Spoilers ENT: Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel by C. L. Bennett Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Mar 19, 2014.

?

Rate Tower of Babel.

1. Outstanding

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Above Average

31 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. Average

19 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

The Rise of the Federation continues with the second entry in this series penned by Christopher L. Bennett, titled Tower of Babel. Official street date: March 25th. Mr. Bennett has two more confirmed entries on the way after this; an interesting tidbit in relation to this is a mention of a subplot moving from book 2 to book 3 for space reasons. I wonder if we'll be able to make out what it might be.

Rise of the Blurb:

Awesomely, there's an excerpt: http://books.simonandschuster.com/S...tt/Star-Trek-Enterprise/9781476749648/excerpt

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You won't. The subplot was unconnected to anything else in the story, except in broadly thematic terms; I planned it that way so that it could be removed for space if it had to be. In fact, I originally had it in mind for book 1, but it fell out during the outline phase because it was displaced by a different subplot.

3. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Just can't wait to read this. Loved the last book and this one looks to be carrying forward the story in bold ways. So glad Pocket is continuing the ENT story!

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't wait to read this new book when it comes out next week.:)

5. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I too am excited about this new Enterprise novel. Any chance you will interview Chris on Literary Treks?

6. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

We'd love to! Tell him you'd like to hear him there. The invitation is always open to Chris. I have already reached out. His books are some of my all time favorites.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Seriously looking forward to this. A Choice of Futures did a lot to redeem the ENT line after the Romulan War mishap, so I'm glad Christopher has been able to continue his story.

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad there's going to be exploration of the Rigellian worlds that should make for an interesting storyline in the novel.I look forward to seeing more adventures with Captain T'Pol& Malcolm Reed.

9. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Only a few days until the book is released on my kindle. Anyone get an advance copy (excluding Chris)?

10. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Cadet Newbie

[​IMG]

THIS POST IS SPOILER FREE, I PROMISE!!!

Normally I don't post on message boards, but I have been lurking this one for years, and when I found this Novel yesterday (5 days before its release) I decided to make an account to show off my new acquisition to people who would appreciate it for the rare find that it is...

I had originally stopped by the local "Coles" Bookstore (A Canadian chain) to order a different novel ("Feed" by M.T Anderson, a great Sci-Fi novel that I highly recommend to anyone who reads this post) and while browsing the shelves I noticed the new ENT novel sitting in the corner of the store reserved for Sci-Fi. At first I didn't think much of it, as I haven't been following the exact release date of the novel (I just started a new job, and have been busy with other things) plus usually download the Enterprise Novels in E-Book form, as I like how similar it is to Trek characters reading from PADDs. So I left the store, and when I got home I tried to download the novel, only to discover it hasn't been released yet. Amazon, Simon & Schuster, and even the Coles website all had it listed as a March 25th release date. (here's the Coles website- http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books...749648-item.html?ikwid=enterprise&ikwsec=Home)

Once I realized that I had found a copy 5 Days before its official release, I ran out the door, and as fast as I could across my hometown (through a snowstorm I might add) and even ran across a set of train tracks while a passenger train was approaching! I managed to get to the store before it closed, and tried to keep a straight face while the girl behind the counter rang me through (as I didn't want them to realize there mistake) then I returned home with the novel, and later on decided to take the photo featured above, so I could create a public record of my purchase.
    (I wont reveal my hometown, as I know the girl who works at Coles from high school, shes a nice person and I wouldn't want to get her into trouble)

I wont post any spoilers, as I don't want to rob anyone of the experience of reading this novel themselves, but I will say that I am REALLY enjoying it!!
    (and I intend to answer the Poll at the beginning of this thread with my impression of the Novel after I finish this post)

I have been a fan of Enterprise since it first started broadcasting, and I personally believe it was the best Star Trek series ever made (I am dead serious about that belief) I have enjoyed reading the Enterprise Novels too (especially "Kobayashi Maru"!!!), as I always felt that the series ended way too soon, and the novels have been a great way to keep the story going.

I will end this post by saying that I believe God himself may have rewarded my devotion to Enterprise with this acquisition. As Ira Steven Behr once joked on the DVD commentary for DS9s "Trials and Tribble-ations" episode, GOD IS A STAR TREK FAN!
    (the exact quote was about DS9, but hes obviously an Enterprise Fan too...) and now there's a public record that I am the first to have a copy!!!
    (outside the writer, publishers & retailers that is...)

P.S Anyone reading this who lives in Canada, or close to the border, should check the shelves of "Coles" , there may be another copy that got put out early...

11. Skywalker

^ Great story. Glad you're enjoying the book. And welcome to the board!

I also picked up my copy today from my local B&N. Only read the prologue so far, but it's already looking promising. Looking forward to watching the story unfold. :D

12. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Cadet Newbie

Dammit!!!! I thought I was the first to have one... :brickwall:

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Anonymouse, but try not to get hit by any trains on behalf of my books, okay?

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Technically, them having out on the shelf wasn't a mistake. Smaller release books like TrekLit don't have a hard street date, so they usually can stop popping up in stores as early as a week or two before the official release date. Pretty much whenever they come into the store they will put them out. The only time the release date is a set rule is for the e-books.

15. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Cadet Newbie

The train was far enough away that I wasn't in any real danger... Although I almost wish I had been hit, to spare myself from this major buzz kill LOL!!

Here I was thinking it was some sort of localized screw up (Those things do happen from time to time, I know a few of the Harry Potter novels where released earlier than they where supposed to, and the DVDs for Doctor Who Series 7 where released before the series finale even aired LOL!!)
    But now I just feel like an Idiot... :brickwall:

That being said, I am still enjoying the book quite a bit, so all my efforts to obtain it where still worthwhile :bolian:

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel bad.

17. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Cadet Newbie

You didn't, to quote an old saying: "Pride goes before a fall", I was too caught up in the thrill of having the book early to think that maybe it was already released in other areas, I have no one but myself to blame...

(Although, all those websites that had the March 25th release date didn't help things much...)

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think they do that just because they need some kind of date.

19. Skywalker

Maybe they should start adding 'ish' to their publication dates. :ouch:

20. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These days that release date seems to be more for the roll-out of the digital editions than anything else.