7X11 The Crimson Horror(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, May 4, 2013.

?

Grsde "The Crimson Horror"

Poll closed Jun 13, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

52 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. Good

40 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. Bad

8 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. …You just cannot see it

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

That part made me shudder a little. Not more "family" friendly stuff. But we'll see next week.

This weeks episode was Good. I'm in the camp that likes the Victorian Scooby Gang.

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was good up until that final scene. It started badly with Clara being dropped off (which I hate) and then got worse with the introduction of precocious brats. Why would anyone believe them over Clara? She should have just told them to piss off and go to bed without supper.

3. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Yeah, agreed on the iffiness of having kids in an episode. As far as their saying they'd tell their dad about a time traveling nanny, well, Clara should have just said go for it. It would give him a chuckle or to, for sure. I hope the photo of Victorian Clara prompts a question or two, though Clara might just put it down to an adventure she has yet to have.

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

#1.) In the future kindly explain why you feel whatever way about a given episode, such as diankara has suggested. It makes for a much more productive discussion, and your life on this board will be longer..

#2.) Kindly focus on your own postings and leave the moderating to Spaceman Spiff, Timby, and myself.

Otherwise, it's an infraction due to the history you have here.

P0sitr0nic, you and junxon both need to focus on your own posts, and the subjects at hand, please. This is after all the Doctor Who forum.

5. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Somehow, I don't think you grok how forums work. :wtf:

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The kids in The Snowmen weren't bad, so it's at least theoretically possible to have a good episode with kids. Plus, the nanny aspect is part of Clara's character, so it's important to explore it a bit.

That being said, "We'll tell Dad" doesn't strike me as the most plausible tie-in.

7. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, he'd chuckle...then he'd ask Clara why she's Photoshopping herself into these old photos and who her 'boyfriend' is. And if the kids led him to the original websites those photos came from, and he realized they weren't Photoshopped... either way, Clara would have some fast talking to do.

As for the kids, well, this is Neil Gaiman we're talking about. I can only assume the reason the kids were shoehorned into the end of this episode was because he wanted them in his story. And Iron Man 3 proved the other day that kids can be made to work in these kind of adventures, so I'm willing to give 'em the benefit of the doubt. If any show could pull it off...

8. Gov Kodos

Please, time travel? And she's got a boyfriend? Ooohhhh... dad would likely give them some chores to do as they clearly have too much free time on their hands.

9. Alidar Jarok

To be fair, I suppose we have to wait until next week to find out if that was, in fact, all that was required or if they do something else next week.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Solid, but not amazing episode. I liked that it starred the Victorian crew. I can't believe that was Emma Peel :wtf: If I hadn't read it I never would have guessed!!!

11. Gov Kodos

I'm not really expecting much more complex a reason than we saw. I'm not bugged by it, yet, and so long as the story is satisfying, I've no reason to complain.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I enjoyed this one. Vastra, Jenny and Strax were perfect in this episode and left me wanting a spin-off. They are just so awesome. Best part was Strax preparing the horse for summary execution.

The story itself was pretty good, with a few twists I didn't see coming. EG, I certainly wouldn't have guessed the Doctor was the "mosnter" the blind daughter was looking after. Likewise, at the start I was expecting the daughter's blindness to be an act and she was complicit with her mother.

"Mr. Sweet" was a bit too cute looking to be believed as posing as much of a threat as he did, though maybe that was the point?

The end with the kids Clara looks after finding pictures of her throughout history doesn't quite sit well with me. Particularly, one of them points to the picture of her and the Doctor with the submarine crew from Cold War saying they found it in school. Why would the crew of a submarine on a top secret mission take a picture of themselves with mysterious guests, and why would this be considered of enough significance to be in school books thirty years later?

Oh whatever. The important thing is after a lousy outing last week Doctor Who is back in fine form and the remaing episodes of the season should be awesome. Particularly next week's, a Cybermen episode from Neil Gaiman. Yeah.

13. Alidar Jarok

BTW, the impression on the eyes thing bothered me because I had recently seen The Ark in Space. Everyone was dismissing it as a myth and I kept thinking "no it isn't, the Doctor's done it himself." Granted, that required advanced technology, but it at least wasn't a myth.

14. Gov Kodos

Glad you remembered, I though that had come up in the show once before. The Doctor does say it's possible under special conditions, though. Close enough, I suppose.

15. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading the 'Kids' thing as being that the Doctor is still trying to stay dead. It doesn't matter if the father believes them, the Doctor will try to keep them quiet in case anything they say gets picked up by anyone who's looking out for signs that he's not dead. (And yep, I think we can all work out that it'll go very badly wrong).
    And also... the kids found the pictures on the net. The Intelligence is in the net. The Intelligence almost certainly arranged for the Doctor to meet Clara back in Bells of St John. Come on, if this isn't the start of its trap, then I've got this bridge I'd like to sell you...

16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I was thinking the same thing. Why should he believe their tale of time travel? Then again, isn't this world one familiar with alien lifeforms coming to Earth?

17. Alidar Jarok

Well, it's complicated.

18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Agreed on a spin-off, at least a short one.

"Horse! You have failed in your mission!" :guffaw:

And that kid that gave him directions wasn't the least bit bothered by his appearance.

How did the gang get from London to Yorkshire so fast anyway?

19. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

He wouldn't. But, like the banker from Mary Poppins, he would wonder what kind of nanny he's got working for him when his kids are making up this crazy story and won't back down from it. (And again, Clara would have to think fast when Dad asks "What's the deal with these pictures?") At the very least, it would make things difficult for Clara's non-Doctor life moving forward, since she's apparently only moonlighting as his Companion at present.

20. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

When they first met after his de-shellacking he said "I'm the Doctor and you're nuts, and I'm going to stop you."