TWOK on Bluray FX question

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by 22 Stars, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

No, but Shatner's toupee is.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I had to put in the blu-ray to see if it was true, and you're right. I had never noticed it! I mean, I can still easily enjoy the movie, but I was surprised to find that whole section went unnoticed by me. The rest of the film does look terrific, so I can let this slide because I just enjoy the whole movie. Well, that, and I gave away my DVDs a long time ago. :lol:

3. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some comparison shots here:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews45/star_trek_motion_picture_trilogy_blu-ray.htm

I can't speak to the fx shots, but the live action screenshots show a much more realistic and pleasing color palette to my eye. Look at Spock's jacket, for example, in the Engineering shot. The blu ray reveals the accurate slightly marroon shade of the uniforms. By comparison, the DVD looks like a tv with the color cranked up. And the bridge shot, the bridge walls are restored to a proper neutral grey balanceas well.

4. Ryann866

Ryann866 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Isn't there something going on with digital scrubbing or DNR on these blu-rays? Especially Trek III & IV. The picture seems really off, like it was sliced out and pasted on top. I noticed this when I played them too, but it's clear in these photos.

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They used old 1080i transfers that had been designed to be downrezzed for DVD or shown on HDTV. Part of creating those transfers probably involved scrubbing the detail.

Most people think that, if they took the time and resources to do new 1080p transfers from the masters, they would've looked much better on BD. I agree, but I still think the BDs looked much better than the DVDs, and I enjoy them.

Doug

6. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regarding the bluer space scenes, it now looks very cold in space, a good place for revenge.

7. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Those photos look INCREDIBLE. Those alone convinced me to get the Blu-ray discs. The DVD pics look awful incomparison.

8. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Still both space shots look wrong, the first one has a mighty red shift and the blu-ray one has a strong blue shit aswel

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Hm. In the final shot from TVH, when the crew is on their way to the soon-to-be-revealed Enterprise A, Captain Kirk is still wearing admiral's piping on his tunic.

Never noticed that before.

10. SMC

SMC Lieutenant Red Shirt

The blu ray format does tend to represent colour more accurately than either DVD or video tape and to me the Wrath of Khan blu ray has perfectly balanced colour reproduction and looks much closer to a 35mm print of TWOK I saw several years ago than any previous home video release.

For some reason there's often a distinct red push on DVD and TWOK suffered from this more than most - to my eyes looked far too warm on the DVD releases. The blu ray reminded me just what a colourful film this really is.

11. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

The Blu is much more closer to the film print I saw a couple of years ago.

12. SMC

SMC Lieutenant Red Shirt

13. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm with you. I got my set and watched all the films and this went totally by my eyes. I still enjoyed the film very much so and these changes didn't bother me at all. I agree that the warmer hues look much better though.

14. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Fun to revisit this thread. I think for those who seem to remember the cooler color temps, look at all the printed promo material from the time. It all shows Regula as brown, not grey. I believe the intent of the f/x crew was to depict it as brown.

15. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would love to see completely new masters of all the movies, including TWOK, removing all dirt, grime, grain, etc., and taking care of any and all matte lines, enhancing the FX with CG where necessary to correct errors or simply to enhance the scene to the director's original intent. Give us the Director's Edition of TMP on Blu Ray!

16. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

For me, the new colour timing on TWOK is far more naturalistic and film like than any of the previous home video releases. Probably, neither are correct with reference to the original release, but I do feel the BD is far closer (skin tones particularly) than the strong red push on all previous efforts.

Yes the BD's all have some level of DNR applied, but believe me, there is no better way to view (or listen to) these films at home currently. Try the DVD's out on a very large display! :eek:

17. 22 Stars

I agree about TMP Director's Edition. I was JUST watching it on DVD yesterday, while playing the podcast only available from Trek.com Very enjoyable and informative, but the DVD on my 1080p projector just doesn't hold up.

I love that they specifically say on this bonus commentary that they are ready to move forward on an HD version as soon as Paramount gives them the OK and money.... and that STILL hasn't happened yet :(

18. 22 Stars

I have no qualms with the skin tones and live action stuff in the bluray ST II. But the FX shots are just wrong, plain and simple. I would sooner watch it in HD from a cable tv source than watch the bluray.

19. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Each to their own, 22! :techman:. For me, the BD is technically an appreciable improvement all round. And - it's the far superior theatrical cut to boot.

20. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I do Color Correction for a living.....this is just wrong.

This is happening a lot....anyone read about "The French Connection" debacle?

The director supervised the new transfer and had all the colors wacked out and thats how he wanted it. for shame!

There are a lot of folks making these final decisions (don't blame the colorist first...) that have no business doing so.