The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

79.4%
  2. Above Average

13.5%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. Below Average

0.6%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think that event was needed to push the two characters to their limits to make them who they have to be.

But, I disagree with you on Holmes vs. Maggie. Maggie was much more suited for this role. I just don't think Holmes could've played romanticly off Eckhart that well or played the warehouse scene as well either.

But, to each their own.

I do plan on seeing this again sometime in the next couple of days.

Fantastic movie.

2. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Alright, who are the two Jokers that rated it "Poor"? Get it? Jokers?

I'm easily amused.

3. Trekker4747

These really should be open polls so we can know these things. ;)

I do have a couple of questions.

How did Batman survive his two big falls? The first one from Wayne Tower when he caught Rachel and the second one when he went over with Two-Face. They were pretty major falls and the one with Maggie had him crusing a car (infact in the parking garage he smashed a car when jumping too.)

and

What happend to Wayne Tower? In the first movie it was a central, Empire State Building-esque large tower in the middle of the city that also served as some-kind-of El-Train hub. In this movie it was a fairly regular looking building.

Ok, I've a third.

Did Wayne take his company off of being public and back to privately owned?

4. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, what parts of the film garnered the most applause in your respective theatres?

In my theatre it was, undoubtedly...

When Jim Gordon made his "return." Place. Went. Nuts.

And, of course, everyone applauded at the end. I love going to midnight showings simply for the fact that, more often than not, the people who are there are as invested in what's taking place on the screen as you are.

As for the movie...

It was a sweeping morality play where all the characters were symbols and all their actions affected the greater fortunes of the whole; seeing it all unfold before your eyes is an unforgettable experience.

Going to see it again tonight!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  5. Paxil

Paxil Vice Admiral

Stupid concept, terrible movie, waste of a decent actor's final role.

6. Trekker4747

I think that was kind of expected. I think the biggest applause was when Joker gave his line to Bats that referenced an earlier role. That was awesome, Joker's "pencil trick" also got a big applause.

7. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, yeah. Definitely. I wasn't saying I was shocked by it or anything. Just an observation...

And people were definitely shocked when they saw the "pencil trick." Pretty much anything the Joker did that was played for comedy or shock value ellicited a strong response from the audience.

8. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Any reasoning for this line of thinking?

9. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You must be the kind of person that visits kindergartens to tell the kids that Santa Claus isn't real. :(

10. Trekker4747

Only in this case Santa Claus IS real.

11. Paxil

Paxil Vice Admiral

And I guess you are the kind of person who lines up to attack every critic on Rotten Tomatoes who doesn't like a film you do. I mean, just look at that. How dare somebody not like this film. :rolleyes:

12. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Well if you would give us your reasoning for it, instead of going IT TEH SUcKeD!!1!!1!, we could understand and agree with some of your points and problems with the film.

13. Paxil

Paxil Vice Admiral

I did no such thing.

No, you wouldn't, and I'm not going to bother.

14. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. And considering the fact that you're on-record as strongly disliking superhero movies, I don't think the response you're getting is entirely unwarranted.

15. Paxil

Paxil Vice Admiral

Anyone who dislikes this movie for ANY reason will be attacked. Period.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yikes. I wasn't the biggest fan of the first movie, but I don't know how anyone could actually say it or it's sequel were "terrible". There's still a lot of cool stuff in there for Batman fans, I gotta think.

17. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

That may be true, but it's not much to ask that it be seen before it's called a terrible movie and a waste of an actor's final role.

18. Trekker4747

Perhaps. But it still helps to understand your position better if you say "I didn't like it because..."

Instead of just coming in saying it sucked/was terrible/whatever which can be construed of just trying to be differential to stir shit up.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The "pencil kill" didn't get applause in my theater but it got response.
    It was a few shrieks, verbal OMG, EEKS and I swear one guy behind me somewhere said SHIT! in a disturbed manner.

But not applause.

20. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

M brain is still a bit addled, but I'll try to make the rest of my comments here. SPOILERS of course.

One thing I liked about the movie was that the Joker had no master plan in the sense that he was going to poison all of gotham or somethin else that big. Here he just had a goal and we saw the different ways he tried to reach that goal. It acually gave it a nice comic book feel as it was almost a series of mini-stories linked to form a larger theme.

I almost kept forgetting that this was not an R movie. Several times I had to remind myself that it was PG13 and that they would not go too far in terms of graphic violence.

I really liked that the Scarecrow was in it. A lot of little touches that tied it in with the first movie.

As silly as the cell phone sonar was, it was better than the water vaperizer in the first one.

I really liked the ferry scenes. I think that the Joker was defeated when neither of the boats blew the other one up. At that point, he is proven wrong and Batman's cause to set an example for a better Gotham is working.

I liked that Batman saved the Joker. The one thing that felt wrong in BB was that he let Duckard die. That moment didn't feel true to me. This Batman felt so right here.

Was the Batman copies inspired by Grant Morrison? I know he included the concept at the start of his current run, but I'm not sure when his run started (either 2007 or 2006).

I missed part of the ending because a cop came inside to inform us that some cars were broken in (luckily not mine). Not quite sure what they did with Harvey and I got some of rationale of why Batman became the enemy, but it wasn't clear to me. I guess I'll just have to watch it again. :D