Believe it or not, July 4 Syfy Greatest American Hero Marathon

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr. Adventure, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

SyFy sure is skipping a lot of episodes.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

He just took that Seinfeld scene at face value? Funny.

Can't show 43 episodes in one day...

3. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

I was so obsessed with this show in elementary school that my classmates nicknamed me Ralph. I hadn't seen it in for nearly 15 years when it came out on DVD. Revisting it, I came to two conclusions. Robert Culp was really entertaining and Connie Selleca was really hot.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Could be done in 2 days ;)

That would be a proper marathon.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just saw "Divorce Venusian Style," the third-season premiere where Ralph and Bill get taken up in the alien ship and meet the "green guys" at last. Or rather, one "green guy," who actually was green and had just about the worst alien-makeup job I've ever seen. The alien had a full-head mask that looked totally plastic and had awful mouth articulation. Design-wise, it looked like a Ferengi as rendered by Dr. Seuss. And the footage on the viewscreens as the ship moved through space was stock FX footage from Cosmos. I remember that.

Really, I'm surprised by how much of this show I remember, even some of the songs. ("Operation: Spoilsport" was the first place I ever heard "Eve of Destruction.") I guess I was really into it and watched the episodes multiple times.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Sure you can. Splitscreen, baby! :techman:

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

He thought the George answering machine song was an original? I guess that's not as bad as wondering why John Mellencamp is copying a Jessica Simpson song or why Sting is stealing from Sean Combs, since Joey Scarbury was a one-hit wonder, but still...

8. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

Isn't that the one where Ralph shrunk himself and lost the instruction book a second time?

Me too. I was quite surprise when I was older and found out it was an anti-Vietnam War anthem. :)

9. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Greatest American Hero is streaming on Netflix and I thought recently about watching it. After reading this thread, I've concluded, I must watch it now.

10. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have the 45 of the theme song. Sadly, I remember most if not all of the words.

Oh, Robert Culp was so thin! No wonder I had a crush on him back then.

11. Ar-Pharazon

^ You know, I think I had the 45 back in the day.

It's long gone now, of course, but there's always mp3's.

And 99¢ later, there it is!

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I will forever hate this show as I was expecting a Twilight Zone marathon and saw this instead. I screamed "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" in fury. Robert Culp is always awesome, though.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good lord, stirring up long dormant memories here, I had that too along with the soundtrack to Grease and a 45 of Hall and Oates Your Kiss is on my List. What can I say I guess my tastes as a kid were on the mellow side.

14. Ar-Pharazon

^ Compared to what I listen to now (95% of the time), very mellow.

Also having memories of thinking how hot Connie Selleca was then (me as a 13-15 year old then), and overlaying my adult "ideas" on top of them now. :drool:

15. Thena

Thena Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been having fun watching the marathon. Much better than most of the craptastic movies SyFy shows these days. But wow, anyone else think that Ralph's high school students look like they're in their late twenties?

16. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My husband just doesn't like a lot of older or eighties looking shows. I'm just more nostalgic I guess. I have some Dark Shadows 45s, but not GAH. I do however, still also enjoy the horrible Spiderman series that was on around the same time. ;0)

17. Ar-Pharazon

That brown 1973 AMC Matador sure got a workout during the show's entire run.

18. Thena

Thena Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^So did the soundtrack, apparently. Some of the background music sounds like stuff from "The A-Team" and one of the episodes with the space ship had what seemed like TOS-style bridge sound effects.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Not to mention the "stock footage alert", which was always a high point of BSG in those days too.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Got to watch about three episodes until my wife made me change the channel.:(