Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

D'OH!!!

2. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Oh that's awkward. Poor Whoopi.

I also find it odd that they included Denise Crosby in the credits. Somewhat dampens the surprise of her return.

3. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The deflector is completely different, and the shape of the secondary hull is really off from from the 6 footer.

-Chris

4. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

And yet those of us who came to the show after the 4-footer was introduced find the 6 footer too thin, weak looking and far too brightly lit and undetailed.

Everybody is different ;)

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Oh, I know. There's a number of problems. I mean, ugh, how damn hard would it have been to make the damn model match the 6-footer? It's especially jarring in episodes where footage of BOTH models are used. Ugh.... TREKKER SMASH!

6. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The thing that bugs me are the warp nacelle pylons that go from being smooth curves on the 6-footer to being "L" shaped on the 4-footer.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's a trade off between the three models. The 6 footer looked best, but they could barely move the thing because of how large it was. The 2 footer could move much more easily, but it looked terrible. The 4 footer was the compromise, and the main reason the ship was able to move more in later seasons. :shrug:

I'll just say I prefer good models over bad CGI ships any day!

8. Trekker4747

I don't see how "trade-off" means utterly changing the smooth lines and look of the ship. If the 6-foot models clean, smooth nice lines and "thin-ness" of the edges can translate to an 18" plastic model kit I'm sure they could've done it for the 4-footer.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Just loving the set so far, about halfway through. I'm not really in one of my normal "Trek watching" phases right now, but this set is worth a look since it's my favorite season.

RAMA

10. Trekker4747

Yeah, I've yet to fully watch the set either, only episode I've watched so-far, really, is "Brothers."

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I watched one episode today..I'm still in awe sometimes...just the shot of the Enterprise coming toward the screen with the detail and clarity amazed me still. Amazing that it always should have looked that way.

RAMA

12. cbspock

There are some good shots of the 4 footer, usually the between the nacelles looking toward the saucer from above looks good.

-Chris

13. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

While watching Galaxy's Child, I noticed some amusing items in the MSD in engineering. I'm sure it's been discussed before. I found a duck, airplane, mouse, sports car, and some odd creature in front of the car. Pretty cool!

And maybe a bunny. Not sure though.

14. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I notice there's a minor change at the end of Redemption Part I.

Before, the episode ended on a freeze frame of Sela when "To Be Continued" appears. In the HD version, the shot continues without freezing.

15. jimbotron

Thanks. The shot appears in Redemption II. CBS-D's work on that shot looks great.

16. cbspock

The opening shot of Enterprise in Suddenly Human is just awful in both SD and HD. it is just sad some of the model shots that were done in TNG. The ENT-D is supposed to be a huge starship, and it always looks tiny because the camera can't get close enough to it. The Enterprise on TOS / TOS-Movies always looked big because the camera could get to within an inch of it (the refit) and it still look good.

The under the saucer shot of the 4 footers always looked crappy.

-Chris

17. jimbotron

The 4-footer is a double-edged sword. On the bright side, it eliminated the need for the 2-footer. Now when the ship is scaled down, it still looks like the Enterprise and not an small scale model. But then when fine detail was needed, it fell flat (with the exception of overhead shots).

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Considering how big the Enterprise is supposed to be I find the exaggerated hull plating on the 4-footer to be a bit ridiculous.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This. It makes it seem much smaller than its suppose to be.

20. jimbotron

It's not even the exaggerated hull plating. You can see the texture of the spray paint.