DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, calling this depiction of young city living "an extreme" is...misinformed.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Bruce Wayne's parents died too, of course. Orphanhood seems to be a recurring element of these kinds of tales.

3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even Barry Allen, who's parents both used to be happily alive, has had them retroactively killed off to provide The Angst.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Plausible reason? Why do I need to give a plausible reason for what I like and do not like. I just don't like it, I've got my reasons -thin as they may be- I think Clark's humble beginnings could have done in a different way.

And, being a happy little suburbanite in the mid-west no I never have tried to find a place to live in Chicago, NYC or even my own Kansas City, city-living isn't my thing and frankly probably too expensive for what I'd get.

So maybe that's why I don't like it, I've no idea what it's like from my experiences. I do know my cousin lives in a New York borough with two other female roommates in what she describes as a fairly nice apartment on par with what a three-bedroom unit would be where I live and her and her roommates are all post-grads in their early twenties in starting positions for their careers. To my knowledge none of them ever lived in some spare bedroom in a tenement covered with filth and junk.

Just personal taste, is all I'm saying. I'm sure Clark's humble beginnings could have been just as easily conveyed if he lived in tiny studio apartment that at least looked livable.

5. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One does imagine a man with superspeed would have a cleaner house. But then I look at my own house and figure my own free time is the functional equivalent, and I realize probably not.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

But that's not what Morrison (or DC editorial) wanted to do or write about. Debating on whether or not it was a good narrative move is fine. Liking or disliking it is fine. However, you seem to be placing your personal taste onto the character. At that point it becomes less "this doesn't ring true for the character" and more "this isn't what I would do in his spot".

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

And that he took a damn shower.

I'm pretty sure that's how liking or not liking something works.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No it doesn't. I don't expect fictional characters to share my lifestyle, taste or prefered living conditions.

9. Broccoli

Right. It is one thing to say "I don't like Superman doing X, because of reasons A, B, and C." It is another thing to say "I don't like Superman doing X, because I wouldn't do that."

On another topic altogether...I stumbled upon this article from ComicVine. It is dated May 27th, 2011, and the author ponders if the DC Universe will be rebooted after Flashpoint. I am very amused-in-hindsight by the article considering what we know now.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. Remember Rich from Bleeding Cool had the information sometime before he actually decided to reveal the information. So it's very possible Comic Vine did as well but decided to do a speculation piece about a possible reboot. It is amusing now. Reboot/relaunch didn't even register for me as a theory about post Flashpoint until Bleeding Cool broke the news.

Newsarama's Top Ten New 52 Titles That might be cancelled.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/10-dc-new-52-titles-on-the-bubble-111103.html

We should be hearing about cancellations soon methinks.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  11. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

The only title on there that I'd miss is Men of War, but it admittedly does have its flaws; and unlike Batman, who can apparently carry at least one title everyone hates but still continues to buy, that's the kiss of death for new ideas.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I lived worse than Clark when I was in my early 20s.

The only title there I'm interested in is Voodoo. I have the the first two issues, but haven't read them yet.

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Do they not realize that the writer for OMAC is in charge of DC Comics? The likelihood of that book getting cancelled is zilch.

14. Broccoli

If it isn't making money, they are not going to keep it around. Didio will then just assign himself another, new book. Then again, at the rate of current authors jumping off titles, he might just take an already successful book.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

....and kill that one too.

SNAP!

16. Admiral Buzzkill

If they kill ten books I'll be impressed.

17. Professor Zoom

Yeah, I don't think they would kill ten at once. That wouldn't make much sense. Will all of those on that list be around in a year? Who knows, maybe not. But DC won't drop them all in the same month.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

I dunno - the virtue of dropping ten books at once is launching and promoting a number of books at once as a "next wave."

19. Professor Zoom

You gotta have those ten books ready to go. Probably if they made the decision NOW to have 10 new books in 6 months, they could drop 10 in a month.

The idea of a next wave, I think, actually would be a good way to continue the publicity, but, I think they have to back it up with story, Why the next wave? (Other than we had to cancel 10 books)

Why wasn't Hawk and Dove on the list? I can't imagine it's doing well, not with art that burns the eyes.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Link