AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

There are more people out there who have never heard of Joss Whedon than there are who love or hate him and his work. Most people aren't going to go see The Avengers because of Joss Whedon; they're going to go see it because of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark (for the most part).

2. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

John Mahaffie's the second unit director? Cool! He did a lot of the second/third unit stuff for Lord of the Rings, he's very good.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I very much doubt that "Avengers" will bomb. It will most likely have a monster opening weekend and depending on if it is good or not will dictate the rest of May in my opinion.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I agree, it's got so much going for it out of the Gate, that, even if it sucks horribly and gets trounced with bad press, it'll still be successful due to opening weekend. It'll make it's money before bad word of mouth has a chance to destroy the rest of it's run.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

like I said.. it may have disappointing numbers. it may bomb.

6. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't hold back, tell us more about how much Joss Whedon sucks. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  7. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Sure it may, but it's not bloody likely at all if you look at the numbers Captain America, Thor or the Iron Man movies did.

And the average movie-goer has no effing idea who Joss Whedon is and won't be basing their decision to see it on the fact he directed it.

Do better next time, because that was pretty weak.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If all or even most of the people who saw Captain America, Thor and Iron Man go to see this movie, then it will be a hit. Quite simple.

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Well, let's see. Batmman and Robin failed mainly because of a bad script and bad tone. But it also failed because it was overstuffed. Have you all noticed the larger your "superstar cast" is for a superhero film, the worse it will do. Sure Batmna Begins has a lot of superstars, but almost all of them played background supporting characters and were well aware that the tone of the film was more serious then not. They were there to serve the story. Here we have many of the cast playing wisecracking heroes who don't get along with each other, and clearly not enough time can be spent on any one of them to create a real sense of story or drama. I am sorry it just looks to me like they just took all the crap from the individual films and through them in the drier and set it to tumble and spin. Let's not forget, too that superhero onwi (sp?) is starting to settle in with the populace. This could be good, sure, or it could be another Green Lantern. Many people will wait to see the Tomatometer and realize that critics will think it's crap.

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Brown coats, buddy. They're called brown coats. If you can't even get that fact in your anti-Jos rant right, you're loosing credibility.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Batman and Robin actually made a fair bit of money, so whatever else it was, it wasn't a 'flop.'

Thor and Cap are hardly wisecracking heroes, we don't know how Hawkeye will be portrayed (but they'd hardly cast Jeremy Renner in that sort of role, would they?)

Green Lantern wasn't that well known among the general populace and suffered from being yet another superhero movie last summer. The Avengers is hardly 'yet another' superhero movie and the main characters are all well known.

And since when has critical acclaim made an awful lot of difference to the box office of superhero movies? Spider-man 3 got slated but made shedloads of money; Superman Returns got good reviews but underperformed.

12. Admiral_Young

You think that by this time he'd get tired of ranting...

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hey man I'm just stating my piece. It may do well... but I think the casual moviegoer will look carefully at the Tomato Meter.

I for one, can't wait until Hollywood get's more real ideas for films. Sure this comic book stuff is cool, but it's wearing thin.

14. Mage

You're not stating your piece, you're making claims that you see as fact, which are only opinion. The only 'fact' is, that you have issues with Josh Wedon, and that for you it's now fact that The Avengers will bomb.

You certainly have a point, Hollywood IS out of ideas. But I think people are forgetting sometimes that the general idea of Hollywood is still the same now as it was so many years ago: money!! Sure, there is arthouse (which I love at times). Sure, there have been some fantastic drama's over the years, where acting and plot will take centerseat.
    But don't kid yourself or anyone else, from the very first movies that were made, Hollywood has been about money. From Chaplin and Laurel And Hardy, to gladiatormovies and Charlton Heston, to Stallone and the Governator, and now through the wonderfull medium of comicbook-adaption, most movies made were created to bring in the green. So it was then, so it is now, so it shall be.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

keep in mind that, unless you are George Lucas, most opinions are stated as if they are facts, and it's up to smart people to be able to tell the difference. and "in my opinion the Jedi are evil" is not as effective as "the Jedi are evil,' despite the fact that it is an opinion.

16. Mage

No, when you use the word 'is' you state a fact, not an opinion. If you ment is an opinion, you need to state it as an opinion, otherwise you get mis-communication.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

In my first post a few pages ago, it's clear what my "opinions" and in the foillowing post I only used 'is" in the same way you mean it once:
    I don't think even superhero fans would argue that ennui is starting to set in

18. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I don't think the "casual moviegoer" EVER looks carefully at the Tomato Meter. Otherwise, stuff like the Transformers movies wouldn't make billions of dollars.

19. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed. Movie and genre fans check out site like Rotten Tomato and the like. Casual movie goer will maybe go by their favourite reviewer or by what they hear on television or from friends and family who've seen the film.

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Maybe maybe not. But they will quickly hear if this film clicks or if it's just a mash-up with a disjointed script...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.