Want to build an Execelsior bridge model

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by starshipfan, Apr 6, 2014.

1. starshipfan

starshipfan Ensign Red Shirt

Hi All,

I'd like to build a scale model of the Excelsior's bridge (NCC 2000, not NX 2000), but I can't seem to find any accurate dimensions. I know that it was a redress of the Enterprise bridge in ST:VI, but there seem to few accurate references to that I've been able to find. Most layout diagrams I've found either don't have dimensions at all, or are from TOS or ST:TMP, and the TMP version dimensions don't seem very specific. I did a measurement on both of those, and I got about a 19-20" depth for the sunken area of the TOS bridge, but measuring the diagram for the TMP bridge, I get about 9.75", which is ridiculous for having two stair steps. The main measurement that most sources agree on is that the central (sunken) bridge is about 20' across, give or take a few inches.

My question for all of you is: does anyone have any more specific dimensions for the ST:VI Enterprise or Excelsior bridges? I'd even take specs for the ST:V bridge. Elevation specs would be particularly helpful, as would perimeter station and support strut profiles. Also such things as turbolift interior diameter and center of bridge to center of turbolift spacing. I doubt this last dimension changed much, despite the changing turbolift positions.

Again, any help will be greatly appreciated. I'll probably start with a 1:20 scale and go up from there if time and resources permit. Thanks.

Lewis

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I have no idea if the info in these mags was correct (and I don't think there were measurements, but if the proportions were right I guess you could scale it up based around the idea of standard size human), but the old STAR TREK THE MAGAZINE used to have representations of various sets done as computer art -- would imagine the TFF, TUC & EXC & E-B bridges are probably all represented in various issues.

I've seen measurements for the TMP bridge that indicated it was only a couple feet bigger than the TOS one, and that the TNG bridge was about the same size, only deeper. The numbers I keep remembering were 36 or 39 feet, does any of that sound familiar to anyone?

I think the TUC or EXC bridges could be fun in model form -- to represent the blue monitor screens, you could probably use microfiche if anybody still has any ... I used to use microfiche in the 80s -- literally thousands of them, discarded by WaldenBooks -- for my science fiction ship sets, both in full-size sets and in miniature ones ... when you backlight the microfiche, you can see all the variances (where the print is against the overall blue cst) and it really sells that you're looking at something complex.

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

The illustrations trevanian is referring to can be viewed here. Some of them are sort of cartooney; I. wouldn't rely on them for any accurate measurements or angles.

I do hope you are able to find an accurate resource to work from; after all these years and so many different sets, the TUC bridge is still my favorite design, and this sounds like it would be a fun project to tackle. Best of luck!

4. starshipfan

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, I've seen the 35.5' overall diameter number in some thread or other, but that doesn't say if that's measured from the base of the stations, the back of the stations, or the turbolift doors.

I've also seen the "cartooney" on ex-astris-scientia.org, as well as a number of plans and diagrams on sites like http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php.

Many of these are excerpts from various Technical Manuals and "blueprint" issues, but most don't have accurate dimensions, if any. A couple of these are currently my best references, and they're for the TOS bridge .vs. the TMP bridge.

my biggest problem using the TMP bridge figures that I might extrapolate (aside from the obviously wrong depth for the central bridge) is that the perimeter stations differ so vastly between TMP and TFF/TUC. I have no reference for what the newer station profile and depth might be. BTW, is it just me, or did they seem to be going back toward the TOS style consoles in shape?

Anyway, that's where I am now.

5. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I agree. The bridge designs from TUC for both Enterprise and Excelsior are outstanding. As an aside, does anyone know why the railing at the foremost part of the bridge is different? And why is there a small light pole in the middle? I don't understand what Meyer was trying to do there?

To the OP: good luck with your project! I hope you're successful in building an Excelsior bridge model and admire your willingness to take on such an endeavor.

--Sran

6. cardinal biggles

There was no railing there in TFF:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tffhd/ch5/tffhd0586.jpg

If I had to guess why there's a different, thinner style of railing at the front, it would be to keep the taller, thicker railing around the rest of the bridge from obstructing the viewscreen in some shots. This also gets into the framing issues with some of the different releases of TUC. The film was shot in Super 35 with a 1.66:1 aspect ratio, but was released to movie theaters in the standard 2.40:1 format. Meanwhile, Nick Meyer's preferred framing is the 2:1 framing as seen on the Special Edition DVD. The 2009 Blu-ray is in 2.40:1, and you can see the differences here:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tuc/ch4/tuc0211.jpg

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tuchd/tuchd0832.jpg

The railing creeps into the bottom of frame on the 2:1 version, but not 2.40:1.

7. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Captain Captain

I don't have anything of help to say but I'm curious: why that modeling subject? I mean the NCC 2K appeared in just one movie and isn't even the main ship. Not that I don't like it, but I guess you already made some other more obvious (the Enterprise or Klingon bridges). If so, can we see some pictures? I love scale models.

8. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why not? It definitely made an impression, as the Excelsior absolutely dominated the opening scenes of the movie. Furthermore, while the set itself was only used once more as the Enterprise-B bridge, elements of that set continued on to the Enterprise-E (namely the wall segments that contained the transporter alcoves) for the remaining TNG movies. And when the Excelsior bridge was rebuilt for "Flashback", it subsequently got redressed as the Prometheus and Equinox bridges.

Interesting note of that railing on the E-A. I'd never noticed it not being there on in TFF, but I'd always thought it was to allow the two guys in the center console to see the blinkie things underneath relatively unobstructed. It really didn't need to be there, except for whenever a guy would be going from one side of the bridge to the other and might need to hold onto something. As for the light pole, given Meyer's love of nautical imagery, it could be his analogue for a ship's main lantern, bell, mast, or wheelhouse. Or all of them. The Excelsior had it too.

Mark

9. starshipfan

Well, I was an old TOS fan - I liked the aesthetic of the Enterprise, but I also liked the Klingon D-7 battlecruiser. When TMP came out, I liked the K'Tinga update more than the D-7, but I loved the Enterprise refit. Finally, when TSFS came out, even though she only appeared for a few minutes, I absolutely fell in love with the Excelsior's design and aesthetic. To date, she's still my favorite Starship.

When she reappeared in TUC, and under Captain Sulu's command, that was just too cool. In any case, I've recently tried to get back into a few hobbies, and I thought doing a scratch build of the Excelsior's bridge might be a fun thing to try. No, I haven't tried a scratch set build before, but when I do get started, I'll try to post some pictures.

One other plus with the Excelsior bridge is that most of the controls are flat panel touch-screen based rather than physical buttons and switches. Even at 1:20 scale, I can hopefully make those look good. :)

Lewis

10. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Captain Captain

11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those are *ridiculously* awesome.

Mark

12. cardinal biggles

They really are quite impressive.

13. starshipfan

14. starshipfan

Hi Everyone,

I didn't really get any responses on more accurate dimensions, so I went with 20' even for the central bridge diameter. I used a bridge (deck 1) layout from the LCARS Blueprint DB as a start and scaled it to 1:20. That filled up most of my dining room table, so I rescaled to 1:32. That turns out to be manageable at about 22" x 33". I don't currently have a place to post the image, but I'll try to line something up (suggestions welcome.) Anyway, I need to mount the layout on a rigid base and then start the real work.

Lewis

15. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

I have had good results with imgur.com. You don't even need to set up an account.