Seth Macfarlane Should Helm the Next Trek Series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Victory Is Life, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Victory Is Life

Victory Is Life Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I honestly believe that he wants it, and that CBS Studios should definitely give him the keys to that kingdom. He wants to bring back the stories of TNG, that style of writing, and I believe that this is the right decision. He loves Trek, and he wants it. He even has Brannon Braga involved in his Cosmos series, for better or for worse...At least there's no Berman.

I think that we should seriously get behind this idea. He would definitely give guys like Manny Coto some much deserved work. We need a new series, and Seth Macfarlane is the guy to get it off the ground. He would be true to ethos with a new perspective. JJ Abrams did not do it justice.

Macfarlane would get commercial success and reinvigorate Trek for TV the way we all want and deserve it to be. Thoughts?

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've seen little of MacFarlane's work myself, but as he's known primarily for animation and comedy, it would seem a waste of his talents.

3. Victory Is Life

If you've seen little of his work, do a little research, I don't mean that condescendingly, I encourage it. Search the web and come back and we'll see if you feel the same way.

4. Melakon

5. Victory Is Life

So it's THIS kind of forum. I won't last here.

6. Melakon

Sure you will. I just think MacFarlane is best suited working in comedy rather than as a showrunner for a science fiction show.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

TNG style of writing?

Pass.

Sleep inducement is not why I want to watch television.

8. Victory Is Life

TNG produced emmy nominated scripts. The Inner Light, TBOBW, Unification, etc. It has the best track record of shit to gold script quality ratio of any Trek series. Am I in a forum of Trek fans or deluded maniacs (no insult intended)?

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

No thanks.

Ick. Definitely no thanks!

10. Victory Is Life

So you want Berman back? or Bjo Trimble? Either way, dead weight. Im curious, what was your ultimate favorite hour of Trek?

11. Victory Is Life

Do you think that it's an accident that Seth is so close to Patrick Stewart? Has Brannon Braga writing his brainchild series Cosmos, an ode to Carl Sagan? reunited the TNG cast for the first time in 15 years (including Wil Wheaton) for an episode of Family Guy? Guest Starred in two episodes of Enterprise? Has basically brought Star Trek into the radar of millennials by consistently quoting and referencing it in Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show, and has publicly expressed interest in being the guy who brings it back to TV?

He's the guy. I promise. I am the biggest Trek fan in history, and I guarantee a quantifiable ROI on Seth Macfarlane bringing the show back to life. From what I can tell, no one else wants the job who is even remotely as qualified, and JJ Abrams essentially raped what we hold dear, and is now on to greener pastures in Star Wars, of which he is a self-professed fan, over Trek. Please.

12. Melakon

That means you're either Bjo Trimble or Richard Arnold.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Was Bjo Trimble ever in?

Not seeing anything that says hire this guy.

14. Victory Is Life

You may not see it, but Abrams=Mediocre, Sci-Fi Producer/Director of the week (made Lost, Cloverfield=BFD) and not even a fan of Trek. Delivered two (mediocre at best) Trek movies that delivered modest to good financial returns, with a marked decline in intellectual quality and modest shout outs to a fan base that deserved respect. This is versus Seth Macfarlane who has delivered consistenly succesful TV offerings (questionable as they may be, but never intellectually). An accomplished singer and hardcore sci fi fan (star trek in particular), Sci Fi is his first love, Cosmos is what he has wanted forever. He loves Trek. Patrick Stewart is his favorite actor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksT_ulO1LYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOQvc2GOOSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-cx-H5XnZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgKxeX0_oL4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zAAInA_IAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y872zaWpfHU

That's just a taste. This guy has a profound love of Trek, just look how he talks about best of both worlds, and serious clout in hollywood. This is the way to go.

15. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Well then it's settled. :rommie:

Honestly my first reaction is "huh?" and my second reaction is "WTF?" and my third reaction is "huh? WTF?" -- but on the other hand, who knows? The idea may be just crazy enough to work.

16. Melakon

A Star Trek fan is not necessarily the best choice to produce Star Trek.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I grew up with TNG and loved it as a kid, but with he exception of a few gems like "Yesterday's Enterprise", I find it virtually unwatchable now. TOS, Voyager and even Enterprise have better hit-to-miss ratios, IMO.
    I love what Abrams did with Star Trek. It brought the fun, excitement and lovable characters back - what made TOS great almost 50 years ago.

Turning the clock back to 1987 won't help anyone. The TNG Format™ was well and truly worn out by the time Enterprise was cancelled. TV has moved on, and any future Trek series needs to move with it.
    Like Abrams, Harve Bennett (Executive Producer, STII-V) wasn't a Star Trek fan.

18. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

To answer the OP's question a little more seriously: I'm not nearly as bullish on Abrams' vision as King Daniel and I like TNG just fine, but I agree with him that Trek needs to be move forward, not backward*.

Upward, not forward...
    and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

19. Victory Is Life

No way, I am by no means saying that we should replicate the inherent cheesiness of the late 80s early 90s, thats why they havent rebooted Seinfeld, it wouldn't work, but there are elements to that formula that are ageless, Q for example. Abrams did us a disservice. A monumental one. Kirk is a whining millennial maniac, a sign of the times, where tenuous professionalism and entitlement rule the day without neither the wherewithal nor the fortitude to command competently. Kirk of the past often rode by the seat of his pants, but he did so with panache, and almost 'john wayne'-like confidence.

He was a man's man, something that no longer exists. He went headlong into the abyss where angels feared to tread, and exuded victory, his demeanor always exuded confidence in his crew, while Abram's Kirk exudes stress, and uncertainty. The Abramsverse is entertaining stuff, but it isn't Trek, put the finest veneer on a third rate project, but to the untrained eye, it's still nothing but a polished turd.

20. Victory Is Life

I should have said ' to the trained eye', my mistake