Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by G2309, Nov 23, 2010.

1. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

I'm a long time fan of Star Trek and was surprised how much criticism the latest film got. Especially with what has come out of the franchise in the last few years. So I decided to write this as a counter to all the hate pages.

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/381051_reasons-to-love-rather-than-hate-star-trek-xi

Also i did do a parody of it as like most films it has some flaws. But it shouldn't distract from how good the films is.

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/191154_star-trek-xi-parody-script

Anyone else with positive opinions of the film and what things they'd like kept for star trek XII :)

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice page. I particularly liked:

Really - I've been waiting for them to use the original TOS outfits in a movie for decades. They did, and it worked just fine. :techman:

In reality, the numbers in Trek fandom run about 9-to-1 in favor of JJTrek; the naysayers are simply vocal and persistent. ;)

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice site:).

G2309, don't mistake the constant bitching by a few die-hard TOS fans for any sort of real world trend. STXI was the most popular and successful Star Trek film in over a decade.

There are people on this site who love the film to death, but don't come here because they're sick of the atmosphere created by the obsessive anti-STXI brigade.

4. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

First I had my reservations towards the recast issue... but it worked out fine (except for Scotty and Chekov... those were horrible), the design was okay (although the new Enterprise simply looks ugly but that's a matter of taste)... but the film fell apart when they actually started the so-called story...
    For me it felt like they set down decided to make some cool action scene and later connected those scenes with filler scenes... there was no coherent plot (at least in my eyes) everything was made to look 'cool' and to please the average Joe.
    The class was missing, the demand was missing.
    The actors did their job well, so did the SFX guys, but I would fire the producer, director and the writers and hire someone of Nolan's or Aronofsky's class to make the second installment and everything will be alright again.

It's all my personal opinion, and honestly... I envy the people who can overlook all the mistakes, plotholes etc. and enjoy this film. But then again... some of you did not like ENTERPRISE...

And it would be extremely boring if everyone would agree on everything, wouldn't it?

5. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Mistakes and plot holes are in the eye of the beholder..

This film was hugely successful and it's sticking in the craw of those who wanted the film to fail.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I've been doing that for forty-odd years. Otherwise I couldn't be a Star Trek fan at all.

Oh, I also liked this one:

7. Commodore_Rook

Commodore_Rook Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I am one of the ones who hated the movie when it first came out, but after repeated viewings thanks to DVD, I have warmed up to it. There are still things I don't like (The hand phaser designs, the Enterprise itself, Scotty (Simon Pegg ugh), uniforms looked sloppy, the insignias are lazy designed, How could anyone watch a planet on another planet see it be destroyed? (Spock watching Vulcan collapse on Delta-Vega???) the bridge was too bright and IApple looking, etc) but over all, I enjoy it. I have a feeling, the next one will be back to our more familar stories and Trek feel now that we have gotten past the origin story. You have to admit, Trek kinda needed this popcorn wow factor added to it to make it super successful. While most fans don't need all that jazz, it does entertain the causul movie goer. Even my Dad, who never liked Star Trek, liked the new movie.

8. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

9. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm one of 'em. I thought the new movie did a great job of making Trek relevant again, and I'm genuinely looking forwards to what they do with the next one.

I think the other thing that makes us seem like the minority is that Trek XI is subject to a lot of random sniping all over the board, whereas those of us that liked it don't seem to find the need to shoehorn compliments about it into unrelated topics.

10. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I largely agree with your list, G3209. Of course, there are a couple exceptions.

The things I agree with most are the comments on casting, acting, visuals, music, etc. I'd probably have even more positive things to add in that department.

The things I disagree with:

[LEFT]The movie was supported by both Majel Barrett and Leonard Nimoy.

Didn't Nimoy not "support" Generations because his role was essentially a meaningless cameo and not important? And when did Majel ever refuse to do Star Trek?

Affectionate use of old Star Trek clichés

Personally, I find that a bit corny. I think the worst offender for this is the Terminator movies.

Abandonment of tired Star Trek clichés

Eh, some of these still existed that you listed. Sure, they weren't the only ship, but essentially they were since the others were purely just fodder. Basically writers of Star Trek are always going to shoehorn things to work just how they want it, not in a way that's going to be realistic, and that will involve them resorting to cliches in one way or another.

I also don't remember the last movie that used technobabble. Certainly nothing more than this movie.

And the transporter was sort of overused, especially with Scotty's little deus ex machina.

Genuinely funny

I agree with this, except I thought First Contact had some good lines. A bit more dry instead of fun, but it seemed appropriate to the atmosphere of the movie.

Characters listen to music which isn't Classical or Jazz

What about Zefram Cochrane? :p

I was always more interested in some of the alien music for similar reasons. The music in the bar on Qualor II or other various alien music was nice because of this.

I can understand why they portray humans as liking music that has stood the test of time though. It just comes across as less dated. It's hard to imagine it now, but maybe stuff like the Beastie Boys will seem more dated in another generation. It's kind of hard to imagine "Sabotage" being popular at all in a couple hundred years.

[LEFT]The time travel wasn’t under anyone’s control it happened by accident!

I always preferred the stories that went this way as well, but I don't think that every instance of intentional time travel was bad. They were only bad when given very little thought, like Generations.

The way I see the time travel in this movie is that it was all an attempt to try and bridge some gap between the Star Trek we all knew, and the newer Trek. I didn't feel like they needed that, and would have been fine with a full reboot. That would have alleviated them from trying to make huge leaps of logic to try and make things work. It forced them to resort to gimmicks.
    [/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

11. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice site. I loved the movie - I thought it was pretty much perfect. I think some of the diehards around here forget that this was a film designed from the beginning to appeal to mainstream audiences as well as fans, and it pulled it off quite well (amazingly so when you consider the box office performance).

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

QFT.

A lot of longtime fans here love the movie or at least like it, and everyone should be grateful that it salvaged the franchise. Maybe it won't get Star Trek back on TV where it belongs, but at least we'll have it in some form.

I think they chose exactly the right method of salvaging what was at the time a damaged and ridiculed brand, made a shitload of money, and managed to deliver a good movie that respected Star Trek history reasonably well, though not enough for the haters, but there's no satisfying them. That's a pretty impressive list of accomplishments. So much could have gone so terribly wrong.
    I agree that Scotty was a botch but Chekov was okay.

13. PvtKtara

PvtKtara Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed the new movie, but more as a guilty pleasure. Yeah, I'm one of those anal, old-school Trekkies who does take issue with JJ Abrams' re-imagining of the Trekverse, but I did manage to enjoy the movie anyway, in part because there were several actors in there whom I just happen to like, but also because it got me away from reality for a while. I'd say more, but right now I'm supposed to be looking for a job, so I'd better take off. See ya!

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Then there are people who like the film but have issues with it who no longer come here. Because they get shouted down by the pro-Trek XI brigade the moment they attempt to talk about the issues.

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Then there are people (called moderators) who remind those people (and those other people) that taking broad-brush swipes at (and/or making exaggerated representations about) those people/those other people is not only unnecessary but it gets really tedious for all of those other other people who have heard the whole schmeer from both sides far too many times before and wish they'd just get over it, already.

In short, if you've really got an issue with another poster or group of posters and feel you must talk about it, then use the Notify Moderator button and the PM function--that's what they're there for--and stop crapping up threads with petty sniping. Sure, a drive-by is easier, but you can resist the temptation - I'm sure of it.

16. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

^^You mean like King Daniel's post?

17. drazzz52923849

drazzz52923849 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just watched the film and i LLOOOVVEED it.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I thought it was clear that I meant his, too. Now, any further comments on the matter should be taken to PM, as I believe I also stated in my above post (see the part which begins "In short... " and includes "that's what they're there for") and no doubt in quite a few previous mod hat-type posts.

19. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Just out of curiosity, how do you figure these numbers? Polls conducted on this board?

20. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

If you go by the polls, it's more like five strongly in favor, three kind of in favor, one either hates it or has no opinion.