Unresolved Shows

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by TGTheodore, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

I don't know it that was made official. I was hoping for a whole season 9 and maybe 10, since the movie is not happening

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That wasn't a resolution, it was a complication. It was meant to be a cliffhanger season finale that would set up a new direction for the second season.

That was exactly the idea. The series would've shown the invasion getting progressively worse. The team's attempts to contain it and keep it secret would fail by the end of the first season, then the second season would be about fighting a holding action against the more open invasion, and the third would've had the heroes as a resistance movement fighting the victorious aliens.

Two-off, actually. Or four-off, depending on how you look at it. 2009 will see four half-hour specials: a new two-part episode, a special about its making, and "a clip show with a serious difference."

3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I wonder how the BBC managed to get everyone back together at last.

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Another vote for Now & Again
    grrr, that ending. I need to know what happened next!

5. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know the ending to Now and Again---Dennis Haysbert kills them all. :evil:

6. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Crap, seriously? Why even bother. They were ratings champions with season 8, why not a whole season?

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Invasion was a big "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Odyssey 5 was a big FUCK YOU! considering the ratings for the show was awesome.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Jericho - Civil War

Invasion - Hello body snatchers

Las Vegas - god thats sucked it was part 1 of 2 and NBC cut it due to writers strike, part 1 was not supposed to be finale of season/Series.

9. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Jericho. (Grrrrrr. ) Jeremiah (Don't get me started!) Space:AAB (What the hell were they thinking? You can't just leave things like that!) Journeyman (that wasn't a true wrap-it was a desperate struggle to find resolution for the fans after the cancel notice had come down-what a waste of potential on the part of the studio) and, of course, the one that hurt so badly-Sliders. As a side note-I'd add the original Battlestar Galactica. Galactica 1980 was a joke on so many levels (except for teh one episode about Starbuck-a gem in the pile of , well, you know.)

10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One could argue that Cooper's fate was at least revealed in Fire Walk with Me.
    He is in the non linear realm "black lodge" with Laura.
    From wiki on Dale Cooper:
    At the film's conclusion, Laura's spirit sits in the Red Room, and is looking up at Cooper whose hand is resting on her shoulder, and is smiling at her. Shortly thereafter, Laura's angel appears before them both and the film ends. The meaning behind Cooper's presence alongside Laura, and indeed, his ultimate fate - if he ever escaped the Black Lodge - is unknown.

Watching HBO shows usually means unresolved endings, I happen to find relative closure in Deadwood, Sopranos and John from Cincinatti whereas I find most people don't. As mentioned before, Carnivale was cancelled, but after two seasons meant as a single chapter in a three chapter series (wow, that's confusing) but I even thought that final episode wrapped enough up for me.

Television is maddening sometimes. My experience with Enterprise leads me to be cautious investing in characters that disappear from view. I like Terminator, but I think I'll see how long the series lasts before investing more in it.

I'm curious to see if Heroes will see the end of it's projected 5 chapter/season run. Splitting the seasons into "chapters" is a wise move.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Six Degrees. One hell of fantastic show with top notch acting and writing. Then, they tried to "retool" it because the ratings weren't up to par, and it fell apart. :mad:

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't know specifically, but I suspect your questions might answer each other. Maybe the Beeb couldn't get the cast back together for a full season due to scheduling or money concerns, but were able to get them together long enough to do these specials.

Anyway, season 8 was nearly a decade ago. We can't assume the show is as well-remembered or would do nearly as well in the ratings today.

Besides, a full season of RD was only 6-8 episodes anyway, so two episodes and two specials aren't that bad.

13. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How many nowadays have real trouble investing in any sort of 'quest' show? How many animated series could we add to the list?

Now, Land Of The Lost is an oddity. If you just ignore the 2nd and 3rd seasons, it has a true, wonderfully SF/F finale. But if you treat the S1 finale as just a new beginning, the show is unresolved.

I didn't see 'Circle' (LotL s1 finale) until years after cancellation, so I thought maybe the father came back at some point, and that this was the true ending.

I think its evident that today's SF/F writers and producers grew up at the same time as the rest of us, indicated by how many current series try like hell to have finales, no matter what.

14. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Still allowing 8 episodes allows them more time to do more things they were most likely going to do in the movie, though I think the movie was going to be set in the future from the last episode

Also, I don't think it matters how long ago it was, the repeats still generate high ratings, especially for repeats--according to the official site

15. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Dark Skies
    Space: Above and Beyond

16. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"The incredible Hulk"

There were three made-for-TV movies in the late eighties, starring Bixby and Ferrigno, which resolved things with the death of the character, but these are almost universally considered non-canonical because of their poor quality and radical departure from the original series format. On the recent DVD release for the original series, Ken Johnson and all of the original TIH production staff all lament the unresolved fate of the show in retrospective interviews, while all ignore the reunion movies as if they didn't exist. That's pretty much the stance taken by fans, too.

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yes, Deadwood did have some closure, and the ending scene--of Al scrubbing blood off the floor--is just like the when we first saw him in Episode 1. So, we did get some closure--or at least a sense of how things would continue for the characters.

I'm curious about Heroes as well. While I thought season 1 was great, I thought season 2 was mediocre. This season has a lot of interesting and exciting things, but what they've done with Mohinder has been dreadful. I'm wondering how long they can maintain the interesting plot(s) before it gets too convoluted and people just give up.

18. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the BBC aren't. it's being made for the satellite channel Dave. (yes, there's a channel called 'Dave'.)

19. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

What the hell is wrong with the BBC? So I take it this won't be released on dvd with the rest of the series due to the distributor?

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral