The Borg and JJ's universe

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DarthTom, May 2, 2013.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking that since everything has changed, how did the timeline change Earth's introduction to the Borg and moving forward into the 24th century Starfleets re-introduction to the Borg?

Presumably since the timeline has been altered Picard never meets the Borg? First Contat never happens? The Borg don't time travel back to Earth. Cochran never meets the Borg?

So how everthing been changed? Speculation?

2. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Hopefully Trek gets re-booted again before we ever have to cross that bridge.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to the writers, the timeline split in 2233, and so everything prior to that (First Contact, Enterprise) happened and is unchanged. Picard and co. just came down (and returned to) a different branch of the timeline to the one JJ-Trek inhabits. The hows and whys of timelines splitting and merging are detailed in the novel Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock. It actually makes sense, tying every Trek time travel into one seemingly-consistent system.

That said, the new videogame treats nuTrek like a full-on reboot, completely rewriting the Gorn's origins and backstory. So anything's possible:shrug:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Borg are the villains of STXIII. It could be very cool.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  4. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

A proper Trek horror movie. I'm thinking really fucked up looking drones here.

5. DarthTom

How could that be because Enterprise E caused the initial visit to earth?

Wouldn't Temporal Investigations in the 29th century want to protect the new timeline?

6. DarthTom

Agreed. The Borg and Khan are the best of Trek's villians.

7. TommyW

TommyW Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd rather the next film didn't have an out and out villain. Enterprise vs Baddie in a Big Powerful Ship is getting tiresome

8. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

This being a separate universe to begin with means there wouldn't be any Prime Universe visits to the past that originated from TOS onwards, so it was already different to start off with.

9. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How can they be rewriting that which was never really written before?

10. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Enterprise E still did, prior to 2233. In this new Timeline, which splits off as an Alternate Reality stardate 2233.04, the Enterprise E might still be built, and the Enterprise D still might encounter the Borg, but this is not predictable either way.

If you remember the Multiverse concept, it is clear that both timelines (realities) happened, the "Prime" reality (all the Star Trek thru to Nemesis), as well as the JJ-Abrams Alternate Reality created by the Narada appearing 2233.04.

11. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since Star Trek Canon is what was on screen, certainly until Nemesis closing credits, we have had no backstory to the Gorn at all beyond Arena and one gorn in mirror-universe Enterprise.

Therefore, there is no breach of established fact by the game regarding the nature and backstory of the Gorn.

12. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

There are a bunch of explanations we don't really need tbh, everything happened and then it branched with Nero's interference. Parallels indicates its quite possible that there will be an Enterprise-D in the JJ timeline with Picard as Captain even if events are different.

13. aeriolewinters

aeriolewinters Lieutenant Red Shirt

Considering that JJ Abrams' concept of 'Destiny' is pretty much in play the whole time in his version of Trek. I would think that the TNG crew will be pretty much the same.

I'd love for JJ to actually get Tom Hardy as Picard, I'd love for that little wink to happen.

14. DarthTom

My bet is Chris Pine won't wanna give up the role of Kirk until someone takes it out of his cold dead hands.

And dependent upon on how this film fares, I'm also guessing that Spock, Kirk and company will be around for sometime.

No Picard IMO for the forseeable future.

15. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

One of the things that confuses me is if a new time line is created when significant events occur, then why didn't The Enterprise E, assisting with First Contact, also creat an alternate timeline??

I uunderstand the theory behind what the writters of Trek 09 were doing, the problem is that is the first time they show this type of time travel and to me it seem rather late in the game to re-write the rules.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It still does. But it travels back from (and returns to) the Prime branch of the post-2233 future, not the alternate one.
    Forgive the awful quality of this pic, but this is SciFiNow magazine's diagram:
    [​IMG]

Here's the official one:
    [​IMG]
    They're either unaware of the new reality or don't care.

17. DarthTom

^^^

Thanks for the graphic. Makes more sense now. So Picard and crew still visited the past, the Borg still showed up etc. in their own universe which still impacted the alternative universe up until 2233.

Question then: In Trek IV when they time travelled back to Frisco that also created a new universe, correct? In an alternate reality the earth's ocean's presuambly get vaprozied?

18. DarthTom

No - because then there would be two separate and distinct Temporal enforement groups and I think they'd both be aware of each other's existence?

19. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would love to see what JJ does with the Borg. I think it could be really great!

20. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Depending on how XI ends, it might be the next "logical" step...