Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that will happen eventually (they can't have flashbacks for too many seasons. A la Lost they'll have to do something besides flashbacks) though I'd bet that they'll make it a bit harder to crossover than Fringe did.

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why do they need a bridge? Why not set up a ferry schedule?

Pun not intended, but isn't it cute anyhow?:lol:

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Tonight's episode ... Robert Carlyle is on fire with his lines and their delivery!

4. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, Emma's ringtone = Star Wars theme! LOL! Nice touch.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That was cute, although it wasn't Emma's ringtone. That was the cell phone belonging to "Greg Mandel," the accident victim.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I missed the episode due to a power outage, but there's one more showing tonight so I'll record that.

7. stj

Gregory Itzin was terrible. Nor was poor Gerhardt brought to life at all, much less returned to life. It was distracting I've already forgotten what happened to them.

More importantly, I'm a little confused. I thought Emma Swan could tell when people were telling the truth. Now it appears she doesn't even have the normal ability to spot a liar.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Her whole "Living Lie Detector" was always more just her trying to psych out people rather than a real skill she had.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

This whole episode was just "meh". Didn't thrill me.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish a number of fans would get that. I keep reading comments with people bitching about how dumb Emma is because she can't always tell when people are lying. It's fairly obvious that her lie detector powers aren't real. Or at least they don't work consistently.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She is no Agent Jinx.

12. stj

Emma's suppposed ability to detect a lie was what led her to stay in Storybrooke after returning Henry. She asked Regina if she loved Henry and got a negative. That's why it was in one sense a surprise when Regina tried to reform for Henry. Of course, later on her behavior also didn't make any sense if she didn't really care, but there you are. Villains rarely need to make sense. But the heroes do, and Emma staying to save Henry from "mother" who doesn't love him is a powerful motive for heroism. On the other hand, Emma kidding herself because she just deep down already wants to get into a custody dispute she would lose? Not so much. This was hugely important to the entire first season.

Also, to clarify about the last episode: Anybody should have been able to tell that the new guy was lying! Unless this was really the ninth dwarf, Twitchy.

13. Greg Cox

Really? My girlfriend and I both thought it was a particularly strong ep that we wanted to watch over again. Robert Carlyle was in fine form, both as Gold and Rumple. The visit to b/w Gothic Horror Land was a treat, and it was pretty eventful as well.

Just off the top of my head: Hook was captured, Belle broke Chip, Regina was reunited with her mother, the outside world threatens to discover Storybrooke, Rumple drafted Emma to help him find Baelfire, there were hints of a love connection between Ruby and Dr. Whale, some new mysteries were introduced (Who is "Her"?), and we got the untold story of Dr. Frankenstein . . . .

Lots of fun dialogue, too:

"You framed me for the cricket."

"I ate my boyfriend."

"We were cursed! Moving on . . ."

"Good thing I don't give a damn."

"Frankenstein isn't even a fairy tale!"

"Belle? Who is Belle?"

14. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the first season to work, Emma's 'lie detector' ability has to be real and functional. But it seems somewhat unreliable now. Maybe it was a magical ability that Emma had but was never understood, and functioned somewhat on instinct. And now that Gold has brought magic into this world, it's messed up and she has to actually learn how to use it now.

That is just my stupid theory, and the actual reason why it didn't work is because the writer needed it to not work for his story to work.

15. Greg Cox

I'm looking forward to Emma and Gold going on a road trip together. That should be amusing!

Think they'll take her cute little yellow Bug?

16. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

And my favourite:

"I'm going to tell Emma, Henry and the two idiots." :lol:

I thought it was very sweet when Rumplestiltskin tried to kiss Belle to break her curse.

I liked that episode, it packed a lot in. Seeing as Emma is going along for the ride do we all think it's almost certain that her ex is going to be Bae?

17. Greg Cox

Yeah, I laughed out loud at that one, too.

And I admit I was suckered by Cora-as-Henry, although "Henry" did strike me as being oddly affectionate toward his "mom" . . . .

18. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^I was too. I thought Cora was going to capture him.

I also thought it's very strange to have someone on your phone as 'Her' so I was beginning to think that perhaps the stranger didn't necessarily come to Storybrooke by chance, but the last conversation he had seemed to suggest he did.

19. Greg Cox

And why did they make a point of establishing that the intruder was from Pennsylvania--which is nowhere near Maine. Usually, this show talks about people coming and going from Boston, which seems to be the nearest big city.

(Never mind that the entire state of New Hampshire lies between Maine and Massachussets!)

20. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh, that's only about 20 miles, Boss. NH only dips its toe into the Atlantic ocean. ;)

I was surprised by Cora smooching Mr. Gold. :wtf: