Spoilers TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic by McIntee Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Mar 22, 2011.

?

Rate Indistinguishable From Magic

1. Outstanding

51 vote(s)
    28.5%
  2. Above Average

69 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Average

27 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. Below Average

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. Poor

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

Got it today as well, along with the third Eureka novel (which actually prevented that I got IFM over a week ago). I will start it once I've finished the Doctor Who book I'm currently reading.

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Write your question, highlight it and then click on the last icon above the text window (the smiley with x as its mouth).

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Or just PM me...

4. Lonemagpie

Depends on your definition of safe sex...

*Bets*, I mean safe bets...

5. Truth

Truth Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Im sure you did..lol but itsa great read.. im a lreay half way thur it..

6. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He can't yet. Not enough posts. 50 posts and 2 weeks.

And on topic... still waiting for this damned book to show up here. Then I have to figure out a clever way to zip it to the top of the list...

7. Annorax

Annorax Lieutenant Red Shirt

I blasted through this in one day. Mostly good stuff, although there were a couple of points that didn't quite resonate well with me.

I have a few questions. Please feel free to answer or not; it's your little corner of the universe and I don't want to poke and prod where I'm not welcome.

Hunt dies, why have the bit of debate between Nog and Qat'ka about who's in command? Presumably Nog is in Challenger's chain of command, while an exchange officer who chooses not to accept a Starfleet commission would be far lower, if not eligible for command. I read this as Nog having learned a bit about emergency command after the Valiant debacle, but like many things, I've probably missed the point.

Also...
    I'm not finding it at all believable that the Corps of Engineers would let Geordi get away so easily after losing Scotty. I can buy him being allowed to keep the rank, but is this intended to set up Geordi eventually taking over Scotty's position as the leader of the SCE?

8. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

Wondering if this will be available in ebook format or do I have to buy the paperback again? The Kobo store doesn't have it yet.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I have the Kindle version, so yeah.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I literally just bought the Nook version (and the Noobook of PoD) like 10 minuets ago. Would it ruin anything in PoD if I read them concurrently?

11. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ Some very, very slight spoilers involving a love interest of LaForge's, but it's pretty minor.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Mmmmmmm. 10 Minuets... :drool:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

;):cool:

13. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

All right, finished it today.

Good book, though I was a little disappointed that Geordi pretty much ends up right back where he started. Yes, he's a 'captain' and he has Leah, but I'd wish that he had his own ship and crew! Captain La Forge of the SCE! ^__^

Okay, getting carried away.... :rommie:

I liked the end of Scotty's story, too. He MIGHT make it, he might not, but either way was a grand send off. Loved Spock's comments in the end too.

I voted 'Above Average' and it nearly made it to Outstanding! Good job!

14. Lonemagpie

Not specifically - I just didn't want a reset-button for him. (See Shanjayell's post!) So it's left there if anyone wants to make use of it in future.

15. Lonemagpie

The original intent, of course, was that it would be two books, so there'd have been a gap into which you could slot such adventures in between them. Obviously that was lost when it became one book, but that's why there's a gap of a couple of months between parts one and two...

I liked the end of Scotty's story, too. He MIGHT make it, he might not, but either way was a grand send off.

That was the intent, all the way!

Ta!

16. Truth

The crew was great , and to see the way some old ones deveolped was great.
    About the crew
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Option[/COLOR][/B]]...I love the crew,even kat at, who at first i thought was going to end up being a female worf rip off, making alyssa a doctor was a great call and makes since given the losses startfleet suffered, they would need to replace their losses with quafied people, and having been head nurse for so long, she would have learn thu hands on work , what other went to starfleet medical For.

about USS Challenger

[COLOR=#ff0000]Option[/COLOR][/B]]While im sad to see geordi first command destroyed, im not sad to see a galaxy class GO, i love the class but im a little tired of it now, you dont have to create a new class every time you promote a famiar face, like they did for dax, or riker, but on the same hand their are alot of other class ships that dont get used in trek books except as back up// NF has has two galaxy classes and now DS9.. So if they do give geordi his own command at some point , i hope it not a galaxy class

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  17. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally got it. I will resist skipping to the end, and reading the spoilers. Should start by Saturday.

18. jedimaster

jedimaster Ensign Red Shirt

Not a bad book but I can see how practicalities got in the way. The story feels very compressed, at times I had to go back to see if there was a line of description that I had missed, which now that I know it was intended for a two book arc makes sense.

I am curious as to how Scotty's illness and end of active field duty precluded his being head of the SCE from San Fransisco. McCoy is still an admiral and he's in worse shape than Scotty.

That said it was still a great send off for the character, I mean it took half a universe to back him into a corner and he still found a way out.

I liked the characters and wish they could have had more time for development

by the way does it really make sense that alyssa ogawa could become a doctor with so little retraining?

and a first officer and chief engineer who speak proper english are much appreciated, no offence to those of you across the pond, but I'd begun to think the whole galaxy spoke American.

In short I like the story, although I hope the next one is given enough publishing length, and I hope the characters are reused at some point.

19. Lonemagpie

Well, we don't really know how much retraining was needed. - I gave the options of having the CMO be either her, Pulaski (the sort of CMO Scotty would recognize!), or a new character, and CBS picked her.

Ahhahahaha! Too bloody right!

20. Truth

[

by the way does it really make sense that alyssa ogawa could become a doctor with so little retraining?

I dont see why not she has been in her postion for a long time, she would not need to be re trained, that implies she was taught something thats in contrast to her previous training, when in fact it would only be more detailed or advanced training. Remember she has been doing here job for quite some time , practrical exprinces vs class room even today there are programs designed to promote such things, and like her it requires a certian amount of hands on training to and time at your job to even be considered, I think she meets both, so to me it makes perfect sense