Shatner speaks....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I also wonder why the actors are the only ones that are supposed to be friends, there are crew people, directors, producers and any large groups of people that work there.

Are we going to wonder if Bill treated his make up artist appropriately? Did he tip the bellhop at the hotel sufficiently? Thank the caterer for lunch?

2. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you for pointing out my misspelling of "mispelling", it was simply a careless slip of the fingers on the keyboard. To me, that is different from constantly typing "Shattner" when his name is plastered in big yellow or blue letters on the opening credits of the episodes, not to mention any number of times in each post in this thread. That is why I was asking if it were some type of joke. Anyway, no harm, no foul. :)

3. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OTOH, a lot of fans also like "The Tholian Web" which had very little Shatner and more of an ensemble feel. Admittedly a whole series having minimal scenes with the captain wouldn't work but there could have been more of a balance.

Well there has been a good deal of criticism of Roddenberry for not giving enough credit to others for the shows and Gerrold seems to have developed a somewhat similar resentment to him as Takei has to Shatner.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  4. MantaBase

MantaBase Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Lol

It can be a Cooking Show where they both get knives! And they have to prepare Klingon and Romulan Dishes for the judges.

5. MantaBase

No Worries. Shatt happens :)

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Interesting point. To twist the topic slightly, Nimoy in particular probably spent more face time with his make-up artist than with Takei....

7. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Lieutenant Red Shirt

LOL Gordon Ramsay could be the judge!

8. MantaBase

"This Gagh is barley moving! Did you use frozen? Both of you should Piss Off! Now GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!" lol.

"Bill, tell me why you deserve to stay?"

"Gordon......I can.....do this. I deserve this. I know the Targ was burned, but really....that wasn't my fault....George...he.....I'm losing control of my space Gordon.....I'm losing....control."

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  9. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Lieutenant Red Shirt

LOL. ..perfect!

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I read this and immediately thought of the episode Tuvix.

We could of had long debates on whether Spock had the right to kill Shatakei.

11. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

This may sound odd, but this entire "feud" reminds me of the Syndrome/Mister Incredible relationship from "The Incredibles": you had a young actor named George Takei who wanted to get to know a rising star named William Shatner, who basically brushed Takei off (for whatever reason). I would venture to say that there might be a "man-crush" involved, but only in a platonic-sense. And like any rebuffed crush, these feelings turned inward. The result? Not being able to let go after many decades, as well as the target of the crush not understanding what is going on. So now, you have Takei striving to be the "heart" of Trekdom, essentially wanting to replace Shatner (who may or may not wanted to have such an honor anyway, given his love/not-love relationship with 'Trek career-wise). Because, let's face it: Shatner is getting older, as well as the rest of the cast members. And, like it or not, some day, we are going to lose these people in the near-future. Right now, both Takei and Shatner are competing (for lack of a better term) to be the end-note to TOS and its legacy. And, sadly, rather than coming to terms to write such an end-note together, Takei and Shatner will both end up as footnotes to a once-proud franchise, and will be easily forgotten within a generation or two, save for their iconic roles in TOS.

Conscious streaming can be a good or bad thing, when coming up stuff like this...

12. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

I read somewhere (who knows where now, soooo many trek books!) that between the 2nd pilot and the start of production of the show Shatner and Takei worked on a production together. Takei said he was excited to work with him again and went up to him on the set to talk about Star Trek. The problem was Shatner did not remember who he was. That could be the start of his feelings.

It is telling that with a few exceptions everyone else Shatner has worked with over the years has said it was a positive experience. The mantra is the same. He is a professional, always shows up prepared, and gives 100% to what he is doing.

I have a friend that was on a local TV crew in the 80's. Shatner came on to do a promo. He was professional and prepared if not very outgoing.

Shatner was hired as the star, billed as the star, paid as the star, always referred to by the shows producer as the star, was the center of action/story of all the episodes (even the episodes that featured other players).

Takei was a day to day background player that was given a few good moments in a show about Capt. Kirk.

13. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This whole thing reminds oe of all the articles and reviews that would say, "this cast has worked on their characters for 20 years," and whatnot. But in reality, they only worked on them for three with a few movies scattered along the way. People tend to lump the beginning time and the end time as one huge block of constant activity and acquaintance. When you put reality in to the mix, you'll find that actually working on this thing called "Star Trek" only took up a very small portion of their lives. It just happens to be the most famous of any of their work.

14. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

Nichols, Takei and Koenig just need to get over it. They haven't acted together in a Star Trek film in nearly a quarter of a century, so they've just go to move on with their lives. Shatner can be a bit of a jerk, but I'm sure he doesn't lose any sleep over them not liking him.

15. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Koenig got over it a while ago, and in fact did a very interesting televised talk with Shatner as part of Shatner's interview show (I forget the name). He might not have always felt this way, but he is quite reconciled to the idea that Shatner was the star and he was a bit player.
    The interview is worth watching. Shatner, for his part, knows more about Koenig than I'd have expected (at one point he points out that Koenig was well on his way to being an intellectual, but for the acting bug).

16. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, especially since Shatner did nothing outside of Trek. :confused:

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Raw Nerve. I heard about that interview but never got to see it. Really wish I did - now it looks like the show's been canceled.

In an earlier post in the thread, I mentioned it:
    Although, to Nichelle's credit, she actually has a relatively new story (as opposed to the MLK one that we've all heard), wherein she was at a convention, I think in the UK and she saw someone who was clearly a skinhead in the autograph line. She was starting to get nervous and security was watching him closely. When he got up to the table he apparently told her that when he saw her in TOS, he was inspired to shed the skinhead lifestyle. He couldn't, in good conscience, maintain that particular viewpoint. I thought it was a very touching and poignant story, but very much off-topic here, though. Just thought I'd share. :)

18. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Watching Star Trek IV the other day I was surprised to see how little Takei and Shatner interacted even in the movies. I don't think there was a single scene where they even make eye contact.

19. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, sorry. I skimmed.

The episode was available on one of the streaming services - maybe Hulu?

Koenig seems to have a good idea of where he sits in the profession. When asked, he said he considered himself a fair actor, not a great actor.
    He didn't even wear his hair for the interview.
    Pure supposition on my part, but I suspect that he's been doing a lot of introspection since his son's unfortunate death.

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

YouTube has several.