Project Enterprise Campaign Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Star Trek Live In Concert Update
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Crofoot: Angel One And The Offspring
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old April 9 2015, 07:41 PM   #226
aalenfae
Commander

Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

A fun new teaser for Pacific 201 that shows off some clips as a Starfleet recruitment ad.

The important part of this teaser is that it communicates the hopeful, optimistic future of space travel that Pacific 201 embraces.
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2015, 07:44 PM   #227
ElimGarak.93-99
Commander

That looks great!
Nice background music too.

Luckily only one lens flare in the beginning. It's something you notice when you've seen the JJ Star Trek films and it's not by definition a plus those flares.

I saw a NX-class ship and a shuttlepod pass by for a few seconds.
ElimGarak.93-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2015, 08:20 PM   #228
Bixby
Commander

Love...this!
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2015, 04:14 AM   #229
Borgminister

Nicely done!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2015, 04:16 PM   #230
aalenfae
Commander

ElimGarak.93-99 wrote: View Post
That looks great!

Luckily only one lens flare in the beginning. It's something you notice when you've seen the JJ Star Trek films and it's not by definition a plus those flares.

An important thing to remember about lens flares is that they're not a JJ invention, and any post-JJ use of lens flare ought not necessarily be compared to how he integrated them into his shot composition in the Star Trek films. We're not using them in a stylistic capacity as JJ did.

Here, we're using lens flares primarily as a realism aspect. The reason there are few lens flares in the shots (two, actually - not just one) is not because we wanted to limit the "JJ look," but rather that in the other shots, a lens flare wouldn't be appropriate, or would be out-of-place in a realistic shot.

Most of the ship photography is heavily inspired by NASA footage of the space shuttles and the International Space Station, which is generally "whatever they could get" in regards to shot composition, exposure, and stabilization. With absolutely nothing to diffuse sunlight in space, and the general brightness and reflectivity of spacecraft, sunlight REALLY flares up on cameras in space. In Pacific 201, without lens flares, some shots would really feel too "perfect" to be realistic. And since a huge part of our visual approach is "Star Trek is real," it's important that we add imperfections like lens flares in shots where it's appropriate (i.e. only on very bright light sources like the sun)

And yep! Some NX love in there. It's actually a somewhat redesigned NX (image) that's a little closer to TOS design. And the shuttle is a new design (image)for Pacific 201.
Old April 10 2015, 05:43 PM   #231
ElimGarak.93-99
Commander

aalenfae wrote: View Post
That looks great!

An important thing to remember about lens flares is that they're not a JJ invention, and any post-JJ use of lens flare ought not necessarily be compared to how he integrated them into his shot composition in the Star Trek films. We're not using them in a stylistic capacity as JJ did.

Here, we're using lens flares primarily as a realism aspect. The reason there are few lens flares in the shots (two, actually - not just one) is not because we wanted to limit the "JJ look," but rather that in the other shots, a lens flare wouldn't be appropriate, or would be out-of-place in a realistic shot.

Most of the ship photography is heavily inspired by NASA footage of the space shuttles and the International Space Station, which is generally "whatever they could get" in regards to shot composition, exposure, and stabilization. With absolutely nothing to diffuse sunlight in space, and the general brightness and reflectivity of spacecraft, sunlight REALLY flares up on cameras in space. In Pacific 201, without lens flares, some shots would really feel too "perfect" to be realistic. And since a huge part of our visual approach is "Star Trek is real," it's important that we add imperfections like lens flares in shots where it's appropriate (i.e. only on very bright light sources like the sun)

And yep! Some NX love in there. It's actually a somewhat redesigned NX (image) that's a little closer to TOS design. And the shuttle is a new design (image)for Pacific 201.
Thank you for clarifying about the lens flares. I can understand that when the ship is passing 'close' to the sun that it's appropriate to see lens flares. My comment was meant as an observation not as criticism.

The NX is your picture has that same colour as the USS Pacific.
The saucer section is completely round, nice.
The NX Enterprise saucer has a piece missing at the front. I always thought that it was some kind of deflector dish.
Old April 10 2015, 06:17 PM   #232
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

That looks great!

B5 always did a lens flare or two in the space shots
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2015, 06:20 PM   #233
aalenfae
Commander

Thank you for clarifying about the lens flares. I can understand that when the ship is passing 'close' to the sun that it's appropriate to see lens flares. My comment was meant as an observation not as criticism.

The NX Enterprise saucer has a piece missing at the front. I always thought that it was some kind of deflector dish.
Oh, no - I do appreciate the feedback. I just wanted to take the opportunity to explain the mindset behind those visual aspects.

Yeah, the original NX design has a squished navigational deflector in the front, which is actually still (technically) present on the redesign. But I've just hidden it behind panels. I added little frosted windows so you can still see technology in the nose.
Not all Starfleet ships have a visible deflector dish (Oberth Class and Miranda Class come to mind), and it stands to reason that the emitter is merely hidden behind panels somewhere. I've adopted that reasoning here to hide a detail that I find ugly in the original design.
Old April 10 2015, 06:43 PM   #234
ElimGarak.93-99
Commander

aalenfae wrote: View Post

Oh, no - I do appreciate the feedback. I just wanted to take the opportunity to explain the mindset behind those visual aspects.

Yeah, the original NX design has a squished navigational deflector in the front, which is actually still (technically) present on the redesign. But I've just hidden it behind panels. I added little frosted windows so you can still see technology in the nose.
Not all Starfleet ships have a visible deflector dish (Oberth Class and Miranda Class come to mind), and it stands to reason that the emitter is merely hidden behind panels somewhere. I've adopted that reasoning here to hide a detail that I find ugly in the original design.
I like it. The ship has undergone a refit. A nice improvement.

Last edited by ElimGarak.93-99; April 10 2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old April 17 2015, 03:38 AM   #235
Karzak
Lieutenant Commander

That promo is superb!
Karzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #236
aalenfae
Commander

Looks like the Romulans might be up to no good in Pacific 201...