caprica_Six, Apr 16, 2005.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup it sure does :)

2. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hello Everyone,
    To start the summer off right, I'm currently watching STAR TREK VOYAGER, on DVD starting with Season 1 ~ Season 7. To me it's a great way to see great episodes, while enjoying the summer as well.:)

3. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Awesome! I'm doing a DS9 rewatch at the moment.

But I've been watching VOY sequentially too because I review and guest on The Delta Quadrant podcast. I want to do a full proper VOY rewatch once I am done my DS9 one. But VOY for me is one of those shows where I just often randomly watch episodes when I feel the urge (and the only Trek show for which I've inadvertently memorized all of the episode titles of haha). :lol:

Enjoy and love yourself some Janeway. :bolian::)

4. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Hello everyone, this is my first visit to the Voyager forum. I grew up on TOS on German TV and in the early 90s I devoured everything Trek on VHS tapes from the UK - which was quite expensvie. Anyway, when I got to Voyager it never hooked me as the previous shows did, and I stopped watching after the first season. Every now and then I thought about starting to watch again but never got around to it, remembering how little I liked it.

But maybe I´d see things differently now, twenty years later. So I thought I´d get some input from you Voyager veterans: What do you like about the show, why should I start watching?

Mario

5. teacake

Voyager is the almost comedy of Trek. It is full of amusements and some truly wonderful interplay between the characters. It is very colourful, less dark (considerably) than DS9, less preachy than TNG and more.. vaudeville, yes that's a very good word, than ENT. It's a perfect complement to the other series.

Every double episode is fantastic, as good as a movie!

Picardo who plays the Doctor just lights up the screen and is used more and more in each season because he is just so good. His character brings out all kinds of character elements in the rest of the crew.

Voyager is FUN! And full of classic Trek goodness, and has it's own share of every kind of episode you might have enjoyed in the other Treks. It is full of the Borg who are always interesting and get even more interesting in VOY because of course in season 4 we get a main Borg character. Who is also my favorite character in all of Trek and yes I started with TOS too.

And finally you must see all of Trek! Be a completionist! Don't miss out!! All Trek is good, all Trek has greatness and all Trek adds to the fabric of the Trek world.

Just do it.

:D

6. Mario de Monti

Somehow I had a feeling you´d be the first to respond ;)

The way you describe it, I really seem to have missed something. Thanks a lot for your thoughts :techman:

7. Captain Kathryn

Yeah you need to get over the Season 1-3 hump. Not saying that I don't adore every season of VOY (because I dooo), but it gets considerably better with time. Not counting awesome early episodes like Future's End though. Most fun Trek "movie" two-parter ever! :)

And yeah I will just re-iterate Picardo is amazing. Even the haters of VOY don't usually hate on him... like, ever. So are Kate Mulgrew, Jeri Ryan, and Tim Russ. And the comedy is fantastic! I grew up on classic TV sitcoms so when I started getting into Trek a while back, Voyager was my introduction and the comedy sucked me in.

8. Mario de Monti

I wasn´t aware there´s so much comedy in Voyager - I like that. But "the Season 1-3 hump" doesn´t sound like a hump, more like a tradition :lol:
    Seriously, do I have to get through three slow seasons (almost half the entire show!) before it really gets good?

9. Captain Kathryn

Haha. I mean I like all 7 seasons, but seasons 4~7 are particularly good for me! :)

10. teacake

Yeah they are not slow, nothing like season 1 TNG. It's just 4-7 get particularly good.

11. Mario de Monti

I´m still a bit hesitant. But I have a feeling you two will nudge me over the edge eventually ;)

12. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I wholeheartedly sympathize with your dislike of Season One. Wanna be Klingons with huge spaceships but thirsting for water, sometimes awful dialogues and the like did prevent this series to have a good and early start.

I don't know what exactly happened behind-the-scenes, but after I got to Season Four the series became much, much better and some of the later stories were on the level of some of the finest TNG episodes, add to this that VOY truly went where no man had gone before (okay, if you're cut off from home that's expected to happen ;)).

And although I utterly despised the Queen Bee concept introduced in ST VIII: FC, the way VOY handled the concept almost made me embrace the idea.

In other words: In the beginning VOY is an ordeal of patience but the rewards that await you later, make it worth going through that ordeal. And you have a good conclusion that's not nearly as disappointing as the finales of DS9 or ENT.

Given the choice which series I'd like to see first get the royal HD treatment, it's not DS9 but VOY I'd like to rewatch and experience on Blu-ray, first.

Bob

13. Captain Kathryn

It's interesting how much Chakotay we have in Seasons 1-3 though. My "normal" Voyager viewing is watching my fave episodes from 4~7 with the occasional awesome early episode like Future's End, Eye of the Needle, etc. But when I actually *rewatch* Seasons 1-3 fully I'm always like... whoa Chakotay actually has a lot of lines in these seasons! Albeit not great ones, but he was definitely featured more.

Robert Comsol, I think the change/shift you mean is probably 1) Jeri Taylor not being as involved and 2) The addition of Jeri Ryan and 3) maybe not too important, but more budget for Special Effects.

14. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Yes, on behalf of the earlier seasons Chakotay had more lines there, one of my friends thought he noticed that the less lines Robert Beltran got, the less he was motivated to show a "moving effort" when the ship got pounded and buckled. ;)

Regarding the improvement I mostly noticed what I thought to be much better story ideas and dialogues.

Frankly, some of the dialogues in the first seasons (I vividly remember one involving the Kazons) made me wonder whether Kate Mulgrew received compensation for being forced to deliver such lines.

Bob

15. teacake

I love everything.

16. Mario de Monti

Thanks a lot for your opinions. It seems like I really missed something so I guess I´ll start with Voyager as soon as the FIFA World Cup is over :)

17. Captain Kathryn

:bolian:

18. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I am a new Voyager fan, haven't even finished the entire series yet (I'm in season 5). It's got great characters, when you watch you feel like you are part of this tight-knit little family that is struggling to survive in tough and sometimes depressing circumstances. For having such a dire situation, the show really is a lot of fun.

I also think it is the most inconsistent Trek series; you'll watch one episode that seems like complete crap, and then the next one is amazing and leaves you pondering and saying "wow." But the good ones are really good, and definitely make up for any crap episodes you encounter.

I love the Doctor!!

19. Captain Kathryn

As you should! :lol: Just kidding~

20. teacake

When people don't love the doctor I put them on my watch list.