Things you thought were stupid on ds9.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mr Pointy Ears, Mar 22, 2014.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Sure it would have.
    But it still remains an unfinished story, the original purpose for the Federation coming to Bajor and having Starfleet establish Deep Space Nine.

2. milquetoast

milquetoast Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

- IMO Killing the character off seemed the only way to deal with her absence. She had made a life there, her friends were there and her husband.
    - I had read that the Founders took the unfinished form as a comfort to Odo. And they hated solids so why bother trying to look like one when your not trying to impersonate one.

I hated Mirror Bashir's hair and his mirror accent.

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    1.Making Sisko a Prophet/arranged birth thing

2. Ending of "Sacrifice of Angels"

3. Sabotaging Dukat's character

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The only way it would have made sense for Bajor to join the Federation in that episode is if they had a "Six months later..." or something. It just wouldn't have made sense for Bajor to just say "Okay the war ended yesterday. Hey we all just voted and we're joining!" That would have seemed a little too much of a contrivance, IMO.

5. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

By the time the finale rolled around, I think wrapping up the war and putting the final notes on the rich character arcs and relationships was more important than whether or not Bajor joined the Federation. And though many pieces were wrapped up to an extent, I was pleased with the unsettled tone of the finale and the final scene, which was a reflection of the series as a whole. And I think it was good to leave some threads open for future fiction.

6. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I liked Ezri , but the idea of the new Dax just happening to be a female, Trill Starfleet officer with dark hair--and wearing a blue uniform from the science division --that was too gimmicky.

Going from trainee to Lieutenant and later putting her on the Defiant in a con like position where she gave out reports just like Jadzia..

She was made to look a little too much like Jadzia.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I have to disagree. It could have been easily mentioned in passing during the scene in Vic's (before he launched into his song). In the final scenes on the station, Kira would be walking around as an official Starfleet captain.

Nah, I think it should have been wrapped up in the actual series than in some book somewhere. As such, why our heroes were there in the first place comes across as something that was forgotten or was dropped because they ran out of time due to too many things that weren't wrapped up prior to the finale.

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Only 1 Romulan warship class. Models are expensive, but couldn't they have created just 1 original Romulan warship to complement the D'Deridex class for the series? I like how the novelization of "What You Leave Behind" mentions 2375 Romulan birds of prey.

9. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

May be not stupid, but quite odd thing for me:
    The commercial relationships on the station.

The Federation has no money, but DS9-station isn't a part of Federation's space.
    So, on DS9 there is plenty of small shops, there is "Quark's" and other eateries, were golden-pressed latinum is used. On the other hand, all people can use free replicators to get food, clothes and other stuff.

The question is, from where the Federation people (starfleet officers) can get enough golden-pressed latinum, if they don't get money from their government.

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Oh, I like this one.

Yes! It's totally stupid!

11. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

We never see Quark asking for GPL for anything consumed or enjoyed strictly within the confines of the bar. Presumably, Quark is satisfied with whatever non-monetary currency is used by either the Federation, the Bajorans, or just on the station for food, drink and holosuite time. It's only when something is durable and transportable that GPL becomes the preferred method of payment: gambling, wedding rings, auction items, etc. It would then be up to the individual SF officer to convert whatever credits or allowances or barter for services in order to obtain the GPL or initiate an exchange.

12. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I agree. I could deal with everything right up until she was piloting the Defiant. I can't imagine she was the most qualified officer for the position. Regardless of Dax's history, Ezri did not have the experience to justify it. Lazy writing. They took the easy route by essentially replcing Terry Farrell's chacracter with a new actor, but cut her hair short therefore making her completely different. :rolleyes:

A man would have been the better choice. I get all the reasons they didn't, but if DS9 were made today I bet they would. They could have solved the woman shortage problem by giving Keiko or Kassidy more prominent roles (which happened for Kasidy in the final arc anyway).

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

When was Ezri at the conn--can't remember that epsiode (damn shame, I'll have to go and rewatch DS9 now and keep an eye out for it :) )? She acted more as comm/ops officer during the few instances we saw her on the bridge.

I do think that the new Dax should've been a man, especially if his character arc remained the same. Kira was more than enough woman on the main cast, but there wouldn't have been any harm in giving Kasidy a greater role--or even brought back T'Rul as the Romulan equivilant of Martok.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Credits.

Picard and Jake mentioned that Humans don't have money (except all of those who do), but the Federation easily could.

I never assumed what comes out of the replicator is free. In TV shows set in modern times, how often in bars, shops and restaurant do you see characters pay for items?

The easiest answer is that they do in fact get paid.

:)

15. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having just finished watching the entire series, I could come up with a huge list, but I will list off my biggest pet peeves:

1. Odo was useless. The acting was phenomenal, but the character as written was completely useless. His shape-shifting ability is just a gimmick that is hardly ever used properly. The whole idea that he can turn into anything but can't replicate a humanoid face is just as retarded as an Android that can't use contractions.

2. Jadzia Dax. It's interesting how a lot of you hate Ezri, and rightly so. Jadzia was just as bad though, although in a different way. Ezri is supposed to be confused about who she is. Realistically if you just got infused with 300 years of other people's lifetime experiences as memories, I imagine you would be confused for a while, but that same experience would allow you to make sense of it a lot quicker than Ezri did. Surprisingly, she makes more sense than Jadzia as a character. I don't think Terry Farrell ever convinced me she was supposed to be this great wise old man. She just came across as an arrogant bitch for most of the show.

3. Gold pressed Latinum. - How is it exactly that complex lifeforms can be transported easily to and fro, but replicated food tastes "replicated", and Latinum is a substance that can't be replicated? The whole idea of money in a universe where energy is pretty much limitless is stupid.

4. Kira, simply because Nana Visitor is a horrible actress.

5. The Worf/Jadzia relationship. Absolutely zero chemistry. At least Kira was right in saying Jadzia had frightening taste in men.

6. The mirror universe. Every single episode was horrendous. The actors were horrible enough trying to play their normal characters, but getting them to play "evil" versions of themselves was laughable. And giving the resistance the schematics for the Defiant (in a universe where Starfleet hasn't existed in 100 years, and they barely had enough resources to survive in hiding) and in the span of a few days they have an exact replica of the Defiant to use against the Alliance. The only good thing out of that whole arc was the little exchange between evilEzri, Rom and Zek prime: (I will paraphrase)

Ezri: "I'm trying to save your lives, do you want to live?"
    Rom: "I want to live!!"
    Zek: "Me too!!!!"

16. JirinPanthosa

Agree with you on 3, 5, and 6, but on the others you're insane. Okay, Odo's inability to mimic a human face was a plot device and an excuse to give him makeup that didn't make him look too human. He was one of the most interesting and different characters in the show, one of the most competent, principled and conflicted characters in Trek.

17. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it would have worked better if they have had Odo slowly learn how to create a better face, and not have the other changelings in the show "struggle" with the same issue.

By the end of the show he could have gotten it pat down that his face looks fully humanoid.

Personally I think they just wanted to hide Rene Auberjonois' age with the make up, with the added bonus of making him look "alien". Hence, gimmick.

And also I forgot to add that he can morph into creatures that are 100 times smaller than his humanoid size (where does all that mass disappear to?) and he can morph into energy beings and fog (What is he, a nanobot cloud?)

As for his character conflict, he did, as an actor, an excellent job in portraying a horribly written character. What's his primary motivation for rejecting his people? He's infatuated with Kira. This is even stated several times during the show. Basically he wanted to morph a dick and stick it inside Kira, and this kept him from switching sides. If Kira was not a factor, he would have abandoned the solids and sided with whatever his people wanted to do.

Rene however, took what he was given and added depth to is as the great actor he is, so he turned an epic fail into a bare win.

18. JirinPanthosa

I agree with your assessment of the actor's makeup decisions, but not your assessment of the writing.

Kira was not the only reason Odo did not rejoin the Founders. Sure, it was the clinching reason, but he also strongly disagreed with their militaristic dominance of solids. If it weren't for Kira, he would have gone to his homeworld, but he would have tried to spread the gospel of peace just as he finally did at the end of the series. And what makes you think Odo's interest in Kira is sexual rather than just intimately personal? Odo seemed to enjoy sexual relationships for the personal intimacy and closeness, rather than the physical pleasure.

And if you're bothered by Odo's shapeshifting not respecting conservation of mass, I can't see how you can enjoy a single Star Trek episode. Terrible science is a Star Trek constant, regardless of which one you're watching.

19. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1. Odo was useless? Odo was the corner stone of all Dominion War plot.
    As for his poor abilities to replicate humanoid face, it's a philosophical thing. Odo's goal was to explore humanity and understand what is it "to be human". He didn't fully morph into human because he didn't finish his exploration.
    As for Odo's uselessness, "The drop becomes the ocean, the ocean becomes a drop". Odo was as much important to Changelings, as the whole Great Link. For Odo his people were as much important as his life for himself. Odo and Great Link are equal. So, his rejection of Great Link was a real deep conflict. He did it not for Kira, he did it due to his feelings of justice and his knowing of "solids".
    Without Odo's presence on the station it would be impossible to show the other side of relationships between Changelings and humans. Such things as fear, jealousy were two-sided, and it was shown with the help of Odo.

2. Jadzia Dax was exactly what she supposed to be. Young, brave, lively, attractive woman. And "an arrogant bitch". Why not? She lived 7 (or near) lives, she is already have a great experience in various collisions in life. "To be this great wise old man" means to understand, that in life there is no thing of absolute great importance. All is come and gone, everything has it's begin and end and very short time to be actual and important. Jadzia acts as a child, because she knows the price of life, the true value of joy, happiness and new discoveries.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  20. popcultureevil

popcultureevil Lieutenant

Should have been more Bajoran sects/denominations. Maybe even one that sees Sisko's role in a different light, or has different customs regarding the Emissary's purpose. Kind of like how Catholics and Anglicans are both Christians, but see Jesus in a different light.

Jadzia was a shallow character. She only seemed to care about having fun and never took anything seriously. Ezri was better, in writing and development.

The way some characters were bitches/dicks to the Grand Negus should have been court-martial offences. OK, they didn't like Ferengi, but then any foreign head of state/government must be accorded respect, not scoffing or similar. Ben is my favourite Captain (along with Picard) but even he took part in this, which is unbecoming him as a CO of an important installation.