Game Criticisms (Resident Evil)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Solariabsg25, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

I am a fan of Resident Evil, and have played most of the games, including Outbreak. So, I picked up Resident Evil 6, and really enjoyed it.

Imagine my shock when I discovered apparently that it is one of the worst games ever, the worst Resident Evil game, and you can complete it without even firing a gun.

Yes it is much more action-orinetated than the earlier Resident Evils, and by Great Grothar's Hammer what is it with all the quick-time events? But the universe of Resident Evil HAS moved on. BOWs are no longer a little-known pet project of the shadowy Umbrella Corporation, but used by unscrupulous militaries and terrorists.

They pandered to the old fans by giving them a slower creepier campaign for Leon, action for Chris, and a mix of the two for Jake. Yet it is a disaster and a catastrophe.

Does anyone out there feel it was a failure, and if so, why?

2. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

You enjoyed it and it was the worst?!?
    Does not compute...

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I didn't mind RE5 and infact played it with friends more than any other RE game but RE6 seems top have taken the OTT elements way too far. I wish Capcom would give the series a long break and come back with a clean reboot with new characters.

4. Solariabsg25

No, I meant I enjoyed it, but according to many other people's opinions I've seen I SHOULD have hated everything about it.

An RE reboot may be problematical, since the first game was already rebooted with the REmake.

I've no problem with re-using old characters, but maybe they do need to spread them out a bit. Leon and Chris have been in most of the main games, as has Jill, but there are a host of secondary characters around that fans would like to see again, such as Carlos, Rebecca and Barry. And of course both 5 and 6 did introduce some new characters into the RE universe.

One thing I do hope they do in the future of the series, whatever direction they head in, is keep Albert Wesker dead! If he comes back yet again, then really is there any point in killing any of the villains? You may as well say that Krauser magically survived, or what happened to Excella was just a temporary thing and she got better.

Of course, there is another direction to go in - what if they split the franchise in two? One game series being pure survival-horror (along the lines of say Dead Space), and the other being BSAA missions. Would that satisfy people, or would it bring diminishing returns as less people would buy each project as they appeal to different fans?

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They turned a survival horror franchise into a crappy action game to appeal more to Call of Duty players. Dead Space 3 did the same thing. That's why gamers were pissed off at the game.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  6. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, RE has somewhat devolved into more of an action title than straight up survival horror, but I think that that was a result of switching from the "restricted camera angles and tank controls" approach to the more fluid, over the shoulder movement method. Inevitably, with that kind of freedom of movement, the game ends up needing to play more like an action title.

It doesn't bother me that RE has become more action oriented. I largely just enjoy the stories....and I love it when the extra costumes for the female characters are nice and sexy. :D

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it's because Capcom wanted to attract fans of Call of Duty. Capcom themselves say this in the article that I linked to in my previous post. They could have easily made a survival horror game with the new control scheme, but Capcom (who isn't exactly doing too well financially) was desperate to expand the base and get some of that sweet Call of Duty money. It disappointed longtime fans and sales were below expectations. And now Capcom is up for sale.

8. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

I suppose so. AH, well, it don't bother me much.
    I still love Resident Evil.

Besides, there's a new game coming out from the Resident Evil's creator that supposedly smacks of RE, and is looking to get back to the feel of RE, rather than being just another actioner appealing to CoD players. :)

(Apologies if you caught my first post before editing this.....had a bad day. ) :)

9. Solariabsg25

ORC had some great fun elements in it, such as making enemies bleed to attract nearby zombies to them and using zombies as shields, but on the whole it was a bit of a mess, with near-useless AI, some enemies shrugging off fire (yeah, I know lickers are supposed to be tough, but I expect one to actually recoil and not just attack me while I'm pumping heavy-machine gun rounds into it), and the weapons stats being strangely skewed. Though I feel it is telling that today I can go onto ORC and find a multiplayer on-line match relatively easily, while it takes hours to find one for Aliens:Colonial Marines.

CAPCOM may have made RE6 more action-orientated, but as a business if RE5 was more successful than RE4, why wouldn't they? They are experiencing some problems at the moment, but mainly due to the fact that most of their IPs have massively under-performed, whereas they are just sitting on others and not developing them. IIRC aren't a lot of games companies going through that? Dead Space 4 looks unlikely following the less-than anticipated sales of Dead Space 3, and COD Ghosts sales were behind those of Black Ops II.

Leon's campaign is my 2nd favourite of RE6, the escape from Tall Oaks and making their way through the catacombs was suitably creepy. The only reason this falls behind Chris's is due to the fact that it was ruined by the Captain Scarlet-like Simmonds. He's dead - no wait, he's mutated. Ah he's dead now, no hold on, now he's a t-rex. Ah-ha! At last, he's - oh for the love of God!!!!