"King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by CaptainCanada, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Bad example. From what I hear everybody was bad in that poor ripoff of "Love Actually."

2. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm shocked. I'm shocked because you seem to be coming at this with an open mind.

3. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I actually am. I've said I want this to succeed. And Valentine's Day was not well acted by anyone.

4. Vanyel

I can see your point. Is there another movie where I can judge her acting skills?

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Slowing the song down and lowering the key in which it is played likely won't help the apparent lack of strength in Taylor's voice. This is what I was referring to when I mentioned the "breathy, barely there pop/folk" vocals. I just watched part of a concert of hers on Palladia. She was doing one of her own songs with an uptempo kind of loud arrangement. Her voice was nearly overwhelmed by her own band.

I think she'll likely hit the notes okay, or find some adequate (but perhaps less satisfying) alternatives, but the songs she will be singing were originally performed by singers with strong robust voices and I'm afraid compared to them, Taylor's performance will pale.

But on the other hand, when Beyonce was singing with Destiny's Child, I didn't think much of her vocal ability, at least the stuff by them I heard on the radio. But since she has been out on her own, singing different types of songs, it's pretty obvious she was hiding a pretty strong instrument. I'm hoping this turns out to be the case with Taylor.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

She guest-starred on a CSI episode a few years back, playing a more dramatic role. As I recall, she wasn't bad.

7. Vanyel

Ok, not a big acting resume. And she a won A Teen Popularity Award, excuse me, Teen Choice Award.

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

9. Vanyel

THANK GOD!

10. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

We were all pretty much taking it for granted that Swift would say yes to the role, although, realistically, we probably shouldn't have. It would've been neat to see her take on the role, but her not being involved has no affect on my anticipation for the film, since I'd been looking forward to seeing it even before the news of Swift being offered the role broke.

11. Thestral

All that for nothing eh? :lol:

I was actually looking forward to seeing how Swift would do, but this is great to hear.

12. Vanyel

And now presenting Samantha Barks as Éponine singing On My Own in the 25th Anniversary Concert.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYWIVmTBECE[/yt]

13. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Er, I already linked to that.

14. Vanyel

Opppps. My bad. I do apologize. I was just overcome with a renewed excitement for the movie.

15. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Vanyel

I repeat.

17. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

18. Thestral

Not that I actually object to more Valjean goodness, but... he's already got so many great songs. Maybe something of a duet with Cossette?

19. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Based on what that article says, I think I know exactly the sequence from the novel that the song is going to portray, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes across and fits into the fabric of the rest of the musical. I'm also hoping that at some point they'll incorporate the new song and its accompanying scene(s) into the stage production, because, if I'm right about the scene sequence that the song will most likely cover, it'd be neat to see done on stage.

20. Vanyel

Looks like Sacha Baron Cohen will be deep in character (LINK) if the Sun is to be believed, and will not change or wash his costume while playing Monsieur Thénardier.