First Trailer for "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" drops

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Oct 4, 2013.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

So I take it the movie takes place in Russia and not the USSR? No USSR no viewer here?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think it looks like it could be pretty good. I didn't get the sense that they were turning Jack Ryan into Jason Bourne or anyone else like that; the fight scene in the beginning looked more like Ryan was a guy just pushing himself to the limit to survive, not a highly-trained killing machine like Bourne.

The rest of the trailer made it look like a pretty standard thriller. It doesn't even look like Ryan takes part in a ton of action scenes (outside of that one bit at the end). I don't think this is going to be a huge issue.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

But as i also said it's different if your main star/character is Tom Cruise in a well established, current franchise and if your character is Jack Ryan who's been played by A list actors of their time (well, Harrison Ford is maybe still A List) but the movies are quite older, basically 90s movies which i like and maybe you too but the general audience may have already forgotten.

It just shows how much business thinking there is and how simple the formula actually is. Take Hot, young actor (Pine), give it some cool action scenes and try to ressurect an old franchise to appeal to older viewers and get them into seats.

It doesn't matter if you have twisted the character the movie shows into oblivion because no one cares apart from some idiots on message boards, right?

I may not see this in theatres as it looks too generic for me but i'll still catch it somewhere, it's just that the Jack Ryan is not needed at all if you're going to ignore his background (and i say this without having actually seen this movie so my opinion might change).

4. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Fun trailer, but I sort of wish they hadn't spoiled Keira Knightley's character.

5. jbohn

jbohn Commander Red Shirt

I'm sure you meant Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise's character in Mission Impossible) and not Ethan Hawke (actor, former husband of Uma Thurman).

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I get what you're saying, however, this films target audience isn't going to be familiar with his prior work. IMO the target audience is "action film fan who saw MI:4, Bourne 4 or Skyfall", is 15-30yrs olf, not necessarily the Clancy readership which likely skews a larger age range demo
    Thor is recent and did well so it makes sense to relate them together.
    "You liked Thor a couple years ago, try this, same guy"

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't it that you usually get credited for your most recent work?

Recently I've seen a cheap DTV bluray with Bruce Willis, and the blurb credited him for "Expendables 2", not "Die Hard".

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Who would be excited about an action/suspense movie if the director's previous work was "Henry V"?

"Man of Steel" credited Christopher Nolan as "The director of the dark Knight"

No mention of "Memento" or "Insomnia"

Just the movie that made 1 billion dollars at the box office.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't think that was ever the case in movie marketing.

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Saw it when i saw Gravity.:barf:

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I had heard that Scorsese's original cut for TWOWS was over three hours and the studio wanted him to get it down to two hours plus. This was why the film couldn't make its original release date in November. Since it's Scorsese and the film is something that would be nominated for the Oscar's, the studio gave the slot in December that once belonged to Shadow Recruit.

What is puzzling to me is that three hours is the norm for a Scorsese film...

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

January burnoff, DOA.