help!

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by RevdKathy, May 4, 2014.

1. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

I'm looking for a script that can be customised by a bear of very little brain. And I seem to be going round in circles. So I'm seeking help and advice.

What I'm trying to do is this: offer an email address to wedding guests (and for friends to send email greetings instead of cards) that they can send images to, and have those images appear in a slideshow. The idea is to have a screen at the reception with live pictures on.

Flickr and tumblr both have slideshow themes, (I think the tumblr one costs) but they don't allow any heading or text with the image. Tumblr I know you can update via email.

All the slideshow scripts I can find create a fixed flash with the listed images - can't find one that does on-the-fly updates.

This : http://www.partytools.net/photolive/index_e.php#.U2X9JLsU_5d

Does live updates from a folder without going anywhere near the internet but you need ftp set up. Again, no text added.

This: http://faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Might - but I can't actually make too much sense.

And I wondered about this: http://www.zenphoto.org/news/slideshow

As it seems to sit in the gallery.

I have loads of free scripts available (all the ones offered by softalicious) and I'm happy to create a dedicated account in tumblr, flickr etc.

Can someone help? I'm more than a little out of my depth here.

Our Best Man was supposed to do this but he's been too busy with Teh Drama! In his furry community.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

You could set up a Twitter hashtag (#KathsWedding or whatever) and have people post photos on Twitter using that hashtag; for the screen, just set up a saved search for that hashtag on the Twitter client of your choice and the feed would be live.

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

We'd thought of that but a lot of people attending don't have twitter, we'd be able to email photos in to Tumblr or flickr.

4. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

So the tumblr idea would work except you want to be able to submit text? It will probably be difficult to find a service that does both plus can be updated live by email. If the text isn't super important and tumblr does everything else you want, I'd definitely suggest doing that since you're already familiar and with your story, it would be a nice personal touch.

5. RevdKathy

Thanks for the suggestions both. Tumblr have slideshow themes but they cost. Someone has suggested embedding a flickr slideshow in a self-updating web page. I'm unsure whether it would work but we're looking into it. That would at least do the images, deal with different sizes and ratios, be email-in etc. I'm still hunting!

K

6. RevdKathy

Solved it!

I found someone using dropbox, and, of all unlikely things, the screen slideshow in windows 7. I couldn't make that work, but found something called 'faststone viewer' that will run using a dropbox folder, and automatically update. Then add 'sendtodropbox' and you have a working system!

People not at the wedding can have the dropbox view link. At the wedding, we can set up a system for displaying the slideshow. Very, very proud of myself for solving it!

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Genius fiancee.