USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by los2188, Nov 29, 2012.

1. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Great, on the last steps of her long journey, and they run her aground.

3. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was glad to see Enterprise make it home safely from the Persian Gulf. I had read some rumors that the Obama administration wanted to use it as bait for the Iranians to shoot missiles at. Just to start another war. They figured Enterprise warranted a heroic death and it was just too expensive to turn it into a museum or scrap it. I guess it was easier to sacrifice an ambassador and some staff in Libya instead.
    It really turns my stomach that Enterprise is being retired early without a replacement ready. All of those crew now get to head for the unemployment line.

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

These accusations are absurd and offensive -- and have nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand. Your dislike of the President need not bleed into every conversation.

5. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

It's cool that the Shat will attand the ceremony.......let's hope he has more luck with this Enterprises inactivation ceremony than he did in Generation Enterprises launch ceremony. lol

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

wow thats some incredible anti-obama bullshit to dump in this thread, captain rob.

therefore i shall counteract that random statement of non-fact with this; george w bush wanted to used the spaceshuttle enterprise to build a pedophile colony on the moon for all his pedophile friends.

on topic: they should get walter koening to sneak around the ship a la st4, whispering 'wessels' to passers by

7. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

The bad thing is the Nexus comes through that area at that time. Look out Kirk.:guffaw:

8. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

And even worse, nothing gets made inactive till Tuesday.:eek::lol:

9. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SecNav just announced that CVN-80 will be named Enterprise. I predicted some time earlier that the name would not be re-used on a CVN, I am happy to say I was wrong!

Justin

10. Captain Rob

Do you have link for that announcement? I can't find anything right off. I will be very happy if it's true.
    Is anyone worried about the next carrier being named after President Ford? I hope that it doesn't accidentally run into anything on the way to it's commisioning ceremony.
    I sincerely apologize to anyone that I may have offended with my previous post. It just really irritates me that with all of the shiploads of money that have been overspent by the government over the last few years. That a little of it couldn't have been used to properly fund NASA and to convert Enterprise into a museum ship. And I'm still ticked that the Johnson Space Center in Houston only got a mock-up of a space shuttle.

Nevermind. I found the video of the SecNav's announcement today. Absolutely fantastic! CVN-80!

Just had to add this:
    The Admiral that's Chief of Naval Operations and led the ceremony today, made a Star Trek joke during his speech.
    He mentioned that if the Enterprise was to stay in service much longer that it might get outfitted with lasers. And might someday be firing photon torpedoes.
    What the F?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  11. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

wow. I think someone needs to create a coo coo clock emoticon for this "rumor". Even Glenn Beck thinks this "rumor" is nutty and embarrassing.

To decommission a nuclear vessel, they apparently have to rip huge holes in the hull to properly remove and dispose of the nuclear reactor and other related components, making Enterprise practically unsuitable for conversion to a museum. I love Trek and the Navy, but the money is better spent elsewhere.

12. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, the line about using Enterprise as bait was bad enough, but this line about "sacrificing" our ambassador is offensive and just plain stupid.

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Children, can you keep politics off of one freaking thread?

14. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's an article about CVN-80 being named Enterprise:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/brea...inactivation-breaking-20121201,0,764621.story

Every Trek fan will be happy for this! We've had the old Enterprise in service for the entirety of the franchise history until now; it would be tragic not to have a ship named Enterprise around - or at least planned to be around.

Now, while the CVN-80 Enterprise won't be commissioned until 2025-2027, keep in mind that the hull is designed to be in service for a whopping 50 years MINIMUM - for comparison, the previous Enterprise was designed for 25 years and more than doubled it. Our next Enterprise will be with us for a good long time!

Mark

15. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, by that reckoning its successor will be the NX-01 ;).

PS you do realise all those wall displays of previous Enterprises in Star Trek are now no longer canon :devil:.

16. Captain Rob

The WW2 era CV-6 was never included in those displays. And it was the one real Enterprise that should have been.
    As for longevity of aircraft carriers. There's an aircraft carrier on display in Corpus Christie called the USS Lexington. It's one of the first WW2 era Essex class built and was launched in 1942. It was decommissioned in 1993. Making it also 51 years old at it's decommisioning. It's the sister of the Intrepid in New York City, the Hornet in Oakland, and the Yorktown in South Carolina.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

None of those displays have ever featured all Enterprises. Obviously they're all missing the NX-01. The one in TMP is the only one to feature the ringship, and they've only ever featured one aircraft carrier, despite the fact that there have already been two in the US Navy (CVN-80 will be the third). Hell, the one in the Enterprise D's briefing room left out the 19th century Enterprise, only had one aircraft carrier, and featured the wrong designs for the Enterprises B and C.

The canonical value of those displays has not been threatened at all.

18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I guess you didn't see Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

EDIT: Link doesn't want to work.
    Go to Memory Alpha. Type CV-6 into their search.
    Article will appear in list as USS Enterprise (CV-6).

Thanks to The Wormhole for the holler.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Memory Alpha does not yet have an article with this name."

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Thanks for the warning, I failed to test it. Urls look the same to me so don't know what happened. I modified the post.

I deserve Zek's "You failed. MISERABLY!" for that.
    Maybe he should be a custom emoticon here.