Caledfwlch Class.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DRACO, Nov 15, 2011.

1. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

[​IMG]

This is basically an "All Good Things" Sovereign-based what-if of a ship.

We know that that the Galaxy, though it didn't meet he requirements of the Federation... was nowhere close to retirement. We also know it twenty years or so so develop the Galaxy. There aren't many sovereigns that we know of, likely because of the resources involved could be put toward multiple other ships.

From that perspective it is unlikely that we are going to see groundbreaking technical advancements implemented into new classes anytime soon.

That said, if the Romulans build Scimitar like ships or the Klingons build more Neighvar(sp) class ships (which they could probably easily do as they don't implement as many classes and much of their fleet isn't new so they have less overhead) then this could pose a threat. Also, the Federation may have beat the Borg time and again but- two cubes - yes I went there.

Basically I figured there was a need more the following tactical advancements.

• More space for torpedoes - obviously the worry that there were too many launchers was justified.
    • More Phasers - to provide enough energy output that your only option isn't to ram the other ship.
    • Phaser Cannon- See point above.

So I could have made this thing twice as big as the Sovy but I decided not to. (Maybe I should make it a tad bigger?) There should be more room for torpedoes even if I make the Turret a dual launcher (puts more emphasis on the cannon :) ).

As for the Phaser the length of the ship makes room for +1 underside phaser. The ventral and dorsal arrays are to be doubled. I thought about dividing them up into smaller arrays but I didn't want to decrease beam output. The arrays on the back part of the saucer would be doubled as well. It may seem like a bit much but I want to add an extra one on each side of the pylon so the aft isn't so bad by comparison... don't forget that originally there were non as that was a blind spot.

I hope the length of the ship doesn't cause an issue in dorsal and starboard coverage. I've never seen a phaser array to either side of the star-drive section so I didn't add any. Any reason for this? I know the Akira class as a torpedoe tube on either side of the saucer?

Anyway that comes to:
    • 1x Dual turret (I'm think added length may mean 6 or 8 (or possibly 10 max per launcher though slower for 8 or 10)
    • x torp tubes (however many the Sovy has?)
    • 25x phaser arrays (the Sov has 16, so +1 ventral saucer, +1 dorsal saucer, +2 rear dorsal saucer, +1 stardrive and +1 on both sides of pylons (+4)
    • 1x Phaser Cannon.

Somewhat Uber yes, but still within the realm of possibility, especially if in an alternate timeline.

I also want to increase the beam of the ship so it looks more imposing aesthetically. At fist I wanted the beam to match that of the Galaxy class and to do so meant the dimensions of the Sovy had to be doubled (four times internal mass btw) and that would have meant allot of size tweaking. Thats what I meant when I said I almost made it twice as big.

I do however want the saucer section to angle in a little more, taking advantage of the Sovy's elipitcal saucer which would otherwise be even more stretched out now.

I also was thinking about a secondary deflector. (I decided not to make the saucer warp capable as the configuration didn't seem safe and a Prometheus-like setup would be very high maintenance. I may smooth out the dorsal more as I intended to account account for possible future slipstream.

2. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

This just looks like a stretched out Sovereign with it's nacelles rotated 90 degrees.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Doubling the external dimensions linearly means the internal volume would be multiplied by eight, not four.

Yeah, I'd like to see something more than a cut-and-paste Sovvie where all that's really different is having essentially an extra warp nacelle glued to the bottom of the original nacelles. Even with cut-and-paste you can do more than this. But I don't mean to berate, I'm sure this is just the very beginning. I await further, more interesting developments of this idea as you flesh it out.

--Alex

P.S. I won't even go into how tactically ineffective such an overgrown monster would be. After all, we're all just here to have fun with it. --AM

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

A ship twice the size of the sovereign wouldn't look like just a scaled up copy. Design something unique.

5. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

also that name is stupid.

6. sojourner

Not if you know what it is.

7. Scott1768

Scott1768 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Heh, whadya expect from Justin Beiber? :guffaw:

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i'd guess it's meant to be 'hardspace'. although i would have used 'gofod' for space in that context. 'fwlch' is more like a gap in something.

yeah i'm welsh.

and i still think it sounds terrible.

9. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm curious where this idea came from that the Galaxy-class wasn't quite good enough.

I won't even go into questioning why Starfleet would bother to build a monstrosity such as this. It just seems incredibly backwards and wasteful to me.

10. sojourner

Think he was going for the welsh name for Excalibur.

11. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

no i don't. welsh mythology is fucking tedious. it's like norse stuff with out all the interesting mad gods.

i was just guessing what it meant from the modern meaning