How long until TNG: Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Matt, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Matt

Matt Commodore Commodore

With the 20th anniversary of Star Trek The Next Generation at hand, and the original series being remastered at this very moment with many episodes completed, I'm wondering if as soon as they complete the TOS remastering if they'll jump right on TNG?

The effects in TNG are still good enough for our era. Much of what we saw, like with TOS, was state of the art at the time, but converting TNG to 1080P HDTV suitable video might be a task.

Does anyone recall what TNG was shot on? Was it film, or tape? I remember at least all the effects were done via tape, which means that unfortunately those shots can't have much more detail to pull out of them in an upconversion.

The original Enterprise-D model was magestic to look at on TV. Tons of detail, yet sleek and realistic - Showing it's grace and size at the same time... The second model was a horse of a different color. It was beautiful, but the smaller scale and amount of sharp detail they added to it was very different than the original D.

The reason they scaled it smaller, to my knowledge, was so they could film more dramatic angles, because of the size and weight of the original made certain shots impossible. (I think.)

Anyway, with a digital model, they could duplicate to perfection the original Enterprise-D model, AND have all the detail that was lost on standard television revived via 1080P HDTV... The best of both worlds, pardon my pun. Smooth AND detailed.

OKAY, now onto the effects and shots of TNG...

Many ship shots appear with a glowing halo around the ships. I don't know if this was a problem with keying, or if it was a desired effect. It's very prominent in shots of the Romulan Warbird.

[​IMG]

Because of some problem with either scaling or compositing, or perhaps some effects they added to it in post, all the ships appeared blurred and slightly glowing.

Also, the lighting is incorrect, coming from the wrong side.

TNG had more effects shots than TOS, so each episode of TNG would easily take twice as long and twice as much money to update.

There are MANY reused shots in TNG, however. For example, there are two well known shots of the Enterprise at warp. One shot is a closeup of the side of the Enterprise D, where you see the 'neck' while the ship is at warp.

Even the purists do have to admit that the Enterprise-D by Gabriel Köerner as it appears in Star Trek Enterprise's finale looks marvelous in comparison to the studio model, just because of the way the lights and shadows hit it, and the camera angles you can easily achieve with CG.

Anyway, with the success and wide appreciation of the TOS remastering, I think a TNG remastering is on the way. Hopefully the series was shot on film, so they can re-scan the film and convert it to HDTV soon.

2. Mike Have-Not

Mike Have-Not Captain Captain

SF Bay Area, North American Continent, Earth, Sol
    How long until another post about this topic? :p

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, just make sure the saucer's impusle engines aren't on. Oh, and you don't try doing a fancy camera move beyond the furtherst point in the model, making it appear the ship is flying in a snow storm. ;)

I think an upconversion of TNGs effects could work, they're certainly working over on TOS, and since the original effects are, indeed, on videotape (I actually think they were filmed but then finished on tape and that what was used for the final cut) it'll certainly need the upconversion to survive in an HD world.

But the question you have to ask is: Is it worth it to the studio?

TOS is a classic in its own right which is why it got the upconversion people still watch it since it is a classic. If the same can be said for TNG then it can get the upconversion. But you have to make it worth it to the stations to buy it and air it for it to be worth it to the studio to do it. Which means, since TNG remains the second most popular series, it would be unlikely DS9 and Voager would ever get an upconversion becuase their popularity with any networks isn't as great as TOS' and TNG's.

4. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seeing TNG remastered would be even more exciting to me than TOS remastered. Awesome show, and those fx, once redone with CG, would be completely awesome. Can't wait.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

How long until Enterprise remastered?

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Uh...-5.5 years?

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Enterprise was already done in HD so it won't get "remastered" until some new TV-watching medium comes out that renders viewing it unpleseant in the new format without updating.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

He was being facetious, if I'm not mistaken.

9. DizzyMan

DizzyMan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have to say, I so desperately want TNG in high def.

But regarding the aspect ratio (mentioned in an older thread here), does anyone know what aspect ratio it was filmed in? It would seem strange for them to film it in a wider ratio than standard (1.33:1), when they knew it was only going to end up on TV. I mean, 33mm film is 1.37:1 aspect ratio (ie pretty much the standard shape). The only way to make it wider is to use an anamorphic lens, or to matte out the top and bottom of the picture. But why would they do that for TV?

Oddly though, when you look at these caps (originally posted by StewMC), it does look as though there was extra unused footage at the side:

From TNG "Menage a Trois":
    http://www.evilpenguins.co.uk/rep1.jpg

From ENT "These are the Voyages":
    http://www.evilpenguins.co.uk/rep2.jpg

I don't know exactly how this shot fits into the episode, but it doesn't look as though the additional footage could have been 'drawn'. It really does look like one big wide shot. (Unless the camera panned left afterwards in the original episode.)

Can anyone clear this up? Was TNG shot using an anamorphic lens or a hard matte?

I agree. Here are some caps:
    http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/4/4b/USS_Enterprise-D%2C_These_Are_the_Voyages.jpg
    http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/e/e7/Galaxy_class_aft.jpg
    http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/i...eroid_field.jpg

Looks amazing. TNG in HD would be amazing!

As well as new special effects, and the film remastered to high def, I would also love (and I'm dreaming, now) if they scrapped the synthesised music from seasons 1 and 2, and just replaced it with selected orchestral music from the latter seasons. I think it would make the episodes seem so much better.

10. Count

Count Commander Red Shirt

My first post here :)

First two seasons were shot on video, the last 5 were shot on film, which is why Evolution looked so much different in quality compared to Shades of Grey.

The halo around the ships is a result of the light setup that was used to make the models stand out against the greenscreen, not a result of the keying itself, but a necessary step to emphasize edges on the models so they wouldn't be lost when the keying was actually done.

11. DizzyMan

DizzyMan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Grrr. I've been trying to include images in my post. Can't get it to work. (Since this is my second post here, you'll have to cut me some slack!)

12. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Can we have the mods just sticky one of my two remastered threads? :mad:

Suggestions and rebuttals were made there already!

13. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

they could even re-do the instrument panels in TNG

14. romulus

romulus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think TNG needs to be re-mastering for a while if ever. Right now the attention is back on TOS, making the old schoolers happy; also I guess the younger fans of that show.

It needed it; it is about what now, 40 years old? It's not going to make me watch it, despite what some old timers say, and even I might say, its not just about the special effects. But it might interest other people that might not other wise watched it.

TNG is still remembered by most of my Gen, it’s what most of my generation watched even if they did not become big enough fans to pay attention to the sequel shows.

I'm starting to think that most people of my gen who watched TNG, later moved on to other sci-fi and don't really care about Trek anymore. Most of the Trek fans left are old timers so I don't know if there are enough people left who care about TNG to want it "remasterd."

It’s my favorite Trek show, and really I don't care. If it’s forgotten like our resident TOS and DS9 fans seem to want, I will still be its fan. I have it in my own personal collection so I don't have to depend on a network to show it.

15. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

YOu need 100 posts to include images.

16. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Actually...no. No Trek were shot on video until Enterprise season 2 (I think). Seasons 2 and 3 look different because of a new cinematographer who brought in a different lighting scheme.

17. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IMDB says:

18. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

One day, we will all watch all series (and movies) on a Holodeck.

I hope I will still be alive by then.

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ With the US Military working on simulator chambers similar to holodecks, it's possible you may if the tech is permitted for private use.

Though I don't think you'd be able to afford it for your home. No offense is meant by that, but I'd assume the technology would be in the ballpark that only Bill Gates could afford it.

20. Commander Dan

Commander Dan Lieutenant Red Shirt

‘Twas my understanding that principle photography from TNG, DS9, and Voyager were all shot on 35mm film, but they were compiled and edited in 480i standard definition video. Perhaps more importantly than that, all special effects were rendered in 480i standard definition video as well.

If that’s the case, then to get TNG, DS9, or Voyager in HD, one would have to go back to the original source footage (the film) and it would have to be re-edited, while the effects would have to be re-rendered from scratch. Not an impossible task (if they go the CGI route for FX), but Paramount may not do it if they don't believe it would be cost effective.