AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's finally here, the big moment that Marvel Studios has been building towards since the founding and implementation of their film slate in 2006. It began with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk in 2008. Iron Man is the studios highest grosser to date.
    Followed by Iron Man 2 in 2010 which opened huge and is the current highest opener for the studio at $133m.
    In 2012 the studio added more pieces to the puzzle with Thor and Captain America.

Now, this May(earlier in some places) Marvel Studios in conjunction with Disney bring you Earth's Mightiest Heroes: The Avengers!!

[​IMG]

The film opens next week in a number of European markets and the embargo for reviews is lifted as of 4/20 leading up to opening night in France, UK and other select markets on 4/26. The film has had it's global premiere and debuts in North America on May 4. I'll try to post as many as I can find.

THE AVENGERS
    [yt]v=NPoHPNeU9fc[/yt]

Rotten Tomatoes
    Yahoo! Movies
    Metacritic

FYI-The poll is public.

The Avengers is tracking to open in the upwards realm of $150 million but $125m is the lowest I've seen. Should open big. The year 2012 has been good and 3 weeks out from it's North American release The Hunger Games was only tracking in the 120 realm and that blew up so a repeat could happen here as well!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59fPX4CAQwk[/yt]

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Jesus, do we really need 5 Avengers threads?

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

7 reviews in at RT, and we're at 100% :D

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

considering one of those is about a cartoon and two are about the comics, that's only 3 about the movie and one's about the sequel so it's not that bad.

7. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

It would seem that the Joss is with us... :D

8. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Hard to believe we're down to just two weeks until May 4!

:bolian:

9. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

No offense, but isn't two weeks kind of still early for the official thread?

Cinemablend gives it four and a half out of five stars. That's about as high a rating that I've ever seen from them.

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/The-Avengers-5829.html

Also Bleeding Cool was overwhelming positive but it addresses specific things, no major spoilers but I kind of wish I didn't read it for one particular thing.

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

it opens on the 27th in many overseas territories including the UK and Australia, so a week before that isn't that far in advance. i'm seeing it on the 9th with my sister when she's home. i was going to go twice and see it on the 27th, but decided to save the money since my sister's paying for us to see it.

12. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Empire gave it 4 stars, IGN said it's awesome.

I'm going to see it next Thursday, might even go see it more than once.

13. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

IGN's right. It's awesome. Gripping action, fleshed-out characters, genuine laugh-out-loud humour, and it just looks fantastic.

Joss Whedon could've failed in so many ways. But - true to his wunderkind reputation - he's surpassed my expectations.

I'll be watching it again, soon.

14. Captain Craig

I noted what captcalhoun has in the OP for this thread. We are a global BBS and the buildup thread was for just that, buildup. It's a week out from it's first initial wide international release and reviews will be hitting from those markets now that the embargo is lifted. So for reviews and any who might attend a sneak show in those areas the proper place is a review/grade thread, not the build up cause for them it's now here.

15. Captain Craig

LiveForFilms.com
    uk.screengeeks.com - 4/5 stars
    digitalspy.com - 4/5 stars

16. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    UK Daily Fail gave it a thumbs up, and usually doesn't know arse from elbow. Not sure whether that's a good sign or bad. :vulcan:

17. Captain Craig

Movie-Moron.com - A grade
    viewaucklund.co.nz - 5o5 stars
    thepopcornjunkie.com - 4.5 of 5 stars
    BleedingCool.com their 3-D review - stars/grade unknown but he liked it.

18. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The reviews are intriguing, but I'm still waiting for something that says anything deeper than "I liked it, the characters did cool things." I have yet to see a single review that says anything about the cinematography, the visual effects, the direction, the actual filmmaking. I keep going back to that clip of Thor and Captain America fighting in the street, which breaks the 180 rule so hard that it makes my head spin. It all feels like a bunch of inconsequential, weightless action which exists for the sole purpose of arranging the titular characters in poses that make for good posters. All that it has going for it, so far, is, "Damn, wow, if you would have told me you'd see professional actors cosplaying and doing Jim Lee poses 10 or 15 years ago, I wouldn't have believed you! What strange times we live in!"

Maybe that's what people want, I don't know. But, again, all of the reviews that have come out since the embargo was lifted feel horribly superficial, much like how all the released footage of the film feels.

19. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'll be seeing it on May 5th together with friends after we've spent a day at a roleplaying/board games/nerd convention (and we'll go Sunday too).. perfect framing for it! And now that the reviews pour in and many of them are good to ecstatic i'm hopeful.. i really like Joss and knows he's a nerd and pop culture insider so if given control it could turn out good but major blockbusters are not produced without studio meddling which often leads to a train wreck of a movie.

So it's only two weeks before i hear Cap yell his legendary command to the Avengers! :techman::techman:

20. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Just a note -- I know that this is the review and discussion thread, and there are people here who have already seen the film, but keep in mind the spoiler rules, especially because the film doesn't officially open anywhere until a week from now. Don't go blabbing stuff.

Thanks.

If what I've read is accurate, it isn't actually said at any point in the film.