Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TK421, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are a few folks here who might enjoy this. I'm on the road presently with my wife and three year old. We were two hours into our trip and another three away from our destination when I turned to my boy and quietly told him to ask, "Are we there yet?" When she heard him repeat the question, she glared at me and said, "Oh no, you did not teach him that!" She didn't think it was funny at all.

Nor did I by the tenth time he asked. Children, it seems, have an instinctive understanding of how to misuse that question.

Anyway, it's been a few weeks. Are we there yet, Dennis?

2. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I'm sure I'll review it eventually. Certainly not before the entire first film is released. I love the Starship Farragut episodes which have already been released, though. I picked their first episode as a "Quick Pick Treasure" which are films I recommend you show to friends who like Trek but haven't yet discovered the world of fan films.

To say I've been surprised at the sheer volume of fan films would be a huge understatement. I think I've found as many sources of fan films in German alone as I thought there were total when I started the website.

The Definative BBS, and this board generally, has been a great source, although I've found many films that aren't mentioned here. The Definitive BBS is wrong about Star Trek:Unity UK. They list it as not available. The film series is on You Tube, and I have links to it at least through Episode 18, which is as far as I've watched. There is no useful index to the series except the one I'm creating. Mine permits you to call up the next episode as you watch. The early episodes automatically call up the next show, but the later ones don't. I'm giving priority to reviewing films series like Star Trek:Unity (UK) which are not easy to find, over series which are better organized and easier to find and better known like Starship Farragut.

I have found Star Trek:Unity(UK) to be, by far, the most entertaining of the teen created series. Unfortunately, the video and audio quality of the early episodes is poor, and I could not make out large portions of the dialogue. I deducted a lot of points for this, and also for having a lot of non-Trek stuff. While Luke Sutton argues (by e-mail, I don't know him and just wrote to him to get a few facts about his series to include in my write-up) that there was a Stargate-like device found in an alien civilization on Trek, (True!) the Federation was not able to adopt it, and what he uses is clearly film and games from the TV series, Stargate. He also uses a lot of Star Wars stuff. Even Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure gets a hello without attribution. I have never watched Dr. Who, but I suspect the source of many other things on the show. However, at the ripe old age of 18, this kid is a master of plot and editing, placing him head and shoulders above the other teen productions I've seen so far. But there is just so much you can do when your filming budget is essentially zero.

When I watch this show it pulls me back to bedtime stories when I was a small child, even though I'm easily old enough to be Luke Sutton's mother. I feel like I am saying to him, "PLEASE, Luke, tell me a STORY!!" and he does. I feel very indulged. But the technical weakness and the mix of non-Trek elements means it doesn't rate highly using my rating system, which gives and takes specific amounts based on set criteria.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Isn't the topic here EXETER?

4. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Indeed it is! I'm guessing Sept or Oct will be when we finally see the grand conclusion of The Tressaurian Intersection.

Of course, I'm a nobody, just an outsider, but after all the posts I've read and people I've contacted about Exeter, the impression I get is that we might just see it in Sept maybe Oct.

If anyone has better info and a better guess, please speak up!

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could be. I'm not predicting these things any more.

I spoke to Jimm Johnson last Thursday. Work is ongoing, and he told me something about a practical effect that he's working to integrate with the CG that sounded quite cool. You have to remember that Exeter basically started with Jimm's interest in duplicating "old-fashioned" movie tricks like half-silvered mirrors for laser effects and swirly-stuff-in-a-blender for transporter beams. ;)

6. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Did you tell Jimm about the "alka-seltzer trick"?

7. Spam

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2009
  8. Admiral Buzzkill

Didn't think to mention it to him - he probably has read about it. In any event all the transporter work is done - this new gimmick of his is for an odd spatial effect that the ship encounters. And further this deponent sayeth not.

9. CaptainKen

Thanks, Dennis. I'm very happy to see your reply. As I've said before, YOU are basically THE reason that I continue to have HOPE for Exeter. Without communication, it's next to impossible to maintain hope. Just knowing that you talked with Jimm last Thu and that he's working on it is GREAT NEWS. Was that the LAST effect he's working on? ;)

I guess when you talk with Jimm, there's no point in asking the "When" question, hey? It sure would be nice if the Exeter website could say "Act IV Coming Soon" -- just so fans could note the change and know that something is still happening. BUT then again, that little change would probably delay the fx-work so don't mention it!

It seemed to me that Jimm is committed to finishing it THIS year. And some reports you've made make it sound like it's pretty darn close now. But I figured, hey it's summer and time for fun. So maybe after some more work sessions in Aug and esp Sept, the final production will be ready for Sept or Oct. I'm only guessing, and I don't even have half the info/insight that you have, but, well, Idk, I just really wanna see it! If you possible could pass this on to Jimm, or email it to him, or something, I'd like him to read this whole post, or at least the following sentence:

Starship Exeter, especially The Tressaurian Intersection, is the MOST TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL TREK out there and it will be awesome to finally see the whole episode of The Tressaurian Intersection.

I am just totally gripped by the TTI episode, teetering on the edge of my chair, waiting for more. That episode really gelled. The character dynamics were perfect! I know there's been criticism in some of the forums about things like Captain Garrovick's interaction with Ensign Richards, but I think they're wrong... if they go back to TOS they would see how TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL TREK this actually was. The character dynamics and tensions, the plot development, the effects were all SPOT ON to TOS!
    [​IMG]

I wish there was a way that Jimm could find to make this happen more quickly -- more help -- more money -- more whatever it takes.... because I'll be sad if Exeter ends. After 12 years of effort, it would be great if he/they could find some way to produce another episode on a one-year timetable. If fans knew that was a goal, I bet many of us could rally around Jimm and help to make it happen. I can't be the only fan out there who sees that Exeter is the MOST TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL TREK out there, can I?

10. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm glad you think so. That's what we're aimin' for.

I can't and wouldn't speak for Jimm or anyone else, but getting into a groove to work on this I came to think of it as a Star Trek spinoff that was produced around 1970. ;)

11. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

It sure has the look of it. I heart Exeter and can't wait for the final installment.

12. Nomad V

Nomad V Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anybody remember Chilly Billy Cardill on Channel 11 - WIIC Pittsburgh?

13. CaptainKen

Maybe when TTI is all wrapped up, you guys could screen a special TTI: A Night in 1970 edition! :lol:

14. Admiral Buzzkill

I don't know that we'd have to change anything. ;)

If someone wanted to collect some of those cool old 1960s commercials off of YouTube and insert them between our act breaks I think that would be a kick. Just make sure that one of them is a Marlboro ad with that "Magnificient Seven" theme.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8250a00140

http://www.in.com/videos/watchvideo...rettes-filter-flavor-pack-or-box-2277635.html

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  15. CaptainKen

It seems like we could have a lot of fun with this special TTI: A Night in 1970 edition!

16. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh great ... so in addition to poking Paramount's lawyers with a stick, you're thinking of getting all those old trademark owners in on the action and pile the anti-smoking activists on top?

This will be fun.

17. darkwing_duck1

I gotta second CaptainKen's remarks.

On the subject of scheduling, I think we're all getting a little spoiled by the seemingly effortless way NV/P2 seems to belt out eps.

However, NV/P2 has significant advantages in terms of being more of a "semi-pro" production. More of it's production team have significant credentials in moviemaking. It even has a special effects SCHOOL doing it's opticals.

"Starship: Exeter" is the "purer" fan production, but every bit as good in results overall.

18. Maurice

Actually, I don't think that's entirely accurate. I think it's that Jimm wants to have it done his way and only when he's ready. It's not like a lack of potential manpower or professionalism of talent or anything.

19. darkwing_duck1

I'm not belittling the time or effort put in by the Exeter crew. Far from it.

I'm just pointing out the tremendous advantage NV/P2 has in having so many people with real industry credentials and experience working on it. They also have a big advantage in resources, particularly in the FX department having have NEO to do their CG work.

Exeter is being done in homes and garages by people who are learning as they go, and don't have the advantage of deep pockets backers (resources, not necessarily cash) to help them along.

It makes Exeter's end result all the more impressive.

20. Maurice

I still think that overstates the case. "Tressaurian" was not made in people's homes and garages. The primary shoot was on a stage at a studio: Hell, there's even a crane shot. The things happening at home is the same stuff that typically happens on other fan films at homes or home offices: post production, like editing and VFX. And let's remember that this was filmed FIVE YEARS ago, and even Phase II/NV wasn't then what it is now.

I'm not sure who you mean by "They also have a big advantage in resources, particularly in the FX department having have NEO to do their CG work." It sounds like you mean Phase II, but that's confusing because NEO f/x is doing work for Exeter in addition to other fan productions, as has been discussed before.

My point remains that the main reasons for the time it's taken for this to be completed lay primarily at the feet of the producer, who made the post-production decisions he made for the reasons he made them. He wants it finished a particular way, even when there may have been other ways to complete it.