The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, May 2, 2014.

?

Drade the movie...

1. A+

5.6%
  2. A

9.3%
  3. A-

11.1%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

18.5%
  6. B-

13.0%
  7. C+

11.1%
  8. C

5.6%
  9. C-

7.4%
  10. D+

3.7%
  11. D

3.7%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

2. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'll start this off by saying I'm not the biggest fan of the first film, in fact I thought it fell apart once Peter became Spider-Man...structurally it's a mess (my opinion course).

But this one? It had me one over about ten minutes in. This is just an amazingly fun movie all the way through. I got some issues with it sure, but seeing it in IMAX 3D was just a blast.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So it's worth seeing in 3D? IIRC the first one was actually filmed in 3D, but this one was converted in post-production instead. Usually I don't bother unless it was filmed in 3D.

4. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^I enjoyed it in 3D.

Saw it when it came out here a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it but I do think it's rushed and a lot of the time it feels like things aren't allowed to breathe. The main emotional beats didn't hit me hard as I hoped they would.

I did liked the villains though and I LOVED the soundtrack, especially the music whenever Electro was around.

Here's my full review

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I couldn't tell the difference to be honest, it looked just as great as Captain America did (the 3D, I mean).

6. NX74205

NX74205 Captain Captain

C

Mild Spoilers

It was ok.... and I say this as a huge spidey fan. I feel that the main problem with the film is that it just didn't seem to get the character of Peter Parker. I love the down on his luck things are always about to blow up on Parker feeling that pervades most of the comics (granted the Big Time arc in Dan slott's recent run was well done) and that was missing in this film. Also Peter is a genius, a nerd, and that really doesn't come out in this movie at all, sometimes it felt like the character of Peter didn't have much to do except pine over Gwen. He graduated from high school, but is he going to college? It just felt like Peter as a hole was in a holding pattern the whole movie. The under characterization of Peter I felt was the main weakness of the movie.

The villains were surprisingly well handled in my opinion although Electro's motivations were not really all that clear. I also like how they made Electro into a force of nature, which is what he really would be, instead of the joke that he is sometimes in the comics.

I do believe though that the end of the movie was very strong, though and I enjoyed it immensely.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

A- for me. Spider-man is probably my favourite superhero and I enjoyed this a lot. Great leading man and lady, the action sequences were fun and imaginatively shot and some true emotion in it. Not as good as Raimi's Spider-man 2 but the best Spider-man apart from it.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I gave it 'C'.

I was probably spoiled by seeing The Winter Soldier a few days before, and am not a massive fan of Spiderman anyway.

Whilst I preferred the first film to the previous trilogy (which I wasn't a big fan of, even though the second one was quite good), this one was a letdown. It wasn't bad, but just O.K.

I still prefer the cast and design to the Maguire ones though...

9. Agent Richard07

The story was all over the place, but it was quite the movie-going experience none the less. After almost 15 years of superhero movies and summer blockbusters, they run the risk of becoming repetitive, and they are in some cases, so the studios have to step up their game and I'd say they did. The action, choreography and camera work was quite the spectacle, New York was made to look big, bright and high tech, and they made full use of the theatre's sound capabilities in a way I've never experienced before. I agree with trekkiebaggio's comment above. The soundtrack when we saw Electro was good, but how it was used made the difference. Makes me wonder how it'll carry over into home video since most people don't have 12 speakers at home. I saw it in 3D, didn't have a choice, and that was the usual fare. In other words, it was pretty decent during the character moments with their lavish backdrops but didn't quite work when it came to the larger shots of the city and airplanes.

The cast was great and I liked Leonardo Di Caprio ...I mean Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn, but his Goblin wasn't quite up to snuff. A little too 'Wicked Witch of the West' and not in the best way.

Gutsy move killing off Gwen. Peter made a promise to her dad, so her death should effect him from here on in. It affected me.

It also looked like we had a lot of set-up for the 3rd movie where I expect to see more of Paul Giamatti's Rhino, the ravishing Felicity Jones and hopefully J. Jonah Jameson. J.K. Simmons wants to return, but I'm up for someone new.

More on Rhino... I liked him in the 60s cartoon and was happy to see him in a live-action movie. Giamatti is perfect. The suit? Not so much, but I'll take what I can get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. NX74205

NX74205 Captain Captain

Giamatti was awesome in this movie and I totally agree with your assessment on Harry.

11. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gave it a B and I'm being generous. There was just too much stuff going on in the film to let anything resonate. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone give great performances and are the heart of the film. But what drags the movie is Electro. The guy is just a throwback to the hammy villains seen in Joel Schumacher's Batman movies. What is that the next film seems to be set up to follow the same formula of being overcrowded with supervillains.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I liked that there were a lot of villains in this movie rather than just the one or two of normal comic book movies. It made the world seem that much larger, and besides, realistically (if we can even say that concerning these types of movies ;) ) There wouldn't just be one super-villain at a time coming around and I liked that they showed that.

Also, I loved the pace of the film, though I can see why others feel it was a detraction, because the movie does fly by and skips over some of the smaller stuff. But all in all that didn't bother me too much.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It's been out for a fortnight (in certain parts of the world). And at best is a C+, I preferred the first film in this series. For me the film seemed to be missing something, not exactly sure what that was. Some of the better scenes were between Garflied and Stone. Perhaps it was the action scenes for me that seemed a bit flat.

14. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was ok... but also a bit boring. Gave it a C-

15. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm working on a review but I'll spoil that by saying I'm giving it a 4/10. With as much going on as was on screen, you would think it would be exciting. Instead I just felt like much of it was watching someone else play a video game.

16. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I t hought it was an awesome film. Better than the last. One of the best Marvel character films I have seen.

I saw it at an IMAX as well, first time I had been to one of them, and it just added to the whole experience.

17. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved this movie. Peter and Gwen were adorable and hearbreaking all at the same time. Much like the first film, the two of them together was, hands down, the best part of the film. The action was much improved on this go around and it warmed my heart to see Spider-Man work his butt off to save people. The world-building around the upcoming Sinister Six movie fell flat and Harry Osborn was boring, but both were easily ignored.

I don't think that I've felt a comic-book movie death as keenly as Gwen's. The way she hit and bounced just as Spidey's web reached her was just so awful. Since their relationship and interplay was so critical to this film, I'm not super impressed with the prospects of Spider-Man 3 without Gwen.

18. Agent Richard07

Spoilers ahead...

Looked like the web caught her just before she hit the ground and she broke her neck.

19. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looked to me like the web caught her but because it had some give, she hit the ground with full force and then bounced back up. Brutal.

20. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

In another thread comparing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man I said there was no contest. ASM wins. I said the real contest would be between SM2 and ASM2. I've seen ASM2. Again, no contest. ASM2 by a country mile.

Andrew Garfield as Spidey is the best casting choice since Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. He owns this role!