AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

The Incredible Hulk is not a bad movie at all, but I felt that it lacked chemistry. Always thought that a quick going-over by a certain Joss Whedon could have done wonders for the script.

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Actually, my problem with the 3-D glasses is that I always get the ones that are half clouded over, so it's never the film itself that bothers me. I'm always taking off and wiping the stupid glasses. On the relative few instances when I get clear glasses, 3-D is great. It's just this time it couldn't make me love the film more than I already did and wasn't distorted enough without the glasses to make me love it less. That's what I mean.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I saw it again this evening with my buddy in 3D. Third time I've seen the movie inside of a week and likely the last time I'll see it in theaters. I don't think the 3D added much but as others has said it didn't take much away either.

My problem with 3D glasses is that I wear eyeglasses anyway so my regular glasses' frames get pressed in more by the 3D glasses causing some discomfort and even a touch of pain in my temples just from the pressure of two layers of rims.

The movie remains awesome, BTW. I look forward to a BluRay of it.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure why I didn't notice these things before(too much awesome going on at one time?) but here are some great little inter-continuity things in the film I noticed tonight.

San Paulo
    When Coulson is bringing Natasha in or shortly after, the actual sequence isn't important, you see a monitor with BW & HE in action. Atop the monitor it reads Mission: San Paulo.
    When BW and Loki are talking about red in her ledger Loki throws a list of events at her and mentions...yep, San Paulo. Which no doubt he got out of Clint but still. Like Budapest, what went down in San Paulo??

Shawarma Palace exterior
    Sure Tony mentions it 3 times in 15 seconds near the end and that he saw it but I thought it was an offscreen moment. After Tony plays "Jonah" with one of the flying space slugs he crashes to the ground. Now my eyes went to the Farmers Insurance sign on the building each time, it's bigger and higher in the shot. However, just below and to the left is the banner signage for Shawarma Palace.

IM & Cap teamwork moment
    After Loki amplified their misgivings on the hellicarrier you kinda wondered about these guys. Then as the battle ramps up IM takes a big step and tells Cap to "Call It". Near the end of the film in an improved moment to get as many Chitauri as possible IM fires his repulsers at Caps shield creating a broader beam to hit the most Chitauri with. My earlier viewings I just thought IM blasted them independently.

5. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

No, not necessarily. I've been a bit cranky lately thus the bit of a comment. That said, I don't think it's as good as any of the three mentioned above. I think, for me, it suffers greatly when you compare it to The Dark Knight whic IMHO blows this movie away in every way imagineable other than the LOL moments. To my mind there are two A+ comic book movies, The Dark Knight and Superman II (consider the times and how bavl then it was such a HUGE deal it was even being made as comparted to today), and then maybe one or two that might get an A or A- and the rest B+ or below.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The Dark Knight is clearly a fantastic movie, but I have a really hard time re-watching it. In fact, I've only seen it twice all the way through. All other attempts to re-watch it have resulted in me getting bored and turning it off. It just moves too slow.

The Avengers...I could see myself re-watching it over and over. It was just fun.

7. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

The movie is taken to another level by Ledger's portrayal as The Joker. The darkness in that mind is just disturbing and he does it so well you feel a bit uncomfortable when you leave the theater.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That is really an argument. Sure, Ledger's performance was excellent, probably better than any performance in any superhero movie that I've seen. But just because one man's performance is excellent doesn't make the movie more fun to watch. The Dark Knight puts me to sleep. The Avengers wakes me up.

9. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of my favorite parts was right before the final battle when Cap gives everyone their orders and they follow them!!!He's giving orders to Gods and Monsters and no one complains even Stark.:)

One thing I noticed and though I doubt it was done on purpose was Banner turns into the Hulk just twice first in about in the middle of the film and again near the end,which is like it was done on the Hulk TV show.:lol:

10. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't remember David Banner initiating the change on the TV show. He was normally taking a beat down and trying to warn the guy off before Lou Ferrigno emerged.

11. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Just got back from seeing it and I loved it, the action and the humor and the charcter interaction...

...and trying to compare it to Dark Knight is apples-and-oranges to me... it's hard to match them up.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I still get a giggle from "Puny God".

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Very true. They're completely different movies trying to do completely different things. It's really not fair to compare them.

14. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

True, and thus, this was my favourite moment of the movie by far
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2HGQqd5gA

15. Trekker4747

Yeah, comparing this movie to TDK isn't fair, really, to either movie. FWIW, I consider TDK to be a flat-A movie (not a + because of Bale's ridiculous Batman voice.)

But they're highly graded for different reasons. TDK has themes and tones and deeper meanings and such in it, it's got great performances in it (again mostly excluding Bale) and just a great overall sense of mood and tone. It lacks humor, fun and all of that but it doesn't need it as it's got a great sense of its own moods.

Avengers is great because it also does what it seeks out to do in being a comic book come to life and does it very well. It's own sense of mood and tone stand out well and are done well and, really, I can't find any flaws in it without getting into nitpicking. It's everything TDK isn't and everything TDK is The Avengers isn't. The plot in TA is very pedestrian and thin, it's downright a commonplace trope. But the characterization in it and the balance of them works out well and it's just a fun movie that doesn't really shortchange any of the characters. It's a good, fun, movie. Not deep or meaningful but just fun.

Now, yes, I give TDK an A and The Avengers an A+ but I'd really say both movies are the best examples of the Comic Book Movie genre. The TDK for tone, mood, and to a certain degree performances (all on Ledger's shoulders) and TA for a more fun tone and mood. Again, the only reason why The Avengers is a partial grade above TDK is because of Bale's absurd Batman voice.

16. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The plot in TDK is that a psycho with face paint is committing mass murders in a city and a neurotic in a costume stops him. This is actually the same plot as Burton's Batman. The story is told far differently in each movie, but it is the same story. Burton puts in far more backstory for his psycho, while Nolan leaves it blank. Leaving it blank lets the viewer ponder; it's not genius to leave it blank, it's another trope that's used often, like with Wolverine for decades in comics. TDK works, and is a fine movie, but the plot is just the same plot we've seen a hundred times.

17. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The weekend box office estimates are in, and they have The Avengers taking in $103.2 million. Of course, these numbers could change when the actuals are reported tomorrow, but if they're accurate (or even if they're slightly off), that's another milestone for this movie. This is the biggest second weekend ever, beating the previous record of $75.6 million (made by Avatar over Christmas weekend in 2009).

What's more, with another $95.4 million (estimated) from the foreign markets, The Avengers has joined the billionaires' club, and passed The Dark Knight's worldwide total of $1,001,921,825.

This flick is a monster. I can't wait to see what its final take will be.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

And invading aliens is entirely new?

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

he didn't say it was, he just said the plot in TDK wasn't radically different to what's been done before.

20. Trekker4747

$1B in two weeks. Amazing. This movie is going to continue being a juggernaut there's not much between here and, what... Spider-man to pose a threat to this movie.