POLL: The 'After Earth' plot twist

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Mar 14, 2013.

?

What do you think the 'After Earth' plot twist will be?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2013.
  1. The whole thing is a VR combat training simulator

10.0%
  2. It's actually Earth of the distant past, and Kitai is 'Adam'

45.0%
  3. Cypher died in the crash and it's actually Kitai hallucinating him

15.0%
  4. There is no plot twist of any kind

30.0%
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since After Earth is a M. Night Shyamalan film (plus it has characters with names like "Cypher Raige" which sounds rather fake to me), it's very likely there will be a final plot twist. What do you think it will be?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually this is not "an M. Night Shyamalan film" in the sense you mean, because this time he's not the main writer or the one who conceived the project. The original script was by Gary Whitta, a video-game writer/designer who also wrote the screenplay for The Book of Eli. Shyamalan did a rewrite, followed by a polish by Stephen Gaghan (Traffic, Syriana).

And we know it's not a simulation or a dream, because the film is one part of a multimedia franchise whose backstory "bible" was developed by comics/novel authors Peter David, Bob Greenberger, and Michael Jan Friedman. They didn't create the concept, but they were brought in to build the universe based on the movie's ideas, and the film script was rewritten on the basis of their bible. The three of them are doing a number of tie-ins that expand the film's universe, including several e-books and a prequel comic that are already available, and a novel and in-universe "survival guide" coming out soon (as well as a novelization by PAD).

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The twist will be that it's a so-so movie at best, but still better than anything else that Night has directed for ten years. :)

5. Christopher

I'm hopeful about this one. My only problems with Shyamalan's work are with his writing; he can be a superb director (though he is capable of being too self-indulgent). Combine his directing with someone else's script (and a producer strong enough to rein him in) and you could really have something. And the final(ish) draft of this script is by the guy who did Traffic and Syriana, which strikes me as reason for optimism.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree.

7. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

The twist will be that you thought you were watching Oblivion.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, Oblivion looks interesting.

After Earth looks like Planet Earth, but boring.

9. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

The twist is you won't be able to get your money back.

10. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nova Prime is actually the real Earth, and the planet they think of as "Earth" is actually a completely alien world.

11. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

And then they realize that they were Cylons all along.

12. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The twist is that the planet is Earth after the events of The Happening. Will Smith and his kid will run from the wind for 1.5 hours.

13. Christopher

I really, really hope that Shyamalan's reputation doesn't unfairly doom this film. The reactions in this thread don't give me a lot of confidence, though.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

I thought about that, but decided it would be too pathetic.

And if this tale of an 'extended universe' really is true - and if it's CANON ;) - then it ties the whole thing to our own history, since IIRC it features the present day ancestors of the Raige family.

Still, it could be a time loop! Meaning: Kitai and Cypher are swept back in time and crash on prehistoric Earth. I have a theory like that about BSG - both versions.

Also, I think it would be totally hilarious if the Earths of After Earth and Oblivion turn out to be the same. :lol:

15. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The twist is that it is actually a Scientology training camp - Xenu appears at the end.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Is Will Smith into that scientology crap? I had no idea. :sigh:

17. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a good movie but I didn't like Traffic, Syriana on the other had is one of my favourite movies so I agree, this gives me hope.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

So I take it that all of this world-building extended stuff won't be necessary to actually understand what's going on in the film itself?

Or at least to decipher the weird accents? :lol:

19. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does M. Night really do twists in every movie, though? Regardless of him not writing it, I don't remember a twist in Signs (that was just all of the diverging events coming together for a moment), The Happening, Lady in the Water, The Last Airbender...

It's a shame he set the bar so high simply by including an incredible twist in Sixth Sense (not even his first movie) and then had such a mediocre one at the end of The Village (though I liked the earlier twist involving the final creature from the forest) that people can only peg him as a certain type of story teller based on less than half of his output.

20. Christopher

Well, almost. He did two consecutive movies with strong twist endings, The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. It was that repetition that created the myth that "all Shyamalan films have twist endings," even though you're quite correct that it's not really true.