'Gravity' (2012) dir. by Alfonso Cuarón 3D sci-fi space thriller

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Jun 17, 2010.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Nah. VOY Day of Honor.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn, that looks incredible! I cannot wait.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks extremely good.

But yeah, is it going to be 90 minutes of that?

4. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

Wow, how on earth did you manage that? Exciting.

John

5. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Gravity, directed by Alfonso Cuarón,
    starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney,
    is the opening film of the 70th Venice Festival
    August 28

spoiler about plot synopsis
    Gravity, from Warner Bros. Pictures, is a heart-pounding thriller that pulls you into the infinite and unforgiving realm of deep space. In the film, Sandra Bullock plays Dr. Ryan Stone, a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (George Clooney). But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone – tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth… and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space.

http://collider.com/gravity-venice-film-festival/#more-266234

yes it seems like that episode of ENT in which the 2 actors were stuck in the shuttlecraft.
    most of the film will be just 2 actors acting it sounds like.

6. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Given Richard Linklater/Julie Delphy/Ethan Hawke managed to produce three films with that exact premise (a pair of people talking), all of which are uniformly brilliant, without any SF premise... coupled with Cuaron's inherent talent, I can see this working wonderfully.

Can't see it making a whole heap of moolah though.

But I'll be there regardless.

Hugo - Clooney-fan

7. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

I like Sandra Bullock and George Clooney but the plot seems a little limited (space disaster, trying to find a way back to earth).

I saw the trailer at the theater a while back and it seemed well done. Of course after the loud explosion that destroys the shuttle and/or space station my son leans over to me and says, "Its in space so how would we hear an explosion? There is no sound in space." To which I felt stupid that a 12 year old had figured that out immediately while I had fallen prey to an age old hollywood fictional license. Grrrrr!!!

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ijEEivCbg[/yt]

nope.avi

9. KGator

10. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seen it. It's an earlier trailer.

Hey now, don't get your panties in a bundle. I'm not here to make you look dumb.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Sweet Zombie Jesus. Give me this film NOW.

12. KGator

That was more in jest. No offense intended. :p

Additionally, I think the newer trailer is the better of the two.

13. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Apparently, they only did that for the trailer. In the movie, there's no sound in space.

That new trailer looks pretty damn impressive!

14. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

No sound in space except for the music score. Also, when she touches things, there is a sound (transmitted through glove/suit), so they are being very honest and legit with how they depict stuff.

Even the sunrise/sunsets take place in real-time, and when the sun goes away, you've only got the moon as a reflected light source, so they aren't even cheating much with lighting. Combine all that with the guy's incredible visual style and -- I'm so there.

15. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT... I am getting really excited about this, especially since they seem to be taking the science seriously. Perhaps if it does at all well it'll even give some more impetus to the public conversation about space junk, which would be a great thing.

16. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I notice that this teaser is all one long shot. Cuaron seems to like those long shots. I remember he included at least two of them in The Prisoner of Azkaban and several more in Children of Men.

17. JarodRussell

Am I the only one who thinks the scene would be even more effective without any music?

One of the most breathtaking astronauts in space scenes I've ever seen is the spacewalk from "2010". You can only hear the astronauts breath and talk. And maybe a VERY low key noise for the "environment". But other than that, there's nothing else.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The short film he contributed to Paris, je t'aime was also one long take. It seems to be his preferred mode of shooting, at least when the budget allows for it.

19. JarodRussell

It's theatre, basically. There are no cuts in a stage play.

Getting everything done in one shot without having to make any cuts is a director's greatest achievement.

Okay, today they are fooling you into seamlessness because they create digital transitions between cuts. The behind the scenes of Children of Men pretty much ruins the film in that regard. ;)

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Of course, many filmmakers that would disagree with that assessment. Hitchcock chief among them; he viewed cutting as a valuable tool, and saw his experimentation with long takes in Rope and Under Capricorn as failures that didn't take advantage of the medium.