General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 2, 2012.

1. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I've always thought of him as a fantastic booker, but on who definitely needs someone else to reign him in. Regardless I'm really happy to see him back on TV. A guy like him can always bring something to the table.

2. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

3. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Good article with many a salient point.

I wrote for them several years ago, perhaps when I had something relevant to say on the subjects of the Intercontinental and US Championships.

I lost interest after writing three articles.

4. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Good article. It's definitely a step above some of the crap I've seen on Bleacher Report (likea recent article written as if Big Show's firing by Johnny Ace was real...the author gave absolutely no indication he thought it was fake and actually got comments from others who thought it was real too :wtf: ).

5. Ghost Bones

Cheers guys. See, I read the site occasionally and thought "I can do better than this" so finally got around to it. Summink to do, innit. I can claim to be a writer anyway.

6. Sheep

Surprised no one's mentioned the news of RAW expanding to 3 hours permanently in July.

It's not quite comparable to Nitro going to 3 hours since WCW had all sorts of issues of its own that caused their product to be complete shit (wrestlers with full creative control, Bischoff, Russo et al.). Personally I think this is a horrible idea considering the WWE has a hard enough time filling up a 2 hour RAW without resorting to crappy skits and garbage filler matches no one cares about.

7. Ghost Bones

I'd like a Dolph Ziggler vs Cody Rhodes Iron Man Match for the IC title. If we get that then I approve.

8. Ghost Bones

Huzzah, another PPV.

Kane vs Ryder
    Who I want to win: Kane
    Who I think will win: Kane
    Kane relegated to the preshow? Against a man he's frequently squashed since his masked return? Sake.

Beth vs Layla
    Who I think will win: Beth
    Who I want to win: Layla
    Oh.

R-Truth and Kofi vs Ziggler and Swagger
    Who I think will win: K&R
    Who I want to win: Z&S
    Are Truth and Kofi a team because they're both black? Is that why? That's the logic isn't it. Shame on you WWE. Anyway, 4 great wrestlers in here. Of course, Ziggler's the best wrestler probably ever, so I want him to win.

Sheamus vs Orton vs Del Rio vs Jericho
    Who I think will win: Sheamus
    Who I want to win: Jericho
    You can bet Del Rio won't win, that's for sure, considering it was originally going to be him and Sheamus. Jericho's good, I want him to win. Not much more to say than that.

Punk vs Bryan
    Who I think will win: Punk
    Who I want to win: Bryan
    At least we should be damn near guaranteed a good match. Bryan winning would be a good move, considering how over he is. It'd be interesting to see how far they can go with him. More likely they'll play it safe and go with Punk though.

Ace vs Cena
    Who I think will win: Cena
    Who I want to win: Ace
    Considering how explicitly they've painted themselves into a corner, either there's gonna be some big swerve or this is it for King Laurinaitis.

Not really much to say clearly. Just can't get excited over it.

9. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Great stuff!

So I think in honour of this, I'll go with Ghost Bones' format for my PPV predictions...

Kane vs. Zack Ryder
    Who I think will win: Kane
    Who I want to win: Zack Ryder
    - I think they were really getting somewhere with Ryder, but alas WWE will abort pushes randomly for various reasons (often one's that don't seem just).

Beth Phoenix vs. Layla
    Who I think will win: Layla
    Who I want to win: Layla
    - I'm thinking we might get the return of Kharma tonight following the conclusion (or during, in which this could be a double DQ) to set up a new feud or two.

R- Truth and Kofi Kingston vs. Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger
    Who I think will win: R- Truth and Kofi Kingston
    Who I want to win: R- Truth and Kofi Kingston
    - I'd imagine that this is one of these throwaway PPV matches that is designed to add credibility to the new champs.

Sheamus vs. Randy Orton vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. Chris Jericho
    Who I think will win: Sheamus
    Who I want to win: Randy Orton
    - I think WWE is looking at turning Orton heel again, given that he is in danger of gathering dust at his current stage. However, I also think that WWE really wants to continue with Sheamus' push because he's a big guy that is capable of working to a pretty high standard, who is still young and in his prime - If they don't build him up, then gasp! It falls to the likes of Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler to be the top guys and we can't have a WWE without tall, muscular men!

CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan
    Who I think will win: CM Punk
    Who I want to win: CM Punk
    - I think it would be cool for Daniel Bryan to win, but by doing this they will be giving away their pay off way too early. I look for this feud to continue up until MITB at least.

John Laurinaitis vs. John Cena
    Who I think will win: John Laurinaitis
    Who I want to win: John Laurinaitis
    - I think they've essentially given this match result away by "firing" Big Show and then declaring that should any "contracted" superstar interfere that they will be fired. I'm thinking Show will interfere and cost Cena the match and explain it away as doing what he needed to get his job back.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  10. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was surprised that christian got a title shot last night, Over all a good ppv.
    I was pissed off that john l. won f@#$!!

11. Satyrquaze

^See, I find that odd because, I'm glad that they're moving away from having Cena go over in every match.

In other, sadder news: Jericho is promoting his June 6 -7 Fozzy shows in the UK on twitter. While I know that this doesn't mean he'll be gone by then, it does means his days in the WWE are numbered if he going to be focusing on his musical career.

ON the bright side: It sounds like CM Punk and DBD stole the show last night, as they tend to do. :)

12. Sheep

It might be a little early to say this, but I'll be shocked if another match this year tops Bryan vs. Punk at OTL. That was old school wrestling with loads of ring psychology and storytelling at its absolute best. The crowd was hot as hell for it too, which surprised me considering how rarely the WWE gives us this type of match nowadays. The ending was perfect as well and practically guarantees another match between these two. Not bad for a match that was clearly on the backburner in terms of hype due to the Cena/Laurinaitis circus that no one cares about.

Okay, I take back my statement--maybe Punk/Bryan II can top their OTL match. :)

13. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since christian came back is he a face agin?

14. Satyrquaze

Yes, he turned at Over the Limit, apparently.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was better than Cena/Rock or Taker/HHH at Wrestlmania? That's high praise.

Right now I'm in one of those lulls where I just can't get into wrestling. With this Laurenitis crap and hearing Raw is going to 3 hours long weekly (a move that is a mistake), nothing strong is happening right now. Things might get better for Money in the Bank and Summerslam though, which was the case last year.

16. Sheep

I thought Punk/Bryan was better than Taker/HHH and I honestly don't remember much of Cena/Rock beyond Cena doing the worst People's Elbow in history before losing the match.

17. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

It was good, but I can name several matches that were superior efforts including:

- Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito (NJPW 40th Anniversary Show)
    - Davey Richards vs. Michael Elgin (ROH Showdown in the Sun 2)
    - Undertaker vs. Triple H (Wrestlemania XXVIII)
    - Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan (Extreme Rules)
    - John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar (Extreme Rules)

I'm thinking we might see the return of the "Iron Man" match as this feud progresses. The emphasis is firmly set on both performers and how they have made it to the big time, whilst still highlighting their respective characters and gimmicks - which caters to both the hardcore and casual fans.

18. Sheep

I can't speak to the first two but I know I'm in a small minority who felt that Taker/HHH dragged on too long. Don't get me wrong--it was a great effort from both wrestlers but it just didn't draw me in like Punk/Bryan did.

I did skip Extreme Rules so I'll have to seek it out if those two matches are as good as you suggest. I have a hard time believing Sheamus can be in a MOTY candidate unless Bryan did all the work and the impressions I've read about Cena/Lesnar indicated it was a Lesnar beatdown for most of the match with an surprise appearance by SuperCena at the end.

19. Ghost Bones

I thought HHH/Taker was dire. More talking than an episode of Eastenders and it turned into Brokeback Mountain in a Cell.

20. Sheep

Hey GhostBones, I bet you LOVED this article on Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...2-results-why-ryback-is-the-future-of-the-wwe

Fact: Ryback isn't getting over unless he actually displays some personality beyond Goldberg clone meets Terminator. In this day and age, no mega monster is going to do so beyond a short-term splash--look at the newly-renamed "no longer a lord" Tensai as another example.