So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

I'm currently reading Plan of Attack by Dale Brown

AdmYates and Mel Tenorio like this.
  2. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Took me a few seconds to get the title of the new thread, but I like it. :techman:

Just finished up Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Just amazing.

Started Mainspring by Jay Lake. Not that far into it but I'm not sure it's going to do a lot for me. And also a little way into The Kingdom of Shadows by K.W. Jeter. Can't judge it yet.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:I love the thread title!

I'm currently reading "Double Helix #5: Double or Nothing". Before that, I read "Captain's Table: Once Burned" and loved it. It really warmed me to Calhoun, who was my least favourite NF character.

4. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

Just started the Epilogue of TNG: Q&A and will be moving on to TNG: Before Dishonor later today. I'm closing in on Destiny and can't wait!

- Byron

5. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I was going to say that. :lol:

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

glad everyone liked it. i thought it'd be better than 'part vii' or something.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gonna wrap up Watching the Clock and Paths of Disharmony before the end of the year. I have Christmas Day - New Year's Day off so I ought to get a lot of good solid reading time in.

8. Keturah

Keturah Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm on Stone and Anvil. One of my fave New Frontier books.

9. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I just finished Stephen King's 11/22/63. I picked it up from the library on Tuesday afternoon, began reading it yesterday morning, and that's how I've been spending my free time since then. I don't read a lot of King (horror isn't a genre that attracts me), but this -- utterly captivating. I have a perverse attachment to the 50s/60s (was raised on that music and television from the era), so the sheer amount of immersive detail King threw in would have thrilled me, even if the storytelling wasn't so compelling. There's a subtle shade of horror and anticipation throughout the book, and the ending...

Suffice it to say, I think it tops my list of King books. I wonder if Christopher has read it, given the time-travel angle.

B’Elanna likes this.
  10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not a King fan, and it's not like I go out of my way to seek out time-travel fiction all the time, just when I was in the process of developing and writing Watching the Clock.

11. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ha, excellent thread title! Nicely done! Glad I wasn't the one to start it, I wouldn't have come up with that.

12. MattWallace

MattWallace Lieutenant

Currently reading The Star Wolf series by David Gerrold.

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm about 3/4 of the way through and I'm really enjoying it so far.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Picked up Kim Harrison's The Hollows graphic novel, Blood Work. I'm almost done with Paths of Disharmony (300/371 pages into it) and I'm think about working on it and some of the other GNs I've got piled up. The pile includes the second SW: Knights of the Old and Buffy Season 8 collections, and the SW:Mara Jade and SW:Union collections.

15. MasuPu'a

MasuPu'a Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ilona Andrews' Magic Slays. After finally giving up on the Anita Blake series it's nice to find a decent urban fantasy series with a likable female lead. I just hope Andrews doesn't screw the shark the way LKH did later on.

I'm also starting Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. So far, awesome read.

16. MikeRy71

MikeRy71 Ensign Red Shirt

Reading Star Trek: Enemy Unseen...Should be done with it before my ST: Destiny trilogy arrives in the mail.

17. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Finished up Attack of the Clones. JD, I heartily agree, the extra material with all of the families really pushed that one over the top. Scenes like that are what I used to read novelizations for.

I started The Future of Us, and so far it's been a really fun read. Turns out it's a YA book so I'm going through it fairly quickly, but I think that might also be because it's a great wish fulfillment story for me. As I mentioned earlier, it's about two teenagers who install AOL for the first time in 1996, but find themselves looking at their 2011 Facebook pages when they log in. I remember when I completed my Trek DVD collection, and thinking "Wow, I'd love to show this to my 12-year-old self." (For reference, at 12 I was eagerly awaiting the release of Wrath of Khan.) This book really plays in to that feeling.

Next on deck is Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions!

And I agree with everyone, great title for the new thread. It took a second for it to click, and made me literally lol when it did.

18. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I started reading New Jedi Order, since I have a few of the earlier books from the series.

Whether I'll read the entire series remains to be seen, considering there's like, 20 or so books.

AdmYates likes this.
  19. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I've read:

*Indiana Jones Omnibus, Vol. 1...where Indy actually has some racist lines towards Asians, and an Asian woman was named "Lotus Flower" during the course of the story. (Yes, the era is the 1930s, but come on...)

*Indiana Jones: The Further Adventures, Vol. 1 - A bit better, quicker stories, passable art...

*The Last Unicorn graphic novel

*Indiana Jones Adventures, Vol. 2 - pretty good

*Tales from the Crypt - a modernized graphic novel

*That Man Bolt by Peter Crowcroft - novelization of the 1970s film; still as convoluted/heavily plot-holed as the film...but interesting, nonetheless..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  20. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

The correct phrase is jump the shark. It came from the Happy Day episode where Fonzie jumped the shark.