Regulations and K/S

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 25, 2012.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Say for a moment that all those 70's/80's fanfic writers were correct - Kirk and Spock DID get down and nasty, profess their undying love for each other and ended up in a relationship.

What would Starfleet do? Crewmembers aren't banned from getting together (The couple in "Balance of Terror", Scotty/Mira, Scotty/Uhura, Paris/Torres, Riker/Troi, Spock/Uhura etc.), but a captain and first officer?

Discuss.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'd assume one would be transferred to a new post.

3. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

riker and troi were allowed to serve together on the titan, and they were married, so i don't think anyone would be transferred. but then that was nearly 100 years later so maybe was different.

as long as they remained professional, and we know they would, i don't think anything would have changed

4. Nerys Myk

Not sure that have the top two members of any organization in a personal relationship is a good idea.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

But (as I understand it) Troi was not the first officer of the Titan. For Kirk to have a affair with Nurse Chapel, would be different to having a affair with Spock. Because Chapel isn't the ship's first officer.

:)

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

"Spock," Jim asked, masking the pain of the news he just received from Starfleet Command. "They say... you should be transerred... to a new post."

"Jim," Spock said, an unaccustomed gentleness in his voice. "I assure you, I'll always prefer your 'post' to any other."

What?

7. Nerys Myk

You have a bright future in slash.

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I that'll be the extent of my venture into that genre. :lol:

9. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For all we know, they did. For all we know, everone did. If so, I could not care less. It's none of my business in the real world of 2012 -- and even the U.S. military now agrees regarding its own personnel -- and certainly none of my business in a fictitious future.

The only issue would be cases of harrassment, i.e. officers making unwelcome overtures to those with lower ranks. But that also is the same in civilian life today, among so-called "straight" people in the workplace. And it's just never a good idea to start an office romance.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not exactly clear what your point is.

Now I'm really not sure what the hell you talking about.

You actually don't know what term "straight people" refers too?

:)

11. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My point is that this is all prurient at best.

12. Nerys Myk

Most companies I've worked for have fraternization policy. I suspect today's military does to. A CO and XO in a romantic relationship would violate that policy.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Starfleet may allow captain's discretion in such a case.

14. Nerys Myk

I don't see why they would.

15. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Not a chance in hell.

16. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Balance of Terror, it is apparently OK to have ones fiancé as immediate superior officer. I don't find that very realistic or likely, but there it is.

Whether it is legal or not, it would open the captain up to criticism and accusations of conflicts of interest, and potentially affect his judgment and decision making. It wouldn't really fit with what was shown of Kirk's character. The way I see it, he can be a consummate professional captain, or he can be in a K/S relationship, but not both.

Justn