no re-release for The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Siwilliams, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Do you like TDK then of course you would say that, hell there are films I don't like but can understand the quality of acting in it. Theres too much of a prejudice about what genre of movies should win Oscars and it needs to change and lets not forget, there was PLENTY of Oscar talks before his death. If the does not win then I will never consider the Oscars a worthy Academy ever again.

His performance was fucking amazing and to say otherwise shows you know nothing about acting.

Also reading some previous posts... Heath was not the lead actor, his name was 2nd on the bill, screentime also and not too mention the film being a BATMAN movie means he cannot be nominated for Best Actor. There is nothing wrong with the best supporting Actor award. For Best actor my money is on the actors from the Nixon or MILK movie to claim that honor.

2. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Milk is about a famous gay icon. Therefore, Hollywood loves the film unconditionally. There would have been a huge groundswell of support for the film if Prop 8 won, or if Prop 8 lost, or if there was no Prop 8 on the ballot at all.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

So you agree with me that Milk will likely be a leading candidate for Best Picture. Cool. :techman:

4. Bad Bishop

Of course it will. But not just on the merits of the film. An Oscar nomination will also be seen as Hollywood's way of showing solidarity with the losing side in the Prop 8 battle.

As for The Dark Knight, an Oscar nomination for Best Picture would be well-deserved. But has any summer film since Raiders of the Lost Ark received such an honor?

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The Fugitive is the only one that comes to mind, off the top of my head.

6. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Thank you for the kind words. Ledger's performance was in way "fucking amazing". His Joker was not as memorable or as defined as Nicholson's was, or even as Hamil's in the animated series. He may have looked good in the make-up and might have been able to pull of a "crazy" face but the Joker is more than that, and when it came to portraying the "more than that" aspects of the Joker, he was average.

When an actor dies, all his past work suddenly gets looked at in rose tinted glasses and elevated above the level it actually was. And if he gets any Oscar for TDK, it will be in a large part down to this.

As for the Dark Knight in itself, I was disappointed, an average film that got needlessly convoluted towards the end, and was several standards below Batman Begins in terms of quality and story.

7. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

I agree Ledger was good as the Joker, but Mark Hamill is the best Joker

8. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd sell my nuts if The Dark Knight gets a Best Picture nomination.

My nuts.

9. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just have to step in here for this comment. Nicholson did not play the Joker. Nicholson played Jack-Nicolson-plays-The-Joker. His performance is hammy and tongue in cheek. It has perhaps two memorable lines, and only one of those was actually played well. (He practically winked at the audience on "This town needs an enema!", but "He stole my balloons!" was pretty good). Nicholson developed no physicality, no voice and no coherence to his performance. It was Jack in white face. It was also a nearly identical performance and character to the role he played in Witches of Eastwick two years prior.

At the very least Ledger created a unique way of moving and speaking which was consistent throughout his performance and distinct from every other role he had previously played. He also committed to the role in a way Nicholson did not get near.

Joker is frightening, funny and amiguously mad (meaning one always has to ask if he's really crazy or just acting crazy so he can get his sadistic kicks). How did Ledger not accomplish those things?

Personally, I'm not convinced his performance was Oscar worthy (laregly because "Oscar worthy" is a pretty arbitrary category that has as much to do with Hollywood politics as it does artistic merit), but I find most criticisms of Ledger's performance seem to boil down to people who simply feel it was overhyped. Which is not the same thing as a poor, or even average, performance.

10. JacksonArcher

I'd have to pretty much agree and bow down to everything Lapis Exilis has said.

11. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

He did, I just did not like the way he talked all that much, still an excellent performance, I just think Mark Hamill did the best Joker and the animation to his Joker (in Batman - The Animated Series anyway) is the best interpretation. I also think the Joker should have a pointy nose, like in the comics and in Batman - The Animated Series, Johnny Depp could have played the Joker, he has the nose for it

12. JacksonArcher

Yes, Ledger's performance falters because of his...nose. :wtf:

13. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

No, his Joker just don't look as good.

(Not that it looks bad)

14. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also didn't think Ledger's acting was amazing, OK but I've seen much better villains, he seemed pretty much equivalent to most comic book villains with some being better. The film's overall tone was also too average and not-very-tense compared to the reviews I'd read before.

15. Bad Bishop

I'm already buying you a Blu-ray of The Dark Knight. I might have to pass on other spending. ;)

16. JacksonArcher

You're too kind, BB. And too bad you'd have to do that. It would make me feel so good to give you something of equal value in return. :D

17. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

I did not say that at all. i said he was good as the Joker... but that my vision of the Joker is pointy nose like in a lot of the comics and Batman The Animated Series

18. JacksonArcher

Eh, not that into the aesthetics that much. He had the green hair, the red lipstick, the white make-up...that's enough for me.

19. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Just saw atv ad for the dark knight on dvd and on the screen it said 'Nearly $1 billion worldwide'....weird never seen other movies do that....like Pirates Of The Caribbean - At Worlds End or Pirates Of The Caribbean - Dead Mans Chest

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

He needed to wear a big, red, honker nose.