Visitor: Deep Space Nine Has Staying Power

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by TrekToday, Oct 17, 2012.

1. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

If there is one "regret" if it were, then it's that DS9 was never a pop culture phenomenon as TNG was. IMO, both were of equal quality.

2. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Voyager had the best potential.

But Trek's recent problems are production-based. TNG and DS9 had excellent all-round production (casting, character development, plot development, etc.) Voyager's was poor by comparison (Harry being an Ensign for 7 years as an example).

In DS9's case, TNG probably had some novelty value in that it was the first Trek show on for a while. And in fairness, the concept of DS9 probably turned people off.

3. pimp

pimp Commander Red Shirt

As I recall DS9 was not very popular during it's original run. But shows like Voyager which overlapped with DS9 did far better in ratings/viewers. Only now years later do I see people taking a big interest in DS9, in original airtime it wasn't that big (but am I wrong on this???) which is sad really ;(

anyways maybe this is one fo the reasons why DS9 did not get a movie done, just no money in it for good old Hollywood.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Nah, once TNG ended Trek ratings decreased every year, so the later the Series started, the lower the ratings went.
    So TNG the best ratings
    DS9 2nd best
    Voyager 3rd
    Enterprise 4th

5. Utopianvista

Utopianvista Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Voyager was never mainstream!

DS9's problems were a crowded syndication market and not being the focus of Paramount. You had movies and Paramount had a network. DS9 was just sort of there doing it's own thing.

They shouldn't have ended TNG at 7 seasons. It's was stupid to kill the cash cow and try to launch a network with another unproven Star Trek show. All it did was hurt Trek in the long run. TNG should've been a 10 year show. TNG season 7 is horrible because all of the focus was shifting towards prepping for the movie, prepping for the network launch of UPN/Voyager and having DS9 on as well. Trek never recovered from ending TNG early.

6. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

nope. Again, I don't know where this myth got started, but Voyager did NOT do better than DS9 in ratings. Does the fact that VOY was a network show really make that much of a difference in perceptions? I'm just curious as to where the myth of Voyager as so much more popular than DS9 came from when the actual numbers don't back it up.