Author turnover: Why did they leave, and where are they now?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking at my Trek-related bookshelves, it struck me how many of the authors who penned the older books on there haven't written any new Trek fiction in a very long time, which in turn made wonder about the reasons.

Of course some of those authors will simply have moved on to other writing work as new opportunities arose, or maybe life took them in different directions entirely. Some perhaps also simply weren't very successful at their Trek outing. But I also wonder, do the editors deliberately change the "roster" over time to keep the line fresh or try for new sales opportunities?

Or maybe as the editors changed they tended to bring new authors along they had previous relations with, or to make their own mark on the line to a greater degree?

Are there any memorable stories of TrekLit authors of yesteryear and why they left, and what they moved on to?

Also, as an adjunct of sorts, are there any "one hit wonders" where you really wish they would come back for another go at Trek?

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

To answer your last question: Ilsa J. Bick.

3. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Others know better how to answer your question fully. Of course all of the reasons you list are true to one degree or another.

For some reason, your post really made me miss Marco. Nothing against the current regime - I just really liked him both as a person and his contribution to TrekLit. Seasons change, people move on. Sigh.

I miss S.D. Perry. What is she up to these days? Her DS9 Relaunch novels were the ones I loved far and above all the others.

I miss KRAD too. I know he's got plenty on his plate these days. I think of him as the Ron Moore of the lit world, though - that idea-guy not afraid to pick some fights and push for great stories.

Sure wish we could get Andy Robinson back for more Garak. And I'd love to see the Reeves-Stevens do more non-Kirk-related work. The Millennium Trilogy was awesome.

What about the old stand-bys? When was the last time we saw a Friedman installment? Death in Winter? That was nearly 5 years ago. Considering how he used to crank 'em out, it's like he dropped off the planet all of a sudden.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Some of us worked hard to convince Janet Kagan to write something Trekkish after "Uhura's Song". I was sure she had more Trek to share, although she claims not to have been much of a ST fan. (You'd never guess from reading her book.) Sadly Janet died a few years ago.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

what happened to Sarah Shaw? Saturn's Children was brilliant!*

*this is a joke. i know the story.

6. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Friedman and John Vornholt are my all-time fave Trek authors and neither has done anything for a while. Would love for them both to do some more during-the-series-set TNG.

7. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

8. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

VORNHOLT! That was the other name I couldn't think of!

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bring back John M. Ford!

....I don't care that he's dead!!

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Anyone know how to get to the planet Genesis?

11. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

How about John Peel? He wrote a few good adult TNG and DS9 books and young adult DS9's. I'd like Too see him tackle Voyager.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Genesis?! Genesis is planet forbidden!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

13. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Would love to see Diane Duane return to TrekLit. Although I do understand she has her successful non-Trek work to keep her busy. I would love to see what she could do with the setting/characters of DSN.

14. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

I'd like to see A.C. Crispin write another Star Trek novel! (After the classics Yesterday's Son and Sarek.

Other authors that should return:
    Andy Mangels
    KRAD (as others have stated)

15. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

Would be nice to see something by him again. I read some of his work before he started writing Trek, and enjoyed that too.

16. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We need more from Della Van Hise.

<_<
    >_>

17. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Golden is writing for SW.

18. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure. Maybe she could team-up with Marshak and Culbreath for the ultimate K/S novel.

19. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't :). Interesting to learn it's a pseudonym for Mr. Mack.

Right on - not like that's stopped anyone in Star Trek before!

20. MvComedy

MvComedy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I second S.D. Perry.

I also enjoyed "This Gray Spirit" by Heather Jarman and would like to see her return.

I thought that J.G. Hertzler and Jeffrey Lang did a fantastic job with "The Left Hand of Destiny". I don't know if Hertzler would be able to do another collaboration or not, but I also enjoyed Lang and David Weddle's "Abyss", so I would like to see Lang return to Trek at least.