The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Brefugee, Nov 23, 2013.

?

So what did you think?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2013.
  1. Brilliant: Geronimo.

188 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool!

38 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Ok: Come along Ponds.

10 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard.

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Terrible: Who da man?

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

Now that's what a love letter to fans and the show looks like B&B!

Everything but one thing hit the right note, the blubbing scientist wishing for the Doctor to save her (which she then did herself, which pretty much counters my annoyance at the scene).

Everything else (the humour, the character drama, the action, THE ENDING) was perfect. And I know it's a dirty word, but I actually enjoyed having the gravitas!

My fave episode since Parting of the Ways. In fact it may one up it.

2. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Squee! Bloody brilliant. So many great moments. I was praying we'd get Capaldi even just for a second and was rewarded. As for the Curator... yes, I had tears. How awesome was he. It was like he'd never left. Who cares how old he looks.

Best part is am going to see it in 3D this afternoon. Can't wait :)

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That was fantastic.

Isn't there some rule that these big special events must be disappointing ?

4. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ditto. Can't process now, fully.

Didn't we hear that Capaldi's role in "The Fires of Pompeii" would be a plot point? I wonder if Tom Baker's role as the curator is tied into that. The Doctor having other lives...

5. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I liked how they have got a way to bring the time lords back.
    Never liked the fact that they killed them off.

6. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow... Just... WOW... So good.. Laughed out loud, cried a bit... Just awesome from start to finish.

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Really enjoyed it.

Those tried to explain how the regeneration sequence has changed to the wife. She just looked at me bewildered :)

Liked the general's comments about 3 doctors being his worse nightmare and the one about Americans re-writting history.

Oh and the regeneration from 9 (Hurt) to 10.

8. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing is bothering me. How are they going to reconcile "The End of Time" with the "The Day of the Doctor". Maybe dealing with Rassilon will be the second season of 12/13th Doctor.

9. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, just brilliant. It's all I can say. Brilliant! Hells yes!

10. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Of course now Moffat has to do something brilliant for Christmas! Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

11. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apart from the final scene it didn't leave me with that feeling of wanting to watch it again. It was good but not spectacular.

12. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

The general mentions that the high council are a bunch of assholes during the episode, though remember the Doctor's mother was in that group, so they aren't all bad!

13. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Well that was good.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I guess we know what Capaldi's arc will be.

15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Re: The Day of the Doctor Review Thread (Spoilers?)

The End Of Time could simply have happened right before The Day Of The Doctor.

They mentioned the Doctor having "the moment" in TEOT.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The Day of the Doctor Review Thread (Spoilers?)

I think he means in terms of how the Timelords were raging evil assholes?

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well The Doctor forgets until 11th version (or 12th lol) and the high council was not informed of The Doctors plan so they still think the moment is going to destory them leading to their plan in the events shown during "End of time", so "End of Time" can co exist in the same universe as Day of The Doctor. I loved how Moffat has changed the future of the show but all the past events & stories still stand. :techman:

Look forward to seeing the return of Galifrey, dealing with the rogue elements of the Time Lords lead by Rassilon and The Master can return too all during Capaldi's tenure.

18. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

19. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

YEP!

The special was so well done I think I nerdgasmed!

Spoilers below

Fucking awesome! So, so many cool things! We now have all regenerations on film and for the briefest of moments, I thought we were going to get Chris in that regeneration scene, but I'm still happy with what we got!

I was starting to think that Moffat was going to be the guy who fucked up the 50th, but he hit it so far out of the park, it's left orbit. So many cool surprises and nods. Sure, there were things I wished that were there, but they tend to be minor things that were balanced out by other cool things. I would've liked some mention of Susan, or Ian to show up, but there were other things like the Hartnell era theme at the begining, the picture of Susan, all of the Doctors in their Tardis' showing up, the Doctors at the end.

Given the limitations faced with getting some some of the older guys, we pretty much knew they'd work with existing footage, but the trick was finding a scene that worked with old footage and they did it, and had ALL Doctors active in the episode even if we didn't get to follow the ones we favor. And I'm so happy that Capaldi was in it, even in that capacity! I hoped that he'd be in it somehow because this is the first time a multi-Doctor episode occured one episode before the current Doctor regenerates, and it'd be a rare instance where you can actually have a future Doctor in the ep.

All in all, it was more than I hoped for.

The Doctor pulled off an impossible task, and now he's going to "grow up". That does explain a little bit of the age thing for Capaldi, and is an in-universe way to explain the ages of the most recent Doctors.

I did suspect that Galifrey might return due to them airing "The End Of Time" between the two showings instead of "The Name Of The Doctor". Tennant regenerating was shown this week, plus it's not the best representative of Tennant's run in general. Outside of Tennant's last ep., it was the Galifrey thing that made it stand out.

So now we have a Doctor who will seek out Galifrey. But what has war made them into and can *they* be redeemed?

20. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My question is why didn't the mention the events of "The End of Time". It feels like a huge discontinuity. It would have been funny if the general said "Hey didn't the Lord President try something this crazy and it didn't work" when the Doctors come swooping in to save them.